Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nothing ruins a meal quicker

i've had 2 episodes this week where i've tried a new food (both meat) and it got stuck on the first or second bite. man, talk about ruining your whole meal!!! all i could do was sit there and just breathe and relax and try and get it to go down on it's own. it finally did both times thankfully. but i do not like that feeling!!! very uncomfortable!

i've had 2 episodes this week where i've tried a new food (both meat) and it got stuck on the first or second bite. man, talk about ruining your whole meal!!! all i could do was sit there and just breathe and relax and try and get it to go down on it's own. it finally did both times thankfully. but i do not like that feeling!!! very uncomfortable!

You know what's worse? When it's a FREE meal! My company has quarterly luncheons which are usually really nice for being catered affairs. For the last three of them, the last one being last friday, I've gotten stuck after less than 3 bites, despite picking the lap band friendliest items I could. Each time I ended up running to the nearest restroom to vomit/slime, never to return.

I wasnt annoyed so much at getting stucket as I was at wasting a free meal! Sometimes I think my priorities are out of whack. :)

The weird thing is that I rarely ever get stuck. It seems my band realizes there's free food in the area, and sends out the alarm to tighten ship!

oh no! that is bad. i understand the FREE part -- how many times in life do we get free meals... LOL!!!

i wonder however if it's the socializing/nervousness of eating slowly and chewing so much in front of others?... that causes this to happen at your work events?

now that i think about it, both of my times i was dining alone with my 2 boys (ages 3 and 5) and was trying to get them to settle down... therefore i wasn't concentrating on chewing and eating slowly. hmmm.... maybe there's something to this...

good luck with future events!!!

I totally understand the feeling! For mothers day my familly wanted to go eat chinese food! I planned ahead. Figured out I would eat brocccili and chicken and maybe some hot and sour Soup. I was so excited it was the first time I was going to eat Chinese food since 6 months before my band! So...my third bite of chicken after chewing forever....STUCK! I ran to bathroom. Only to return with tears in my eyes and a dreadful feeling of SLIME! lol I was afraid to eat anything else for that feeling was bad enough! I felt like I missed a good oppotunity! I guess I just love food so much i hate to ruin a good dinner by getting stuck. Tho Im very glad to have my band I just know sometimes it really can be a bummer! Good way to think it atleast that chinese food didnt make my butt fatter! hehe

I went for dinner last night with a friend, got veggies and rice with tofu. Had one bite of tofu, a piece of greens, and a fork of rice and that's all I could eat. And I could only drink a few sips of Water beforehand. It was horrible. I know I'm too tight but with billing discrepancies an unfill could cost me between $12 and $750. Yeah, I'm still getting that worked out. Until I know I'll stay too tight.

i'm getting stuck about everyday now. this is getting old. i think it's me though... i still try and rush my meals. i just need to slow down. i have found a couple of foods that just will not go down. so i have to avoid them.

i wish you all the best!

Can I relate! I now have 7cc fill & I guess I now have real restriction. I have to eat very slowly and eat very little. @ 4cc fill it wasn't like this. I can eat, I just have to eat smaller portions, chew a lot more and wait longer between bites. @ 4ccs I did slime when I wwent out to dinner. I couldn't believe it. I ran to the bathroom and was so embarrassed. I do think socializing with the band takes practice because for me I get to talking, laughing, etc and don't pay attention to my bites as when alone. That one experience was enough for me. I may order Soup from now on!

i'm getting stuck about everyday now. this is getting old. i think it's me though... i still try and rush my meals. i just need to slow down. i have found a couple of foods that just will not go down. so i have to avoid them.

i wish you all the best!

. Gingy.......how much fill do you have? Gail

I always seem to get that feeling when, I am eating with others around. Guess I am not focused on chewing etc..If I am out, I ask for a cup of hot tea to drink before I eat, seems to work. I would rather break the no drinking before rule than to slime after 2 bites.

I agree with saraannie, I think it's due to lack of chewing because we are sidetracked. If I go out now, I take smaller than usual bites, and chew even more.

. Gingy.......how much fill do you have? Gail

I have 4cc's in my band. I also had gastric plication surgery at the same time as the lap band. So I get full very quickly... but wasn't prepared for getting stuck so much at just 4 cc's.

I had 1 cc taken out on Tuesday, much better. I get full on 1 c of food, still get stuck if I drink and eat at the same time, but that little unfill was what I needed.

I suggest getting an unfill of about 0.5 cc to see if that helps.