Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

surgery in 5 days..scared..help me..

Hi all.. ok my surgery is in 5 days. i'm now doing the 1st day of the 5 day liquid diet.STARVING! CRYING!ANGRY! I'm all alone with this decison i'm making. my weight has been a rollercoaster. kinda like Oprah.ha! so many stories have been good but some discouraging. i'm looking for encouragement @ this point. its only day 1 of liquids & i'm breaking down like a baby. i know this is what i want to do,but don't know if i can stand it. honestly, i've been a weed smoker for over 15yrs..(only 30).i'm having the hardest time letting go. so many things r running through my head. the process has moved quickly say 2 months. going thru apptments & approved within days of my last apptment. just scared

oh my gosh you are my new best friend. i just had my surgery on 5/16 so i'm only about a month ahead of you and the pre-op diet is suck. yes. i recommend cutting out pot completely. honestly, i just got some ambien from my doctor so i could pass out at night... pre-op and the two weeks following surgery are extremely difficult, or at least they were for me. 3 weeks of liquids sucks. but after the first 3-5 days your body goes into 'starvation mode' and you dont feel the ravenous hunger like you do now..

just remember that time is going to pass, anyway. and at least you're doing something proactive. also it's great to see the scale go down so quick those first couple weeks. be strong!

and let me tell ya, i have been smoking pot for the past 14 years and what i've found to work since being banded is that i only smoke at night, now.. simply because it messes me up with food and i'm never sure whether i've not eaten enough, or i've just got the munchies. and i get bad munchies. so after dinner i will maybe set aside a little soft cheese (mostly a lot of water) and try to do other things with my stonedness, like paint, write, take a long hot bath or even clean.

lets email and keep in touch! i havent found anyone else that is a smoker and close to my surgery date.. good luck! and you can do it!!

nNothing to be afraid of - I was banded June8th I am 4 days post op and feel great- I was on a liguid diet for 9 days befor surgery and for the first 5 days after surgery still on liguids The first 2 days are the hardest - keep yourself busy and have lots and lots of Water or crytal lite right next to you... it does get better and easier -- What helped me was I ketp thinking how much weight will I lsoe by surgery day -- it was 11 lbs I was psyched!!! I am not a scale reader I go ont he scale 1x per week - so just hold tight wait ti out and youw ill be successful. it is tough biut will get easier PROMISE!:lol::D

cess has moved quickly say 2 months. going thru apptments & approved within days of my last apptment. just scared

My surgeon is different from most. Yes I was on liquids for 10 days before surgery, but since I was afraid that I couldn't do it, I started the process 4 weeks before my surgery - 2 meals a day liquid and 1 regular (dinner). It is very important to stay on the 10+ days on liquid before surgery to lower the fat on and around your liver.....makes surgery much easier.

But it's after surgery that my surgeon is different. Day 1-3 you are on liquids. Day 4-6 mushies. Day 7-10 soft foods (eggs, fish, etc.) and then after that you slowly start adding regular food to your diet slowly. Some surgeons make you stay on liquids for 4 weeks after surgery.....and there isnt any reason or proof that you are any better off. Yes you may lose more weight, but of course you will since you are only one liquids.....don't need to have lap band to lose weight on liquids LOL.

But, you need to decide if you want to follow you surgeon or not. But, Drummer - you will want to make sure and ask when you can get your first fill.......I had a small fill at my 2 week check up and a larger fill 8 weeks after my surgery and we only waited that long because of x-mas and my surgeon having surgery.

Finally - I will tell you that I was VERY agressive with my fills. I wanted to be tight - I prety much couldn't eat breads or Pasta - but that's was my "drug" of choice. So you will need to ask you surgeon how agreesive you can get. I've lost 110 pounds in 18 months and I'm at my goal

Thank u guys so much;..this really helps. i was just thinking about this website,wondering if anyone replied...:) .. I'm kind of all alone on this. well besides my bestie(she's having surgery also).. she is so very uneducated about this procedure. so the conversation is very minimal...but thx again...i'm going 2 hang in there.

You CAN do it! Remind yourself that many, many people have to do the liquid diet for TWO WEEKS.

I challenge you to do your diet for 5 days with no cheating. Beyond all the reasons your surgeon told you, here's my biggest motivator- because if you do it you will be so proud of yourself. And that pride will help when you're post-surgery and trying to learn your new eating habits. i.e. "if I could stay on a liquid diet for five days before the band, I know I can say no to that bag of chips/caramel macchiato/tub of Ben & Jerry's/fried chicken!"

THX RACHEL....I'M GOING TO DO IT.. FEELING REAL POSITIVE THIS MORNING.. that burrito ripped my stomach up. i had oily bowel movements & my stomach was in pain like cramps. So lets just say lesson learned...

You CAN do it! Remind yourself that many, many people have to do the liquid diet for TWO WEEKS.

I challenge you to do your diet for 5 days with no cheating. Beyond all the reasons your surgeon told you, here's my biggest motivator- because if you do it you will be so proud of yourself. And that pride will help when you're post-surgery and trying to learn your new eating habits. i.e. "if I could stay on a liquid diet for five days before the band, I know I can say no to that bag of chips/caramel macchiato/tub of Ben & Jerry's/fried chicken!"

2 weeks prior to surgery I was on a diet of Water and Protein Shakes. I went through a lot of emotions. I was depressed, angry, lonely (I missed food) and determined (most of the time). I was told that I could have as many shakes as I wanted so that I would not be hungry. Try for 3 have 4 if needed. I started losing about a pound a day. That helped motivate me. Also, I made a paper chain counting down the days, removing one each night. I needed something visual. It will get better. You can do this. Think about how healthy you will be and how much life you will have left.

Ok, you need to get rid of the pot...seriously. Pot makes you want to eat- it's called giving you the munchies...sound familiar? Secondly, your post-op pain meds aren't going to work as well for you since all your receptors are going to be blocked by the pot. Have you considered stop using drugs and see if that helps your weight? I won't even mention all the other bad stuff that crap is doing to your body, or the fact that it majorly impairs your judgement, affects the ability to drive safely, hmmm....anyways, I hope you mention to your doc and your anesthesiologist that you smoke pot as this can affect the medications they can use on for surgery.