Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Difficulty accepting weight loss

Not sure if topic fits my problem. I had surgery July 6th, no fills yet, I have lost over 15lbs now and that was 2 weeks after surgery..not sure where I am now, trying to wait to my first fill to weigh again. My mind is having a hard time accepting the weight loss. My clothes and the scale tells me I am losing weight, but when I look in the mirror, I still see the rolls and the old me. I know I dont have mental issues lol because I was happy full figured woman, but because looking in the mirror and still seeing myself with the rolls, makes it hard to accept that I have actually lost weight. I know it may sound confusing, but for some reason for me , the reality of the weight loss will set in when I can see it for myself. I have been large for so many years, I forgot what the old me look like or maybe over excited to see what the new me will look like. If anyone can understand where I am coming from, please give me some good advice.

Ann

Well first off, Congrats on the weight loss so far! I can relate with you... I have lost 36lbs since my surgery on June 1st and I don't feel like I look any different than I did before...I don't understand it either...I have gone from a tight 24 to size 18 but it just doesn't seem "real". I have always been a big girl since I was 5yrs old, so I have no idea what it is like to be thin or LOOK thin. Sorry I guess this isn't very helpful, but at least you're not the only one =)

You're doing great... I am the same way :) you're not alone. I've been in a size 18 forever... and still am, even though im down about 35lbs. I can button a 16 but for some reason... can't make myself buy new clothes... (it's the rolls, they ain't pretty) so for now... I'm hanging out in a very loose 18 :)

Hi Ann,

That was my fear as well. I have always looked one way but I realize that it would be exciting to see me differently. We are the same on the inside, we are changing our lives with this surgery. This is a good time for you. You will never not see the rolls but just think of how you will look when they really are gone! I can't wait! I'm just starting the process but am exciting at finally letting the "show girl inside me out". You better get ready to do the same. all the best.

Not sure if topic fits my problem. I had surgery July 6th, no fills yet, I have lost over 15lbs now and that was 2 weeks after surgery..not sure where I am now, trying to wait to my first fill to weigh again. My mind is having a hard time accepting the weight loss. My clothes and the scale tells me I am losing weight, but when I look in the mirror, I still see the rolls and the old me. I know I dont have mental issues lol because I was happy full figured woman, but because looking in the mirror and still seeing myself with the rolls, makes it hard to accept that I have actually lost weight. I know it may sound confusing, but for some reason for me , the reality of the weight loss will set in when I can see it for myself. I have been large for so many years, I forgot what the old me look like or maybe over excited to see what the new me will look like. If anyone can understand where I am coming from, please give me some good advice.

Ann

You're doing so well! It took me a little bit before I really started noticing the weight loss by appearence, because I have been really large for so long. However, the best advice that I have, is to look at it not from the appearence point of view, but from a health and well being point of view. Even if you think you don't look different, what can you do differently that you couldn't do before? How much better do you feel? Do you have pride about the big step you have taken?

Personally, I believe that appearence should be very low on the list of motivators to lose weight. It is the icing on the cake that will come with time.

You're already doing really well! Just keep at it, and I know that you'll see the results you want really soon!

Hang in there. It took me losing 50 pounds before I could really see a difference. Then, it's hard to believe sometimes that you can actually shop in the "normal" department at the stores. After 50 lbs, I noticed I would go down a size every 10 lbs. It's awesome!

Congratulations! You're doing fantastic! And I don't see myself differently in the mirror yet, either. I'm down 116 lbs., but unless I look at a picture of myself before I started against a picture now, I don't see it. If you have a before and current photo, look at them. You'll see it. Keep up the great work!

I am at almost 80 pounds lost and still have a hard time seeing it! Like a lot of the other posts - I've been big so long I'm not sure what I will look like! I've been working out like crazy too! Just this weekend I had to go and get some new pants - mine are constantly falling down :lol: . I went from a size 26/28 to a size 18/20. And I thought - Hmmm maybe this is working! You are doing awesome! Keep at it and you will have an aha moment before you know it!

I get what u r saying. I've lost 16 lbs and dont see it. Especially since i am just fitting BACK into my older fatty clothed. Lol. But i know we'll see it and feel it with time

I am in a similar situation as you. I can look at a picture and say that there is a difference but day to day I feel that I look the same. I can tell you that I feel different physically. I have been working out 4 days a week and I would have NEVER done that 30 pounds ago. I say that I can feel it because as my weight is going down my endurance is climbing. I used to be able to do 5 min on the arc trainer (like an eliptical) and now I can do 15. Those are the moments that I say to myself, "Your onto something here!" I have moments when I feel pretty too and that rarely happened at 240 pounds. I think it is the little things that make the difference to me.

I wear a size six, have impressive biceps and make fat jokes about myself all the time. I always forget that I'm thin! I think it's neither here nor there though. On the health front my body knows what's happened and that's the important part. The rest will come in time, I figure.

You can see you're not alone with these feelings! I have lost 30 lbs and I do notice a slight difference in my appearance, but since 2008 I've been yo-yo-ing with my weight and I've been in the 270s every summer since then, so while I'm 30 lbs lighter than I was, I am still the same as I have been for the past few summers! In 2008 I got down to 256.4 and I think once I'm in that general weight range again I will really start noticing a difference.

"Before" pics are really good and do "progress" pics as well. I need to be taking pics of myself more regularly. As Roziecakes said, the health and mobility aspects are often easier to measure and even more rewarding than changes in appearance.

I think how you are feeling is par forte course. Don't be suprised though if at some point you look in the mirror and don't recognize yourself. it happened to me after I lost 40 lbs not did I not recognize myself but no one else did either. It was weird, still is. People told me I looked like I did at 25 so I looked back at those pictures and it got better. I didn't think there was a stranger in my mirror. Pictures are good but grab a few measurements as well, i really. see progress there.