Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing more than 100lbs Unlikely??

Just out of curiosity... How many people here have lost over 100 lbs with the band? A few people at my work are trying to turn me away from the band and toward gastric bypass stating that seeing as I am looking to lose MORE than 100 lbs, I need to go with gastric because lap band is "only for people looking to lose less than 100 lbs". How true is this? Is this just farfetched information?

How many people here have lost more than 100 lbs? I just want to see, thats all. I don't want to go through surgery just to lose 60-80 lbs because that is not enough an not anywhere near my target.

Thanks in advance!

I myself was banded 2 weeks ago, and my doctor never thought twice about me having to lose 100+lbs. A friend of mine was banded last April, and she hit 100 lbs today!:) What I've found is that those who negate the band are simply uninformed. Good luck with your decision!

Hi Justin! I have not hit the 100 lb mark but I am nearing my 50 lb mark and will say it's been relatively easy. June 09th will mark 3 months of "dieting" for me, including my 2 week pre-op diet. I am hoping to be at about 55 pounds lost by then. :D I have close to 200 pounds to lose and my surgeon thought the band was a great choice for me. I think there are many success stories of 100 lb + losses in the general forum or one of those. If you look around you'll find it. Personally one of the biggest motivating factors for me was the mortality statistics. According to the seminars I've been to, which were for both the bypass and the band, iIt's about 1 in 300 gastric bypass patients die where lapband is closer to 1 in 8500. Also the band is fully adjustable. The intital weight loss of the bypass may be greater but after a few years it evens out with the band. Also, there were multiple previous bypass patients in the seminars who were very large and were now looking to get banded as they gained their weight back. I think if someone had bypass and it works well, that's what they will promote, and if someone gets banded and it works well, it's what they will promote. Really it's your decision but the seminar's will probably be a big help with that.

Good point from Kristi: I met 3 gastric bypass people who had gained back and were getting banded. You learn so much at the seminars.

Look me up on post band. I have a story of 1,2,3 separate articles from my journal. It shows the weight Loss. So yes it's possible. It's my History. Read it and enjoy.

Not to mention everyone that I have known that has had Bypass is in the GROUND. When I asked my surgeon what is Longevity with the Bypass? He said it's to new, we can't answer that, because we don't know.:(

Yes you can lose over 100 lb with the band. Also in your favor is the fact you're a man, so you will lose quicker than the women. From the beginning of my pre op weight, I have 111lb to lose. I'd already lost weight from my years of dieting and I've lost over 100lb. (not all with the band)

Untrue. I've lost 116lbs with more to go. In the end it's up to you to figure out what WLS is best for you.

Justin, what I would say is do research on all of your options. I was 304 and want to get to 155. It can be done. You have to consider all the facts including all the pros and cons of both.

I'm 11 months post op and have lost 117 pounds. I have only had 2 months where my weight loss was not 10 pounds. I am still going strong and hope to lose at least another 100 or more pounds. It absolutely is possible, lots of proof on this forum! Good luck with your decision!

I know many bandsters who have lost >100 lbs. I have lost 145 with 17 to get to goal. I hit the 100 mark 11 months after my surgery. My best friend has lost 150 and hit her goal several years ago. She has maintained her weight ever since.

Just out of curiosity... How many people here have lost over 100 lbs with the band? A few people at my work are trying to turn me away from the band and toward gastric bypass stating that seeing as I am looking to lose MORE than 100 lbs, I need to go with gastric because lap band is "only for people looking to lose less than 100 lbs". How true is this? Is this just farfetched information?

How many people here have lost more than 100 lbs? I just want to see, thats all. I don't want to go through surgery just to lose 60-80 lbs because that is not enough an not anywhere near my target.

Thanks in advance!

I put my journal on this site there's 3 parts to it, and yes the weight can come off. The average is 2lbs a week x 52 weeks you do the math.

But check out that journal.

Just go under the "General Lap-Band Surgery Discussion" forum and there's a topic titled "Who Has Lost Over 100 Pounds?" There are a LOT of lap-band patients who have lost over 100lbs, many of them within a year post-op. I was recently banded and have over 100lbs to lose and I found those posts particularly inspirational. We can do it!!!

I put my journal on this site there's 3 parts to it, and yes the weight can come off. The average is 2lbs a week x 52 weeks you do the math.

But check out that journal.

If you read that journal,,,, you will see that total weight loss is well over 150lbs... Not 60-80lbs...

My surgeon put it this way to me. You never know where you are going to be in 10 years. he said let's face the facts. People get cancer, sick, pregnant all of the things that come up in life. So if you gastric and you have to go through chemo, or you get pregnant you can't reverse the surgery in order to get the nutrition you need. With the band you can adjust if these terrrible situations happen to help save your life. In my opinion it is the safest way to loose weight, I am waiting for my approval, but from reading the posts on here, to me it seems you will lose how much you want to lose, and depends on how bad you want it. I wish you the best of luck in whatever choice you make and this is your life changing experience to better your health. Do what is best for you and not what your coworkers think is best for you. Your true supporters will support you on whatever you choose.