Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing more than 100lbs Unlikely??

I'm well on my way, and have no doubt I'll get there soon. You can lose 100 pounds or more with the band, but it's up to you and your dedication. You have to work the band so it will work for you.

Dave

Just out of curiosity... How many people here have lost over 100 lbs with the band? A few people at my work are trying to turn me away from the band and toward gastric bypass stating that seeing as I am looking to lose MORE than 100 lbs, I need to go with gastric because lap band is "only for people looking to lose less than 100 lbs". How true is this? Is this just farfetched information?

How many people here have lost more than 100 lbs? I just want to see, thats all. I don't want to go through surgery just to lose 60-80 lbs because that is not enough an not anywhere near my target.

Thanks in advance!

This is why a very chosen few know I'm having lap band done. To many people think they know what is best for you. You have done your homework and you know what is right for you. Hang in there and good luck.

There are many people on here who have lost over 100 lbs. I am getting close, having lost 82 lbs since mid November.

Justin, I have over 100lb to loose as well. Not for a second did my physician think that I couldn't do it with a LapBand. He indicated that his tendency to recommend one procedure over another for his patients was more about their mindset, their willingness to use it as a tool, other life issues (having kids, etc.). He told me about all three procedures, and I firmly chose the LapBand. For so many reasons that have been mentioned on these boards before.

You can do it, Justin! It's about your mindset, your ability to see it as a tool and change your life accordingly, and how badly you want it! :-D Good luck!

I had the same question about losing more than 100lbs. Reading this has given me so much hope and inspiration. I'm even more excited for my initial consult with my surgeon next week!!

Justin,

Please, please do not listen to the advice you get at work (unless you've got a bander, or two!). So many people are eager to give advice on topics that they know nothing about.

Yes, it is definitely possible to lose more than 100 lbs with a band. But there are many ways to lose 100 lbs. You really want to pick the way that leaves you with the best odds for long-term success. Do your research and make up your own mind. I know that for me, the band was the only choice and it has worked remarkably well. I've lost weight using lots of different methods, but this is the first time that it seemed easy and I've been maintaining for about a year.

The band isn't for everyone, but if you think it's the right choice for you, don't let a bunch of uneducated friends sway you.

Cindy

I really appreciate everyones opinions and responses. This information is very informative and re-assuring me that my decision is a good one. Personally, I do feel the band is the best way for me to go but I just wanted to see what kind of responses the band has gotten from those people looking/needing to lose over 100 lbs. I am glad to hear of the success of everyone who. Posted and wish you all a congratulations and good luck in achieving your goals. Thank you all for the information. If anyone else has information they wish to share, definitely post it because I would love to hear more :)

Just Remember this: If you go with the band, and for some reason you are not happy. You could always change to the sleeve.

If you have 25' of intestines removed, and your insides altered ! There is no going back at all.

Keep that in Mind.

I'm sure it's very possible. I know a few people who are down over 100 pounds with LB. Keeping it off is probably the real question here! I'm sure many people eventually lapse back into bad habits and up goes the scale again.....

I've lost 100 in 8 months and I'm still losing (albeit more slowly now). It can be done.

My PCP said bypass might be better for me given my starting BMI close to 50. But my surgeon thought I'd do fine with the band, and that's what I wanted, so that's what we did. I don't regret it at all-- best thing I've done for myself.

I lost about 120 which was much more than I technically had to lose, its taken me to a bmi of 19. The first 80 was quick and easy and saw me to the 'normal' range, the rest took about 3 years. I now maintain with no fill - because you have to work the band you learn new habits.