Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on 6/2 and the gas pain is excrutiating

Someone please tell me that this pain that I am getting from the gas, ( I know is normal) but will it go away? I am so scared that this isnt going to stop. I know I need to stay hydrated and drink drink drink but I am scared due to the gas pain. What did you do to help? Please suggestions! And to top it off, I started opp at 228.2 and today I am down to 219.1! Yikes.... That is the most weight I have ever lost in just 4 days. Whats up with that?

It will go away, but you can help it a lot. First of all walk, walk, and walk some more. If you have to, do laps around the house or yard. I walked 6 blocks about 4 times a day. Also gas-x comes in dissolvable strips. Take those as needed. You have to drink unless you want to end up in the hospital. I put myself on a schedule of walking, drinking Protein and Water, taking meds so got it all in. I think it was day 4 I felt better. Yes it is normal to drop a lot of weight at the beginning especially if you didn't have a preop diet. Mostly you are losing water at this point. Please follow your dr instructions, it will get better.

Your gas pain is normal and it will go away. Walking every chance you get will help dissipate it. Also, I took gas x strips and they helped. Be sure to continue to drink your Water (small sips) constantly. Don't be too concerned with weight loss right now (even though you are losing a lot) as this is a time for healing. Anything lost is a bonus during this phase. Hope the gas gets better. Take care.

using a heating pad can also help the pain. if you don't have a heating pad, a cheap alternative is to take a tube sock and fill it with rice. heat in the microwave and place it on the spot that is hurting. the other comments are exactly right as well. walk, walk, walk....get up and move every hour at least. gas x strips help. right now is not the time to be a lady. if you need to belch or fart, let them fly. best of luck to you on your journey!!!!

Hello, I'm sure your pain is normal and will disappear as the others have said, however be mindful that sometimes things can go wrong in surgery and if the pain becomes unbearable or goes on for too long then you should let your doctor know. (If you look at my profile and read the About Me bit then you will see what happened to me.)

Good luck with everything, I hope you feel better soon. :)

Go to a chiropractor and have him adjust your upper back. Contrary to popular belief, the "cracking" sound you hear is NOT bones. It's the sound of gas being released from your joints. I went every 2-3 days after surgery and you would be amazed at the relief I got from it.

Go to a chiropractor and have him adjust your upper back. Contrary to popular belief, the "cracking" sound you hear is NOT bones. It's the sound of gas being released from your joints. I went every 2-3 days after surgery and you would be amazed at the relief I got from it.

that's interesting... i'd like to see some peer reviewed studies on that... pretty nifty

Get up and walk. I was walking one block at a time starting day 1 because I didn't want all the pain and luckily it never went above my stomach area. It took a day or two to go away after that.

I had horrible gas pains that radiated from my back into my shoulders and after a shoulder massage twice a day, it really started to help and mine was gone after about 5-6 days.

I was banded om 6/3 and I have the same problem. The heating pad helped. I have not been able to walk as much because I start to ache. I have the awful feeling I need to burp n I can't. I have taken Maalox but still nothing. My shoulders and back r getting better I just need to burp.

For me the gas pain is really the worst part of all of this so far (of course I was only banded yesterday). I walked about a half mile yesterday and so far a quarter mile this morning. I've given myself a goal of getting up every 2 hours and walking outside in the fresh air. I've been doing some shoulder stretches, which really do help, plus I'm drinking a lot of Water, even though it's a little uncomfortable. I think it's preventing pain in the long run. Hope you feel better soon!

Someone please tell me that this pain that I am getting from the gas, ( I know is normal) but will it go away? I am so scared that this isnt going to stop. I know I need to stay hydrated and drink drink drink but I am scared due to the gas pain. What did you do to help? Please suggestions! And to top it off, I started opp at 228.2 and today I am down to 219.1! Yikes.... That is the most weight I have ever lost in just 4 days. Whats up with that?

I was banded 6/1 this is my 8th day post op and i know just how you feel just drink lots of Water and walk and it does get better. I lost 12 in 7 days it feels real good just stick with it and stay positive it is only gonna get better.

To the topic starter? How are you feeling? Any better?

To the topic starter? How are you feeling? Any better?

Thanks for asking!! :) I feel a ton better... It really does take a few days to go away. I am just to the point where I feel like I can function. Incisions are still sore, but managable... I DID however find a way to BURP.

My DF had Lap Band done and she gave me the secret! SO here it goes... I put my hands onto a counter (like the kitchen counter, table etc) and bend down, make my back straigh flat, This causes the air to move and slowly bend up. I have gotten a ton of relief from this. So I hope it helps someone else feel better to. I am able to eat about 1/2 cup mushies now. YUM to fat free chili! :)

Hooray! I'm so glad that you're doing better! That's great to hear :) I can't wait until I'm on mushies!