Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yesterday, I finally made the decision that I was ready to do the lap band procedur, today I started the paperwork for approval. .However, since I have made this major life changing decision, I can NOT STOP EATING...EVERYTHING IN SIGHT. I took off work today for a personal day, and all I did was lay around and eat anything that was not tied down and that did not try and eat me first. Its like my brain went into overdrive and knows that in the future, it is going to be hungry and that I am not going to be able to eat my comfort food anymore.

This scares me...If I cant control this now, how am I ever going to get control of this.Will I be able to use the lap band as the tool it is intended to be? I have thought and researched lap band for the last year, my signifigant other had it done in December and has done amazing on it . I don't want to fail, but feel like I already have.....

It's normal :) Don't beat yourself up. I did the same, sort of a panic, but when I had to follow the per-op diet, I did it.

It really does seem like there is a grieving process with regard to letting go of our curent relationship with food. Bingeing is denial haha! I think it takes so long to go hru the process to get the band so we have time to fully grieve the loss of our relationship to food..until we get to the point where acceptance is the answer to all our problems..so let youself grieve as long as i takes

Mike

Yesterday, I finally made the decision that I was ready to do the lap band procedur, today I started the paperwork for approval. .However, since I have made this major life changing decision, I can NOT STOP EATING...EVERYTHING IN SIGHT. I took off work today for a personal day, and all I did was lay around and eat anything that was not tied down and that did not try and eat me first. Its like my brain went into overdrive and knows that in the future, it is going to be hungry and that I am not going to be able to eat my comfort food anymore.

This scares me...If I cant control this now, how am I ever going to get control of this.Will I be able to use the lap band as the tool it is intended to be? I have thought and researched lap band for the last year, my signifigant other had it done in December and has done amazing on it . I don't want to fail, but feel like I already have.....

I am going through the same kinds of feelings too!! (band date 6/10) I'm glad I'm not the only one. I keep waking up thinking I'm going to really be good today so that I can get ready for the pre op diet....but then, I give in. I'm going to give myself a little longer to go through whatever grieving I need to get through and then I've got to be stronger!!

Hang in there!!

Marie

it's totally normal. the week before my pre-op diet i had several "last suppers" where i ate and ate and ate and ate and kinda said 'goodbye' to things i thought i might never eat again. i still managed to lose weight on my pre-op diet and shrink my liver though, and so far i am following all instructions from my surgeon.

it has been the most difficult thing i have ever done, but i am doing it. you will be fine.

I'm soooo glad you posted this. I have been doing the same thing & those thoughts were going through my head as well. I'm at the very beginning stages of the process & often doubt myself too. It makes me happy to hear I'm not the only one. Thanks for reading my mind dixiechick.

Last supper syndrome is common. The only thing I can suggest is to remember that being banded does not mean there will be foods you cannot eat anymore, if anything you won't be able to eat the same amount of food, but there is no food that is considered "off-limits." What you can and cannot eat depends on how tight you choose to keep your band. Mine is unfilled/relatively loose compared to many and I can eat most things; sometimes I get myself into trouble when I don't chew/eat too fast otherwise I can/do eat what I want, just smaller portions. ie. pre-band I could eat bowls of rice; now I eat 1/4-1/2 cup, measured out by weight.

Stop beating yourself up! We have all been where you're at! First of all, too much of a good thing (food), is not good anymore and the fact that you are considering getting a LapBand shows you are aware of this. Grieving...not with the band. You can eat your comfort food, but not the amounts you use to. Once you get the band, you will immediately notice a change in your thinking and wanting food. The band restricts the intake of food, therefore our choices in what we eat takes on a different form. My choose in doing the LapBand was a good one for me. I DO NOT FEEL DEPRIVED! I eat those comfort foods, but, my choices are healthier and better for me. My weight kept going up, I had high blood pressure and was diabetic. I needed to take medication in order to level my blood pressure and glucose levels. Well, I am so proud to say, I am off my medications, down 101 pounds and feeling oh so wonderful! I had my band done July of 2009. The weight came off fast initially, then gradual, it was up to me! The band is a tool, need to eat healthier, in smaller amounts and excercise. It worked for me and it will for YOU! Keep the faith and you too will have a "NEW ATTITUDE". God Bless You!

Nuumee

It really does seem like there is a grieving process with regard to letting go of our curent relationship with food. Bingeing is denial haha! I think it takes so long to go hru the process to get the band so we have time to fully grieve the loss of our relationship to food..until we get to the point where acceptance is the answer to all our problems..so let youself grieve as long as i takes

Mike

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Weight Loss Surgery. It's an interesting place. I have a few comments that I hope you will find helpful.

As others here have stated, what you are feeling/experiencing is very normal, and your reaction to it is normal as well.

However…..

Saying that it would be considered "normal' is NOT saying that it is good.

The time to start living like you have the Lap Band (or any other WLS) is not AFTER you have the Lap Band; it's at the moment you DECIDE that you will undergo the procedure. That is when the process begins. The sooner you can begin to rid yourself of old, destructive habits and begin to eat correctly, the better.

Of course, it is not easy. People will say that if you could make those changes without the Lap band, then why get one? Well, the Lap band makes those changes EASIER. But YOU have to work at it. And by beginning that work the moment you decide to have the surgery, the better off you will be once the Lap Band has been implanted.

On this forum, you will find a very wide variety of advice. You will find plenty of people who "get it"….and plenty of people who don't have a clue, even though they have lost significant weight with the Lap band. Their success has been more a consequence of luck, than of understanding the mechanics of obesity and the complexities (both mental and physical) of losing the weight and safely arriving at a state of robust health. For many people here, it seems to be more important to fit into a particular pair of jeans than it is to become truly healthy. So, you need to be very careful about whom you choose to "follow" in terms of advice here.

Here's an example:

"The only thing I can suggest is to remember that being banded does not mean there will be foods you cannot eat anymore, if anything you won't be able to eat the same amount of food, but there is no food that is considered "off-limits."

To put it bluntly, this is a bunch of crap.

There are people on this forum who seem to think that it is ok to eat ANYTHING, just not as much of it as they used to. That is only a half truth. A very large part of the obesity problem that we have all experienced is WHAT we eat, in addition to the volume that we consume. Don't allow yourself to get caught in the trap of thinking that as long as the "calories balance", then anything you want to eat is good. There ARE good and bad foods, and you need to learn what they are, and adjust your intake accordingly.

One of the best pieces of advice I can give you is to suggest that you take your focus off of losing weight, and place the emphasis on BECOMING HEALTHY. There is a Big difference. A HUGE difference, in fact. Being thin does NOT equal being healthy. And you will not achieve a TRUE state of health by continuing to consume a lot of the garbage that you have probably been eating most of your life. And I know,…. I have been there. Having lost around 200 pounds, easily keeping it off, and achieving a state of health that I never would have dreamed of a decade ago, I can tell you that making these decisions and choices about your health NOW will be a very important part of your overall Lap Band experience. Being ABLE to consume a lot of garbage ("comfort food", "treats", whatever you want to call them) while having the Lap Band does NOT mean that you should. You need to begin re-thinking your relationship with foods like this.

So, I wish you the best of luck in this process. I encourage you to study this process hard, work harder, choose a good surgeon, and commit yourself to this process totally. And learn to become HEALTHY.

S.