Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cruising with the lap band!

Did anyone go on a cruise while banded? How did it work out and what did you eat? I have 2 days in New Orleans and 4 nights on a cruise next month. Any suggestions? There will be tons of food available! Also, I was goingto get a fill the week before-is that a good idea or no? Thanks!

You'll be fine! I got a fill the week before our week-long cruise. The nice thing is that since all the food is already paid for, you have no reason to feel guilty if you only eat a few bites of whatever you're having. There were always plenty of options for me- the only thing I missed having was greek yogurt.

I went on a 4 day Mexican cruise in March (loved it so much were going on a 7 dayer in Sep!) And I actually lost 2 lbs. I irritated my bnand on the first nite (by getting seasick I vomited for hrs and that irritated my bnand) causing me to eat very little during the cruiise. But there's a great selection 4 u 2 choose from so u should have no problem. I haven't been filled in a yr and I'm getting a fill in Aug a month before my cruise. I'm not too worried about it. Have fun!

Marci

My Wife and I cruise at least once a year. Just got back from a 9 night RCL cruise this June.

My new habits now, are the same when on a ship. Simple fact is I'm not all that hungry. I approached dinner the same as I would going to a restaurant at home. Emphasize the Protein, skip the large appetizers (they will fill you up before you get at the entree) ans maybe a low fat dessert.

I NEVER went to the buffet at all on the cruise. No reason to, except for Breakfast were I ordered a omelet, and could only eat 1/2 at best. No other sides.

When things like Cookies etc were made available, I would grab one, nibble, then throw it away.

You have a good opportunity to exercise. All ships have a fitness center which I did every morning. Also use the stairs instead of the elevators.

There were many days I went without lunch. Especially when off the ship at a beach, etc.

Alcohol was not a problem, has not been with me since being banded. Although I am not a heavy drinker, it's hard to avoid any on a ship. Had at least 2 -3 drinks a day. A lite beer or 2 by the pool or at the beach.

I have cruised 3 times since being banded. If it were me, I'd postpone the fill until I got back. Which is what I did for my first fill. My reason not being that I wanted to eat more, but that if there were any problems I could not get in to see a band doctor. I've been overfilled since then, you really don't want to be on vacation and overfilled!

Unlike a previous poster, I do mostly buffet. That way I can totally control my portions and choices. I grab the small plate, check out all the choices before putting anything on it, and go from there. Stick to your normal eating pattern as much as you can. For me that is a cup of coffee in the morning then an hour or two later I eat my Breakfast. Well, on cruises we usually have coffee, fruit, and croissants delivered daily. On our last cruise in March, I discovered that this plan didn't work any longer at my current fill level. Every day I tried to eat fruit with my coffee I'd end up stuck. Once I went back to my normal pattern, all was right with the world.

I'm going on a cruise in late Sept (Oasis of the Seas) and already talked to my doctor about this, and she said she will not do a fill 2 weeks before I go on the cruise. She doesn't want me stuck in the ocean or in another country if I should have problems. I don't know how I'll react to the massive amounts of food on the ship. I have great restriction right now and am able to eat anything, just in much smaller portions. I have a feeling I'll be just fine and will end up trying a few things and feeling satisfied with the one or two bites of treat items.

Actually, I'm really looking forward to the fish dishes on the ship. They are wonderful. My breakfast will most likely be eggs with some lox, or a well toasted 1/2 a bagel with the inside scooped out, a little cream cheese, lox, Tomato and onion. Yummy!

As far as drinking, I'm not a big drinker but enjoy a mojito before dinner and sometimes a Baileys on ice in the evening. I'll still do this knowing that I'm now a cheaper date than before since I have very little in my stomach to buffer the drinks.

We did already book dinner at Chops Grille (Royal Caribbean); their steak is amazing. I'll get the 6oz filet and just eat half. My husband will devour the rest.

I haven't been on a cruise, but my doctor also said he didn't want to do a fill before I went on my honeymoon for the same reasons mentioned above. You could end up too tight or have complications and be not able to eat. I would wait until you get back to get a fill, and just try to make good choices while on your cruise. Have a great trip!

Wait until after the cruise for a fill, for sure. I went on my first cruise in May 2011 and I had a pretty easy time food wise. If I went to the buffett it was easy because I could choose what would work for me. If I went to the dining room there was a wide enough selection that I always found something. I think you wont have a problem.

I did a 7 day cruise 8 weeks post op last year with out having a fill. My doctor and I chose not to do the first fill until after I returned - just in case of complications. I did not have any issues with food on the ship. I did bring my Protein Shake mix just in case I had food issues. I ate in the main dining room 3 times the rest of my meals were in the buffet line. The only thing that I was disappointed in was that I wanted to enjoy a glass of wine or a cocktail at night with my husband but I always felt "full", like I just didn't have room for the drink. I did gain 6lbs on the cruise but I think it was mostly Water retention - When I got home those 6lbs were gone in a week. Just listen to your body, try not to overeat, try to make good choices in your food, drink lots of water. Have fun - enjoy your vacation. I can't wait till our next cruise - we have booked a family Christmas cruise for December 2012 - I know crazy, I am already counting down the days :)