Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doc's answer on carbonation....love it!!

:biggrin1: I went in for my 2nd fill today and asked my doctor the big question about sodas and tonic waters. Dr. Spivak said not to worry about carbonation, it DOES NOT hurt the band. If you drink it too fast you might have to contend with alot of bubbles or it coming back up. But, he told me to drink the diet soda, carbonated Water or that gin & tonic with lime that I have been wanting so badly!!! :clap2: :dance: :) In moderation...sips not gulps. I have gotten use to not drinking sodas anyways but it's nice to know that I have the option!!

My doc (Dr. Billy) agrees that carbonation won't hurt the band. However, he doesn't allow me diet sodas because the chemicles cause the same spike & crash cravings as carb cravings. But there's no sugar in Perrier or club soda, so a Gin & Soda with lime sounds good to me! As long as I give up a couple ounces of my daily Protein, I like my kooktails!

I had the coldest tastiest beer the other day but wow did it hurt after I got it about half down. So I got up and walked around and got the buuurp out and was fine again. It seems I can't burp as easily with the band but the beer tasted fine. I wouldn't do that everyday but it was goooood while it lasted.

Glad to hear the take of your docs. My doc is so persnickity that I wouldn't even broach this subject with him.....

I never really listened to just one surgeon since they all have different opinions. I asked Dr. Billy straight up why band surgeons forbid carbonation. Billy said there's no documented proof that it causes slippage or erosion, but surgeons are concerned that gas might get trapped in the lower belly and cause discomfort. Mainly, carbonation can cause pain. Billy also said something as crazy as a hiccup or a band sneeze could potentially cause slippage, so avoiding carbonation isn't one of his rules unless it contains sugar or artificial sweetners (the fun stuff.) He reminded me that bandsters don't miss the carbonation, they miss the crap inside. I, however, do enjoy club soda with lime. Sure, I'd rather have gin and tonic, but then I have to count those calories. Blah.

I take all the info from all the surgeons and toss it in a blender to come up with a more universal set of rules.

My doc says absolutely NO to carbonations. Not that is "hurts" the band but that it causes low results and pouch expansion. The reasoning seems to make sense to me and is reasonable, therefore, no carbonation for me.

I was drinking a lot of sodas after my 2nd fill. Since I've had my 3rd fill I'm really restricted and have maybe one a week. It takes me 2-3 days to drink 20 ozs and it's usually flat by the time I finish. I buy the 20 oz diet Sprite and drink what I want, cap it off and put it back in the fridge. :)

My doctor too says no sodas, but I drink very little at one time and no big gulps.

When I was less restricted I would indulge in a soda once and awhile. Now I feel gassy and bloated if I drink more than a few sips. I do so miss my amaretto and sours and diet pepsi with lime. But I don't miss feeling like I'm going to burst, either. It's all a trade off, isn't it?

It's good to hear a respected Dr.'s opinion.

Megan

Dr. Ortiz told me that even though his nutritionist says no more soda ever, he disagrees. He says it doesn't hurt the band, but it can hurt the person. He says once in awhile is fine for it but not to much. I had half a can of soda about a month ago and I had to stop because I got gas pains so bad from the bubbles. I am also used to not being allowed to have it so it doesn't really bother me anymore!

My doctor says no to sodas period. He says it can cause expansion to the band which will in time make you lose good restriction to the point that fills won't work anymore.

I am not a soda drinker, but this thread interested me because of the recent posts about erosions. It would seem to me that the carbonation would cause the lower stomach and upper pouch to swell, putting pressure on both the band and the stomach wall. Aside from the obvious discomfort that this could cause, could it not also cause stomach erosion?

This is kind of crossing two threads now, but in the discussions about fills I noticed people saying that the docs in Mexico are far more aggressive with their fills. Probably because they want the restriction to last seeing that the patients live so far away. At the same time, we see more erosions coming from the bands 'installed' in Mexico. Which to me indicates suspicion of the band being too tight on the stomach, thereby rubbing through the tissue or possibly tearing it (erosion). If this is true, would we not be risking the same results by blowing up our stomachs with carbonate drinks or over-stuffing ourselves with food? How many times have I seen people talk about 'testing the limits' or 'pushing the band to see how far they could go before PBs'?

I paid out of my own pocket for this extraordinary piece of plastic in my stomach. I am putting a huge amount of faith and hope into its success. I'll be damned if I want to test it or push it to the point of ruining what I feel is my last hope.

Cheers! Hope it goes ok! :) I have only tried the diet coke and that was with alot of ice so it was kind of water-down! But I am going to try the Gin & Tonic this weekend! :xena_banana:

We are too much alike! What is your sign? I am a Taurus! This is scary!! LOL!