Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you use protein shakes for?

My surgeon told me NO liquid calories. Eat real food instead and use the shakes to make sure I'm getting 65 grams of Protein a day.

I can eat 65-90 grams of Protein a day with no problems so I haven't been doing shakes. Yesterday I went for another fill. This time I got a different nurse and she told me that I should buy some extra Protein drinks and supplements and use them when I'm hungry between meals. She said if I'm hungry between meals instead of snacking on real food I should drink a Protein shake instead to curb my appetite.

So what is your take on the shakes?

Doctor is right; don't waste calories on liquids, it makes no sense. Snacking on something like veggies is much healthier. As someone who gets 130g Protein a day, I can tell you I do it all without drinking one Protein shake. Protein shakes are meant for when you're on the go or when you're severely lacking in protein.

Just my opinion.

I usually drink a Protein Shake after a workout. That's about the only time.

Also, meant to ask, when you goes for a fill do you feel like you're being picked apart? At my surgeons office the nurse talks to you first before the surgeon does the fill. They ask you 10,000 questions about what you eat and when. How much you drink and when. How much you exercise and when and what type. Then they tell you what you should do and tell you where your mistakes are. Sometimes it's discouraging to me because I mean, if I knew how to do this I wouldn't need a Lap Band. Does that make sense?

My Doc's also said no liquid calories. But, I always have Protein shakes for Breakfast as I am tighter in the mornings and don't have time to sit and baby my band so I can eat, I told them this and they are fine with it. I think really what they mean by no liquid calories is no sugary drinks/juices/milkshakes. I use Pure Protein brand pre-made shakes in a can. Sometimes I have them right from the can or add them to ice and frozen fruit in the blender to bulk them up. They keep me full until lunch. They're only 120 calories, 1.5 grm fat, 1 grm sugar and 23 grms of protein. I think they taste much better than any of the powdered ones I've tried.

Although it is best to eat real foods when you can and not drink shakes, when you're hungry it's quick and easy and can save you from unnecessary grazing on crap foods in between meals. I actually like drinking them. I get enough protein with the foods I eat but on days when I'm extra hungry I grab a shake as a snack instead of chips or chocolate like I used to. Or sometimes I'll have a Chobani yogurt (which have 12-15 grams of protein depending on the flavor) for Breakfast or snack in place of my shakes, so that's also an option.

I get interragated when I see my doctor too, she actually apoligized and said she asks because she wants to know what to tell her patients when they ask certain questions. She said she can give them all the medical answers and advice she can but can never truely tell them what it's like to live with a band. She always wants to know what I'm doing food wise and how I'm feeling, blah blah. She actually said that alot of patients just don't "get it" and have a hard time with their bands. Thankfully I'm doing pretty well with mine, so far.

Haven't had a protien shake since week 1.

My Dr. told me no liquid calories either. And yes, I do go through the interrogation process when I go for a fill. Doesn't bother me, I feel like they really want me to succeed plus it helps them determine if I need a fill or not.

Keep up the Battle!

Doctor is right; don't waste calories on liquids, it makes no sense. Snacking on something like veggies is much healthier. As someone who gets 130g Protein a day, I can tell you I do it all without drinking one Protein shake. Protein shakes are meant for when you're on the go or when you're severely lacking in protein.

Just my opinion.

Can you give me an example of how you get that much protien in a day. What is your calorie intake?

the nutritionist at my surgeon's office said he wanted me to have at least one Protein Shake a day for the first year after surgery. typically i have one or two...i'm a vegetarian (although i've started to eat fish), so they really help me get in the Protein i need per day. they also help me up my calories a little. without them, i get about 500 a day; with them (2 of them) i get 800 instead. if you eat meat, though, you might not have near as much trouble hitting your protein goals.

Can you give me an example of how you get that much protien in a day. What is your calorie intake?

1700-1750 calories per day. Lots of chicken, eggs, fish, turkey, etc. I eat no less than 4oz dense Protein per meal. I also eat overnight oats with greek yogurt and Protein powder mixed in. I aim for no less than 20g Protein per meal though I seem to be getting about 30g.

Also, meant to ask, when you goes for a fill do you feel like you're being picked apart? At my surgeons office the nurse talks to you first before the surgeon does the fill. They ask you 10,000 questions about what you eat and when. How much you drink and when. How much you exercise and when and what type. Then they tell you what you should do and tell you where your mistakes are. Sometimes it's discouraging to me because I mean, if I knew how to do this I wouldn't need a Lap Band. Does that make sense?

I know what you mean on this but the way I look at it is that the more I know, the better off I am. I think you should try not to take it personally and look at it as education rather than criticism. I have to fill out a form when I go to my surgeon's office. It's a form made by Allergan about being in the green zone. Also, every other time, I meet with the nutritionist and she goes over what I ate and what I might want to do differently.

The more they know and ask the more they can help..even if it feels intrusive or critical. Every bit of information relayed has a purpose.

the nutritionist at my surgeon's office said he wanted me to have at least one Protein shake a day for the first year after surgery. typically i have one or two...i'm a vegetarian (although i've started to eat fish), so they really help me get in the Protein i need per day. they also help me up my calories a little. without them, i get about 500 a day; with them (2 of them) i get 800 instead. if you eat meat, though, you might not have near as much trouble hitting your protein goals.

I'm in the same boat as you - vegetarian plus fish. My nutritionist said that because I get my protein from high quality sources, I don't need to do Protein shakes but when I last saw my PA, she said she wants me adding a Protein Shake because I told her I'm having to force myself to eat. I'm burning 500 calories daily at the gym and still have no appetite. I'm not complaining..just worry that something isn't right there! I haven't been able to get going on them again.

My daily caloric intake seems to be about 500-600 too. Is your surgeon pushing you to eat more?

I'm 2 years post-op and still do 2 Protein shakes day. One for Breakfast and one in the evening during and after my workout. It does help me to keep the munchies at bay - although I still find myself grabbing things even when I'm not hungry. Really hoped that would go away.

I take in around 340 calories/day in Protein Shakes and add that to my overall caloric intake when I'm tracking it. I use unjury and I do think it helps me maintain/build muscle tone when using weights in my workout.

It simply is a matter of preference whether you do drink them or not. Right after surgery I couldn't hardly gag them down. I finally found a brand I like and stuck with it.

As far as the interrogation when getting fills, I think it is really just a time that your physician's office spends with you to make sure you have the proper tools and to reiterate what is recommended that you do and what to avoid. It also helps them determine the amount of the fill. I just read this morning that for some people, things have to be repeated 7 times before they commit it to memory. Reinforcement of what is preferred with the lap band is never a bad thing. Best of luck to all!

CheckYes, I actually emailed my nutritionist about two weeks ago b/c I was stalled at 191 for several weeks. I told him I was eating between 500-600 calories a day, and I also work out pretty hard everyday - whether it be running, zumba plus a long walk, strength training, etc. He told me to up my calories to 1000-1200 a day. I tried, but I just couldn't get there, especially because I try to keep my carbs under 40g for the day. So I tried upping it to about 850 instead. It's working. I lost 6.4 pounds last week. I am going to keep trying to stay in that range. There are some days when the thought of the Protein Shake makes me sick, but a day barely goes by that I don't have at least one, sometimes two. That's really the only way I can get in the amount of calories and Protein I need. Since we don't have a lot of protein room to move because we don't eat meat, I just keep drinking them. I'm getting really, really sick of tuna ;) The one thing I find really helps my shakes is using .75 of a serving of PB2 in addition to the whey mix. It really helps the taste. If I'm having a higher carb day - meaning having a veggie burger (no bun) instead of fish, I won't add it, but if my carbs are really low, I will. It changes the taste dramatically.

I still have Protein Shakes occaisionally if I need a quick breakfast or if, at the end of the day, I find that I am short on my calories and/or Protein. I agree with the no liquid calories and I follow that for the most part but there are times when protein shakes are needed. I stick to 1,000-1,100 calories per day (that works best for me) and I normally eat around 80-100 g protein a day (I know it sounds high, but that is what my NUT suggests and it's working for me).