Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, everyone! I am new to this and just want to ask: Was it worth it?

I turn 35 on Sunday and the last time I weighed myself I was 303 pounds. I have 2 amazing kids who I can't keep up with and I can't live with the thought that I may be missing things in their lives or (even worse) may be passing my bad habits on to them. Like all of you, I have tried numerous weight loss methods and had no lasting effects. So, I've decided to look into surgery and my first appointment for evaluation is 8/22 which leaves me plenty of time to ponder the impact a Lap Band could have on my life.

PLEASE share your input and experiences, I have already found so much information on this site and appreciate your help!

Was it worth it? absoFREAKINGlutely!!!!!

I was 48 when I had my surgery a week after my youngest graduated from high school. I was as active in their lives as I could be but missed out on so much with them. I plan on making up for it by being one active granny!! They just need to start giving me some grandbabies!

Aside from having my kids, having my lapband was the best thing I ever did for myself. I went from 324 - size 4X to my current 180 - size 12. I was on the verge of so many health problems and am convinced that I wouldn't lived any longer than my father did (he died at 63). Now I'm healthy, active and happy in my own skin. My kids are thrilled with the changes in me. There is no better sound than when your child says "Mom, I'm so proud of you!"

Was it worth it? absoFREAKINGlutely!!!!!

I was 48 when I had my surgery a week after my youngest graduated from high school. I was as active in their lives as I could be but missed out on so much with them. I plan on making up for it by being one active granny!! They just need to start giving me some grandbabies!

Aside from having my kids, having my lapband was the best thing I ever did for myself. I went from 324 - size 4X to my current 180 - size 12. I was on the verge of so many health problems and am convinced that I wouldn't lived any longer than my father did (he died at 63). Now I'm healthy, active and happy in my own skin. My kids are thrilled with the changes in me. There is no better sound than when your child says "Mom, I'm so proud of you!"

100% yes !!! I was 48 when banded and have the band for 3 years now. I lost 60 lbs so far. I was out of control, lose 10 gain 15. Years of strugle. I am greatful for the band and would do it again with no reservations.

Essentially, I've got about 100 pounds gone in six months. I'm off most of my meds, I can do my job better, I sleep better, I look years younger, and I look forward to living, not struggling with getting through a day. Oh yeah, the band is totally worth it.

But make no mistake: You need to be in charge. The band is just a tool toward weight loss, and you have to be the one to work that tool. If you manage it right, you can and will lose weight. The rest is all about how well you manage it, for your body and daily life.

Good luck on your journey!

Dave

Essentially, I've got about 100 pounds gone in six months. I'm off most of my meds, I can do my job better, I sleep better, I look years younger, and I look forward to living, not struggling with getting through a day. Oh yeah, the band is totally worth it.

But make no mistake: You need to be in charge. The band is just a tool toward weight loss, and you have to be the one to work that tool. If you manage it right, you can and will lose weight. The rest is all about how well you manage it, for your body and daily life.

Good luck on your journey!

Dave

I love hearing from the other side ... thanks for sharing !

Absolutely!!!! I'm 7 months post op and have lost 90 lbs...I started at 325 wearing a 4x top and an uncomfortably tight 28 pants and now I'm in a L top and comfortable size 18 pants. I haven't been this weight in 20 years and I feel great! I'm no longer on BP meds and I spent my free time actually doing things with my family rather that just sitting on the sofa!

It is a lot of work to do this correctly but the benefits are so with it!!!

ABSOLUTELY~ I am 3 weeks post op and LOVE MY BAND- I was always tired - took a nap every day no energy- Now I have tons of energy already - have not taken any meds for Diabeties in 3 weeks! ~ Feel great no more naps and its just getting better - now I will keep having more energy to play with my gransdon and my grandson that is on the way~ Can;t wait to weigh in in the morning and see how much more weight I lost-

Just remmeber the band is a tool- you still ahve to so your part however the band has helped me stay focused and gives me more desire to continue with good habits

200 lbs in 2 years. Yes, definitely worth it. It is Dedication, Determination & Desire. It's getting up every day and trying. It's never giving up .. not to say there might not be a moment of weakness or some bad choices here and there.. but string more good choices together than bad.. and that will equal success.

Definitely worth it. I was 282 when I started the WLS program. I'm quite sure I would be up to 300 right now- instead, in the 8 months I've lost 42 pounds (31 since surgery).

Absolutely worth it! I went from 293 to 162 currently. I wish I did it sooner. I've had very little problems and lost weight without much of a problem, and before the lap band, I had felt total despair. Good luck! :)