Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi everyone

Today is my first day to post here, I am one week post op ( surgery7/14) and I have my first check up today. I am feeling pretty good and have enjoyed just reading your posts, although I have experienced "gas" its been controllable with Gas X strips. I like most of you am not getting the 64 oz of Water in and calories lol well thats tough too.....I've been starting each morning with a cup of hot Decaf with a pack of sugar free hot chocolate, I am not a coffee drinker but I sure can't do hot tea, couple of hours after that I drink a Protein Shake. Water drinking after that until lunch time.

I just thought I would jump in with my 2 cents, congrats to you all and I think this journey will be much easier with all of you around :)

Finally dropped back down to 172! Yea! Alright, now I'm on a mission to drop 9 pounds by Sept. 27. My hubby's birthday and 163 puts me at a bmi of 29! I have a LBD (little black dress) that is elegant and should fit with that weight. Or, maybe I should go for my hot pink calvin klein... I love having options! Either way it will be a happy birthday for my hubby!

Finally dropped back down to 172! Yea! Alright, now I'm on a mission to drop 9 pounds by Sept. 27. My hubby's birthday and 163 puts me at a bmi of 29! I have a LBD (little black dress) that is elegant and should fit with that weight. Or, maybe I should go for my hot pink calvin klein... I love having options! Either way it will be a happy birthday for my hubby!

Congratssss :) ths sounds great and so encouraging.... keep it up and let us now about the dress rolleyes.gif

Congratulations Kim 50! I'm joining the "Band" wagon on Friday. I'm horribly nervous about the gas pains that everyone keeps talking about. I did order a heating pad and Gas-X strips so I'm ready for it. My doctor also advised that getting up and walking every hour will really help. Congratulations once again.

May

21eeb1ed6596b3b.gif

hi everyone

Today is my first day to post here, I am one week post op ( surgery7/14) and I have my first check up today. I am feeling pretty good and have enjoyed just reading your posts, although I have experienced "gas" its been controllable with Gas X strips. I like most of you am not getting the 64 oz of Water in and calories lol well thats tough too.....I've been starting each morning with a cup of hot Decaf with a pack of sugar free hot chocolate, I am not a coffee drinker but I sure can't do hot tea, couple of hours after that I drink a Protein Shake. Water drinking after that until lunch time.

I just thought I would jump in with my 2 cents, congrats to you all and I think this journey will be much easier with all of you around :)

Hi, I'm also from Jacksonville. I'm looking at having the surgery in September. How did you feel about the plication? Are you more sore, did you have to stay out of work longer? They kind of sprung it on me at my appt. He said it was an "investigational" technique. Then when I talked to the psychologist, she said that insurance might not cover that. So I called Patti. She said yes it was an extra $800. I'm trying to determine if it is worth it. Would love to keep in touch.

Would love to stay in touch with you too. The Plication is probably why I returned to work on Wednesday (following a Thurs surgery) instead of the Monday like Dr. Cywes stated. It was OK though - now that being said. I had a hernia repair, lapband and Plication. I am also 59 yrs old (but in very good health). For 4-5 days, I thought I was going to DIE. My blood pressure dropped very low and I felt wierd. I gagged on evertyhing and my body was saying NO more liquids - you need something more substantial. I actually ate 1/2 cup of potato Soup and I was a new woman and then on the road to recovery. Between surgery and my 1 week appointment I dropped 15.5 pounds ! I returned to working full time and driving myself to work 9 days after the sugery. My port spot and naval area are a bit sore but not bad. I am eating solid food (just not much). For me, the Plication was wonderful and I am glad I had it done. In fact at my last pre-op appointment (I was in a group of 6 that day) all 6 had the Plication and when I saw them at their post op appointment NO ONE was sorry. I know it is still in the investigation stage but go on-line and do your own research. I only found 2 surgeons in Florida doing them. Cywes and one in Palm Beach. It is reversable and I think it is going to give me what I need to finally loose my weight. I have plans on loosing 108 pounds - as of today, I am down 25.5 of those pounds so hey, something is working. I am not scheduled to get a fill until 8/9. Since you said your surgery is not until Sept. you have time to give it some thought and some research but I for one am very happy. 2 weeks tomorrow ! Stay in touch and good luck with your decision and your weight loss.,

Melinda

Thanks everyone. MissMay, you and I could be twins for weight loss! LOL.

I'm shooting for 120, but I'm going to see how I look/feel at 140. I'm well endowed in chest so not sure super skinny is best look for me. I'm only 5'3" but have athletic build. How is everyone else determining their goal weight? Maybe I'm not being realistic...

I would check in with your surgeon's office to see what they recommend....if you get dehydrated you'll end up in the emergency room and that's no fun!

I have the opposite problem....I've been starving since day 3 after surgery. I have NO restriction and am totally bummed out about it. Have to wait 6 weeks for a fill too. Doesn't help I've only lost 2 lbs. since start of pre-op diet. Looks like this weight loss may be slower for me than I expected. Hoped to reach goal in 6 months for my 40th birthday but that's looking like a bit of a pipe dream now. :(

Shauna

I'm a little worried.

I am one week post op and still feeling really stuffed almost all the time. I had some Soup at 11 a.m. and it is now 9 p.m. and I feel like I just ate a huge meal. Drinking just makes it more intense. Do you think that is normal? I know I'm not getting enough calories or fluids, and I'm really starting to grieve the loss of food. I need a pep talk. sad.gif

Hey April,

I am sure that everyone has set your fears to rest, but thought that I would add too. I am 13 days out and although my stomach has been growling forever, I am not wanting to eat too much food. At the one week mark, I could get full on a half container of sugar free pudding. I was probably getting 300-400 calories a day and only around 20 ounces of Water. If you read my rant on the forum last Friday, you will find that I truly has a couple of "what was I thinking days" I cried over a stupid KFC commercial!!!!:blink: However, as soon as I gave myself my little pitty party, I started to turn a corner on feeling better and knowing this was a good choice for me. So Hang in there, If I can say it gets better, than it must.

Lisa

I'm a little worried.

I am one week post op and still feeling really stuffed almost all the time. I had some Soup at 11 a.m. and it is now 9 p.m. and I feel like I just ate a huge meal. Drinking just makes it more intense. Do you think that is normal? I know I'm not getting enough calories or fluids, and I'm really starting to grieve the loss of food. I need a pep talk. sad.gif

Shauna,

Cut yourself a break! :) You're only 5 days postop and you're thinking your goal might not happen? Never! Six months is a long way away. Also, you have less to lose than many of us, so you won't lose weight as quickly. Many of us have 100+ lbs to lose. Hang in there...you'll do great. My doc says exercise is ok after the first month, so once you add that in, I bet you'll see some more loss. Don't be discouraged - you've got to give yourself time to heal.

Amy

I would check in with your surgeon's office to see what they recommend....if you get dehydrated you'll end up in the emergency room and that's no fun!

I have the opposite problem....I've been starving since day 3 after surgery. I have NO restriction and am totally bummed out about it. Have to wait 6 weeks for a fill too. Doesn't help I've only lost 2 lbs. since start of pre-op diet. Looks like this weight loss may be slower for me than I expected. Hoped to reach goal in 6 months for my 40th birthday but that's looking like a bit of a pipe dream now. :(

Shauna

Hi All,

I am new to the board but have been reading for days now. I am scheduled for my band tomorrow morning at 7:30. I am so nervous that this won't work for me. I was prescribed a 10 day pre-op diet of 800-960 calories with no restriction on what the calories can be and I have not been able to follow it. I feel like I am already sabotaging myself. It irritates me so much because I want to be health and loose this weight more than anything. I went to a meeting at my docs office last week and asked the nutritionist if I would be starving during the post-op liquid phase of the diet and she said she has never been hungry a day in her life after getting banded. I have been reading on here about how pretty much everyone is starving until they move on to solids or have a fill. I too am self pay and don't want to let myself or my family down after paying so much money. I feel like all I do is think about food and can't stop myself. I am trying to be positive and keep telling myself I can do this but I am definitely scared. Thanks for listening.

Janette

Shauna!! Don't give up so quickly! You just had surgery, so give your body time. I remember the doctor telling me that it takes a few fills to get to the right place and how frustrating it is going to be in the beginning. I know many others are "starving" right now too, so you're not alone. I have a feeling that next week will be when hunger rears it's ugly head and I'll be miserable too. Also, I only lost a couple pounds during pre-op, so I'm way behind the others as well. But, I know I'll get there eventually, and so will you! Stay positive!!smile.gif

Shauna

I've been given the ok to advance to pureed foods! I'm so excited to have pureed eggs and potatoes! Yumm! Banded one week Fri and 25lbs down!

Hi Janette,

I definitely understand why you're so scared. My biggest fear is failing the band (the band can't fail me!) after all the hard work and time I put into getting the band.

If you've read all the posts on here, you know that the first few weeks post-band varies greatly, as does the diet prescribed by our different doctors. I've gone off the wagon twice since I was banded, but I got back on the "band wagon" and have lost a total of 5 pounds since I was banded two weeks ago, but a total of 33 pounds since May 17, so no complaints here.

The best advice I can give (as a newly banded person) is to not be hard on yourself. One thing I have found myself doing for the first time in my life is reading nutrition labels on food. I'm trying to weigh what my body needs vs. what my brain wants. I have found that I no longer have ANY taste for bread. Bread was my number 1 food mourning item. For some reason I no longer want it, thank goodness!

So, one day at a time, one food choice at a time, one choice to exercise at a time. If you fall short on one decision, don't throw the baby out with the bath Water, just make a better decision the next time.

Will be thinking about you, good luck and speedy recovery.

Kate

Here is the way I look at it: Sure, I may be hungry and have all the side effects that go with it but I know that I will be able to eat again only this time I will be better prepared for it.

Guys, its all in the mind. It REALLY is. BELIEVE in yourself. BELIEVE that you can do this... DO everything in your power to make it happen for yourself, and you will see... you WILL achieve your goal.

I understand doubts, fear of pain, frustrations, anxiety, depression... and so much more. But let me tell you... you are SO much stronger than you think you are.

After my cancer diagnosis, I lived by the motto: You never know how strong you are until you HAVE to be. Get your mind in the right place if you start to obsess on your hunger... go find something to do whether around the house or even go out and shop for a smaller pair of pants. Chances are, if you ignore that hunger ... you'll be fitting in them in no time! <3

(If this is what you believe) My favorite bible verse... Isaiah 41:10