Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Purebred Longhaired German Shepherd

Through a friend of a co-worker of mine, I got to adopt a 1 year old purebred long haired german shepherd. I was looking for a German shepherd for a couple months now.... buying one from a reputable breeder would cost over $1500...and the ones at the shelter didn't fit my lifestyle.

But the one I just got is pure sweetheart. She gets along with my current dog, who is a 30lb Beagle/Dashchund mix.

I'll have to take some pictures of her. She's gorgeous. 100lb shepherd..which is REALLY BIG for a female German Shepherd...(average male is about 80lbs). We expect her to fill out to about 120lbs.

So why is this relevant?

I hope to do some training with Bella and get exercise with her. She's already got me waking up at 4:30 this morning to let her outside. I'm in front of the computer, getting some much needed work done..and now I'm taking a break to write this post. She's already a good influence on me....:rolleyes:

Dogs are a great form of exercise, except mine who is almost 16 years old and prefers to sleep most of the day. When I do take him out, he just lumbers along at a slow pace which frustrates me. He lets me work on the computer all day but will get me up too early in the morning. Congratulations on your new dog (and have fun with them both)!

Lucky you on the dog. I would love to have a purebred shepherd. I have a beautiful picture of one on my bulletin board that I admire ... maybe someday I can be as lucky as you and find one cheap or free.

Through a friend of a co-worker of mine, I got to adopt a 1 year old purebred long haired german shepherd. I was looking for a German shepherd for a couple months now.... buying one from a reputable breeder would cost over $1500...and the ones at the shelter didn't fit my lifestyle.

But the one I just got is pure sweetheart. She gets along with my current dog, who is a 30lb Beagle/Dashchund mix.

I'll have to take some pictures of her. She's gorgeous. 100lb shepherd..which is REALLY BIG for a female German Shepherd...(average male is about 80lbs). We expect her to fill out to about 120lbs.

So why is this relevant?

I hope to do some training with Bella and get exercise with her. She's already got me waking up at 4:30 this morning to let her outside. I'm in front of the computer, getting some much needed work done..and now I'm taking a break to write this post. She's already a good influence on me....:rolleyes:

They are my favorite breed since we had one when I was a child. King was the smartest dog I'd ever had , until we got Charlie our Kerry Blue Terrier. German shepards are beautiful and smart, and very protective. Congratulations!

I'm sorry but cheap or free dogs are not something to look for. Dogs take a lot of money to care for and if you can't pay for the dog, you might want to reconsider getting one (things come up...annual vet visits are normal but anything can happen and I'm sure you'd want to be able to pay to keep your dog happy and healthy).

With that said, if you're looking for a purebred shepard that is not the price a major breeder would charge - consider looking at AKC's website and you'll find rescue groups for purebred dogs. Search anywhere online and I'm sure you can find a shepard rescue group. Rescues will charge a fee based on the dog (the more adoptable, the higher the price...so a german shepard puppy in good health could go from $300-500), a young adult might be closer to $150-300 and a sickly dog or a senior dog is likely to be free or cheap. If you are serious about that breed, I highly recommend looking into the rescues that focus on the breed you like and I'm sure you can find one that really needs a good home.

(Sorry if that seemed like a lecture...I'm a major advocate for responsible pet ownership and feel some people don't realize what a responsibility a dog is. If you have any questions or want help in finding more information, I'd be more than happy to try and help)

Lucky you on the dog. I would love to have a purebred shepherd. I have a beautiful picture of one on my bulletin board that I admire ... maybe someday I can be as lucky as you and find one cheap or free.

It seemed more like an unjustified rant to me ... I am a responsible pet owner and can afford to properly care for the ones I have. I think you missed my entire point.

I'm sorry but cheap or free dogs are not something to look for. Dogs take a lot of money to care for and if you can't pay for the dog, you might want to reconsider getting one (things come up...annual vet visits are normal but anything can happen and I'm sure you'd want to be able to pay to keep your dog happy and healthy).

With that said, if you're looking for a purebred shepard that is not the price a major breeder would charge - consider looking at AKC's website and you'll find rescue groups for purebred dogs. Search anywhere online and I'm sure you can find a shepard rescue group. Rescues will charge a fee based on the dog (the more adoptable, the higher the price...so a german shepard puppy in good health could go from $300-500), a young adult might be closer to $150-300 and a sickly dog or a senior dog is likely to be free or cheap. If you are serious about that breed, I highly recommend looking into the rescues that focus on the breed you like and I'm sure you can find one that really needs a good home.

(Sorry if that seemed like a lecture...I'm a major advocate for responsible pet ownership and feel some people don't realize what a responsibility a dog is. If you have any questions or want help in finding more information, I'd be more than happy to try and help)

It seemed more like an unjustified rant to me ... I am a responsible pet owner and can afford to properly care for the ones I have. I think you missed my entire point.

:lol: I'm with alOvely here. Although I applaud you, Papillon Princess, for your enthusiasm and advocacy of responsible pet ownership, of which I am 100% in agreement, I think you totally missed al0vely's post.

Also, it seems like you have some knowledge about dogs... the thing with long-haired shepherds is that they're not very desirable, hence the lower cost. $2000 for a long-haired is near the upper extreme.

The reason behind this is that in the US (not speaking for Europe), short-haired GSDs are accepted as the 'standards' so no one will buy long-haired shepherds to show only. Additionally, long-haired GSDs are a wee bit gentler in their nature so they're not desirable as protection dogs.

Furthermore, long-haired (or long-coat) GSDs either have one coat or two (an additional under coat for more insulation). My Bella does not have an undercoat, which makes her the LEAST desirable of GSDs. However, being that I live in the south... Bella is the perfect dog for me.

When it comes to pure-bred dogs... prices can range from a couple hundred to tens of thousands of dollars. I'm sure there are great differences within the Papillon breed as there are with GSDs.

I would have been more than happy to adopt a GSD from a shelter or a foster home... but this opportunity came up with the co-worker's friend so I couldn't pass it up. Just because I got her for free doesn't mean I won't love her any less...or that I'll spend less money on her than I have done with my current dog.

Anyhow... there was a grand opening at the new dog park in our neighborhood... it was quite the celebration. I took some pictures and I'll have them uploaded and scanned for you to enjoy.

Haha wow...that was not to be offensive. Glad you took it so well...

First off, I did NOT say you were an irresponsible pet owner, I simply went off the information you stated. I have bred dogs, helped in shelters and training programs which is why I react the way I do. I assumed you were saying that you are just wanting someone to hand you a dog for free and not realizing that dogs truly aren't free. Some people don't think of the costs beyond buying the dog (I don't know you, so I took a moment to say my part and hoped that IF you were a dog lover, like myself, you would understand my concern with people making statements like that).

Haha wow...that was not to be offensive. Glad you took it so well...

First off, I did NOT say you were an irresponsible pet owner, I simply went off the information you stated. I have bred dogs, helped in shelters and training programs which is why I react the way I do. I assumed you were saying that you are just wanting someone to hand you a dog for free and not realizing that dogs truly aren't free. Some people don't think of the costs beyond buying the dog (I don't know you, so I took a moment to say my part and hoped that IF you were a dog lover, like myself, you would understand my concern with people making statements like that).

Well said Pap Princess!

I think dogs are such good companions. When I had my accident in 2007, trainers would bring dogs to the spinal center to act as therapy dogs. There were this Rottweiler and a Doberman couple that would come and they would be the sweetest dogs. They didn't care if you were paralyzed or in a wheelchair. I have to say that a large part of my rehabilitation involved these therapy dogs.

I'm assuming you have a Papillon? Smart little dogs, aren't they? My Beagle/Dachshund isn't the brightest, but she's the sweetest dog ever.

Thank you for at least recognizing I meant that in a good way...reading things online, you can't always understand exactly how a person means it. Which may be why I came off the way I did and interpreted her post the way I did.

Thanks for letting me know about the long haired shepards - I've never been around shepards and didn't even know there was a difference with long haired vs short haired. I definitely understand the dog being loved by you whether it's "valued" in the show ring, by top breeders or just an "oddball". Papillon's that are shown are usually chosen at 6-9 months because they can change drastically! It's about impossible to find a show prospect in a puppy. I personally didn't care whether my little guy was show quality, just as long as he was a good example of the breed (temperament & some physical qualities).

There are major differences between a papillon & gsd for sure, paps are not as well known as the gsd's and I'd say it's probably easier to find a gsd, so price would most likely be lower.

As far as pets just coming along...that's why we have 6 cats, we didn't go out and choose them, they chose us! So I wasn't judging you for having a coworker that just happened to have a dog that worked out perfectly for you. I think it's great that you were available to provide a loving home for her.

We have a dog park here that I take all 3 of my dogs to and they love it! Let us know when you have pix, I'd love to see :)

:lol: I'm with alOvely here. Although I applaud you, Papillon Princess, for your enthusiasm and advocacy of responsible pet ownership, of which I am 100% in agreement, I think you totally missed al0vely's post.

Also, it seems like you have some knowledge about dogs... the thing with long-haired shepherds is that they're not very desirable, hence the lower cost. $2000 for a long-haired is near the upper extreme.

The reason behind this is that in the US (not speaking for Europe), short-haired GSDs are accepted as the 'standards' so no one will buy long-haired shepherds to show only. Additionally, long-haired GSDs are a wee bit gentler in their nature so they're not desirable as protection dogs.

Furthermore, long-haired (or long-coat) GSDs either have one coat or two (an additional under coat for more insulation). My Bella does not have an undercoat, which makes her the LEAST desirable of GSDs. However, being that I live in the south... Bella is the perfect dog for me.

When it comes to pure-bred dogs... prices can range from a couple hundred to tens of thousands of dollars. I'm sure there are great differences within the Papillon breed as there are with GSDs.

I would have been more than happy to adopt a GSD from a shelter or a foster home... but this opportunity came up with the co-worker's friend so I couldn't pass it up. Just because I got her for free doesn't mean I won't love her any less...or that I'll spend less money on her than I have done with my current dog.

Anyhow... there was a grand opening at the new dog park in our neighborhood... it was quite the celebration. I took some pictures and I'll have them uploaded and scanned for you to enjoy.

The AKC is where we found both of our yellow labs 500.00 each and worth every penny :D

Yes they are the best and bring so much joy to my life! I have a papillon and he is what many consider a "therapy dog" ...he's not technically a therapy dog because we don't work with a medical professional. They call them "activity assistance dogs"...he is so wonderful at it too. He LOVES people (young and old), very intelligent and loves to do tricks so people enjoy that. I'm no longer in the medical field but enjoy visiting people who are sick and being able to bring a smile to their face with him.

Yes I do have a papillon, they are the smartest dog I've EVER met! It's amazing how responsive they are and how fast they pick up commands. He's such a happy, outgoing little guy too.

A beagle dachsund mix...yeah I wouldn't think that would be too bright of a dog. The doxie's are known to be pretty stubborn and beagles typically aren't too bright. Both follow their noses more than their ears. The beagles are typically very sweet and doxies can be sweet but have the independent streak. So I can just imagine what she's like! My parents have 2 golden retrievers...and unfortunately they're not like the normal golden - they're stubborn, crazy and don't like to do anything you ask them to do. But they're a BEAUTIFUL example of a golden and very sweet like the goldens.

If you have any pix of the beagle/doxie, I'd love to see! I usually think the doxie mixes are very cute, I've considered getting one in the future but not sure if I want a stubborn natured dog. (I'm sure I could work with them, but after having a pap make life so easy, it might be pretty frustrating!)

Well said Pap Princess!

I think dogs are such good companions. When I had my accident in 2007, trainers would bring dogs to the spinal center to act as therapy dogs. There were this Rottweiler and a Doberman couple that would come and they would be the sweetest dogs. They didn't care if you were paralyzed or in a wheelchair. I have to say that a large part of my rehabilitation involved these therapy dogs.

I'm assuming you have a Papillon? Smart little dogs, aren't they? My Beagle/Dachshund isn't the brightest, but she's the sweetest dog ever.

Labs are amazing dogs! I grew up with labs (we bred labs, so I'm quite familiar with them). The yellow labs are gorgeous, but we always had chocolate labs. Did you have a lot of chewing problems with them when they were puppies? We sure did until they were all about 2 years old, then they finally stopped! Our girls all lived into their mid teens and were quite active and healthy until their last few months. I sure do miss them.

The AKC is where we found both of our yellow labs 500.00 each and worth every penny :D

We have a black lab and he is my walking buddy. We live on dirt road out in the country and one of my favorite things to do after a long work day is grab my music and my dog, Duke, and head down the road for an hour or so. I always take a leash in case I need it.. but rarely use it.. he usually just walks right next to me!

Since it has finally stopped raining I'm going to take my 2 dogs - 9 y/o golden retriever and 18 month old crazy-ass GSD out for a walk and get my 2 miles in! Also, I applaud everyone here, I read the thread and am so happy to be posting on a forum where people listen to each other and don't immediately start flaming one another.

Dogs are great exercise buddies, anyone else here want to be exercise buddies/support for each other? Drop me a note...