Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to have instead of Birthday Cake?

I have a birthday coming up in a few weeks. I am happy to report that I could care less about eating birthday cake or anything else for that matter. I am really enjoying just living life. My life no revolves around food. Yeah!

But, my loved ones are having a hard time getting adjusted to my new life style. I have not had an "recreational sugar" since March and I feel great. I know that as soon as I have even one bite, I will want to eat a ton of it, even if it means eating around my band. I have no urges to do this. With my birthday coming up, my loved ones are feeling confused as to what to do. Traditionally, they give me a nice dinner (either out or homemade) and a birthday cake. My meals will still be a half a cup of something mushy and I chose not to have cake or ice cream (even though they can be mixed together to be mushy). I am perfectly happy with just going to a comedy club or a walk along the river.

How have you dealt with loved ones and birthdays or other celebrations that were historically centered around food?

I still eat cake etc. Life goes on after you have your band . For me getting a band was about being able to live a normal life and have a normal relationship with food and not be constantly on a diet. I eat what I want but generally make healthy choices. A little of what you fancy can do you good.

But you have indicated that a little would put you out of control. Maybe you could do something fun like going for a massage or pedicure or if it is a mixed group pick some kind of activity like bowling or mini golf etc. Whatever you decide I hope you have fun.

I agree, eat what you want in moderation but make all healthy choices in the process. Eat for taste not for hunger. If you want sweets look for a healthier substitution

re: "How have you dealt with loved ones and birthdays or other celebrations that were historically centered around food?"

Notice a subtle shift.....social events even centered around food, NO LONGER require we Members of the Tribe of the Morbidly Obese (MOTMOs) have to continue to OVER eat at such gatherings!

If you can not rely on your own changed eating behavior to avoid cake-catastrophe, consider a finely sliced pluot or a small cup of diced Kiwis instead. Delicious, healthy and a new symbol of respect for yourself.

Or a small dish of low fat yogurt with fresh OR frozen blueberries!

There are times where we are still vulnerable to Old Habits....and there are times when we can find New ways to eat without returning to our Old Dragons of Despair.

Cheers on your birthday!

I know we are all different, if id stop eating sweets, or junk once in a while, id go crazy and have a compulsion.

Then again, that is me! I rAther have a few bites of a cake and a few french fries once in a while mixed in to my good habits.

The only thing that worries me is that you say your sourrounding has a hard time adjusting to your new lifestyle... Dont you think you will find yourself in situations where there will be cake and pizza and french fries?

Maybe have fruits dipped in a little chocolate fondue?

Listen, some ppl do have great admirable will power and are able to cut sweets and junk for the rest of their lives, and amen to that, but i chose not to live this way because i always end up extremelly frustrated months down the line and it has been the reason i have gone from 150 to 341 in 10 years!

I have dieted, toooooo many times, and done too many strict diets, and i have each and single time got obsess about food.< /p>

It took me years to stop my eating disorder and one of my first task i was given by my nutrionnist and psychologist was to go to the supermarket and buy everything i wanted. At first, i gained a bit, but slowly, and i emphasize on the slowly, i have stopped feeling guilty about fatening foods. I have stopped buying light foods, and guess what i lost 50 pounds not dieting at all, but listening to my hunger! So it does work.

I have a birthday coming up in a few weeks. I am happy to report that I could care less about eating birthday cake or anything else for that matter. I am really enjoying just living life. My life no revolves around food. Yeah!

But, my loved ones are having a hard time getting adjusted to my new life style. I have not had an "recreational sugar" since March and I feel great. I know that as soon as I have even one bite, I will want to eat a ton of it, even if it means eating around my band. I have no urges to do this. With my birthday coming up, my loved ones are feeling confused as to what to do. Traditionally, they give me a nice dinner (either out or homemade) and a birthday cake. My meals will still be a half a cup of something mushy and I chose not to have cake or ice cream (even though they can be mixed together to be mushy). I am perfectly happy with just going to a comedy club or a walk along the river.

How have you dealt with loved ones and birthdays or other celebrations that were historically centered around food?

It's your birthday. If you don't want cake and ice cream, your family needs to respect that! I'm sure they see the changes in you. Explain to them that you're afraid that a traditional birthday celebration might throw you off of the wagon.

I allow myself a treat once a week, and it has worked out great for me. I stick religiously to my healthy eating during the week and pick Saturday or Sunday to splurge a little. I have lost 90 pounds and feeling great!!!! Once you have reached full restriction you will be able to eat a little of something and be satisfied. Good Luck!

It's your birthday. If you don't want cake and ice cream, your family needs to respect that! I'm sure they see the changes in you. Explain to them that you're afraid that a traditional birthday celebration might throw you off of the wagon.

How about strawberries or bananas or other fruit and yogurt......?......... blended together to form mushy texture and then chilled in the freezer to be ice cream like..?

Another great idea, is to have ANGEL cake. You can usually find them at the grocery store and they are very low in calories and fat, surprinsingly. What I often do is i cream it with cool whip (the light one) or I use egg whites, whip them as if i were doing a meringue and I add a little sugar, really little sugar does the job and i mix in rasberries. If not, you put the cool whip and put strawberries on top, like a short cake.

angel cake is such a good substitute, and you wont even believe it is soooo much lower in calories.

Yum! Thank you for all of the great suggestions. I have made strawberry shortcake with splenda and sugar free pound cake for my diabetic hubby. Maybe that is what I'll have too. Although, the banana "ice cream" sounds appealing.

You guys gave such great alternatives, they all sound yummy!!! I am one of those that if I deprive myself of the tasty things I like, I am more apt to go overboard. So I eat whatever I want (this started moreso after being banded 1 year) but since I'm at goal weight, I have noticed that keeping balanced and paying more attention to portion and exercise worked best for me. I don't just sit and eat junk all the time, but instead of eating a pint of ice cream in 5 minutes like I used to, I get the smaller 1/2 cup portion sizes. Or popsicles, etc. I like candy, but I won't buy a big bag. I'll get the individual size when I have loose change.

I was going to suggest like a fruit/fondue bar, with all kinds of exotic fruits with melted chocolate, whipped cream, yogurt, etc. Like fruit sundaes instead of cake/ice cream. Which can be sweet, and you can get low fat/low sugar alternatives. I've never seen this in action, but it sounds like with time and someone with a good taste for fruit could be able to pull off, and boy would it make great pictures!! I am sorry that your inner circle is not as supportive so maybe try to find outlets with people that ARE supportive..in addtiion to LBT. :o)

If u really don't want any sugar, maybe a sugar free ice cream bar. I got some of those at the store last time I went.

I live by the motto of "moderation, not elimination". I want to have a normal and healthy relationship with food. I will have cake, just not the whole cake. I will have ice cream, just not the whole half gallon. I was told by my trainer that whatever you eliminate and lose weight with is what you'll have to keep out of your diet to keep the weight off. I will exercise a bit more and burn more calories to create a deficit, so to speak, when I want to have a treat. So, I will not deprive myself of something I enjoy. I enjoy it for that moment, in moderation, knowing that this not the last supper. :D

I have still had cake at celebrations since being banded almost a year ago. Depending on how my band feels that day I might have only half a slice or need to skip other eating to enjoy the cake. I enjoy greek yogurt or cottage cheese with lime juice, splenda and fruit though as both a treat and a staple. Its been on the table for Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter so I knew there would be something I could both eat and enjoy without worry.

Its all about your comfort level. If there is a dessert option you'd enjoy for your birthday then its your day it shoudl be there. You are still fairly new to being banded and onto intoducing food so I think a really beautiful yogurt, berries, whipped cream dish in a pretty pyrex bowl or pan would be great. I buy my berries frozen and then just deforst them partway before putting them on top so they are still a little crunchy as opposed to mushy and I can still easily chew the skin down.

Cheesecake might be another easy to digest option or even one of those beautiful Jello cakes with the Jello layered with berries and whipped cream.

For the dinner, choose a side dish to use as your meal you'd ve excited to eat and will go down easy for you and let the others eat what they want to acoompnay it. Lke refrieded Beans with cheese or mashed potatoes baked and a little crusty on top in the oven. I actually really loved the mushy stage and many meals still eat mush.