Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why dont I feel different?

I have been banded now for just over a month - just started regular foods last week. Question is -- why dont I feel any different eating? I feel as if I could continue eating if I really wanted, but stop before I feel full because of all I went thru to get the lapband. I dont feel like I "cant take another bite" as others mention. The only change I notice now is that if I eat too fast I feel as if the item gets stuck a little and I get pain in my back- but I wait a few minutes and its gone.

I feel like a failure already... Any thoughts?

weight.png

You feel the same because you don't have restriction yet. There are some people who feel restriction immediately after surgery due to the fact that their surgeon starts them out with a small fill or just due to the placement of the band. The vast majority of people require multiple fills to even begin to feel restriction. Unfortunately, right now is going to be all about willpower until you get to the proper fill level. Don't feel like a failure...this is VERY common (just do a search on here for "Bandster Hell" and you'll see what I mean).

I have been banded now for just over a month - just started regular foods last week. Question is -- why dont I feel any different eating? I feel as if I could continue eating if I really wanted, but stop before I feel full because of all I went thru to get the lapband. I dont feel like I "cant take another bite" as others mention. The only change I notice now is that if I eat too fast I feel as if the item gets stuck a little and I get pain in my back- but I wait a few minutes and its gone.

No, you're not a failure, you're just early in the journey! Chances are your band is either empty or has little Fluid, therefore you have no restriction. The first 6 weeks or so are supposed to be your body's time to heal...I'm almost 4 months out and I STILL don't always feel the restriction. I have to make a conscious effort to stop eating. That's the thing I didn't realize; the band won't keep you from eating, you'll just feel satisfied sooner. We have to give our brains a chance to catch up with our bodies. Keep doing what your doing...I promise it gets better!

It took me over a year to reach proper restriction. It took this long even though I received regular fills. It's a process. Hang in there. Don't get discouraged and most importantly keep working with your surgeon.

This journey is a process that is different for every person.

I'm 10 days post op and feel the same way..eating regular foods but still feel hungry! Is this normal too?

I am in the SAME boat!!! Frustrating as all can be. I went to my follow up and they assured me that I would NOT be able to eat anything....little did they know that I tested the waters and believe that I could eat anything I really want. I've eaten a bologna sandwich with no problem...bread, not an issue. I have gotten that little "stuck" feeling and I sit up straight and it subsides after a minute or so. So, with that, I know there is something "different' but I've had the feeling before by just eating too fast. I saw the band when they did my upper GI so I know it's in there. I was told that it won't stop me from eating and I get that but like you, I don't get "full" and it is very frustrating. I have to keep coming back here and reading that I don't have restriction yet, that this is all about healing etc., etc., etc., but it still doesn't stop me from feeling bad because I know I could eat whatever I want and I don't get that "full and one more bite is going to make me sick" feeling. I know I have to do better on the self control, I went through wtih this surgery for a reason, but it is hard. I feel for you. I just have to keep telling myself once we get our "restriction" following the rules will be easier. It is hard right now.....when you don't feel any "different." Keep it up and we'll be okay. We'll get there and like someone said earlier...this is only the beginning of our journey!!

:welldoneclap: :banghead: (this is me after eating)

I'm really glad you posted this......I didn't know how to put it into words and you did a great job for me.....Thanks

You are still unrestriced, that's what is going on. Sone are restricted immediately (as I was) some needs some fills to feel the restriction. Just be aware

I'm almost 7 weeks post op and honestly I can probably still eat a good amount of food but I also have no restriction so you are not a failure. You're going to do great! Good luck with everything!!

Same here, 3 weeks out....the day I went in for surgery I weighted 219

that was -20 pounds from the first day I walked into his office, had my 2 week

follow up and weighted 219 I was actually in shocked becuase after

surgery I was barely getting my Protein shakes in and though I would

have lost somthing and then friday I had gained 5 pounds????....today I

weighted and I am now back to the original 219. the same thing I

weighed the day of my surgery so actually I have not lost a pound AFTER

being banded, so, yes this all is freaking me out, and I too wonder if this

is just going to be anouther failed attempt. Im schueduled for my first fill May

23, and practally had to beg for that.

Thank you for posting, reading all the responses does give me hope.

Hello Everyone -

I have been banded for 2 years -------- and have GOOD RESTRICTION now..........but it has taken a long long time for me.

I have a surgeon that believes in SMALL fills with a lot of space in between -- it was HORRIBLE. I could eat and eat and eat. NO restriction what so ever.

The doctor and nurtitionist kept telling me to use my will power --- I would say to mysefl - IF I HAD WILL POWER, I WOULD NOT HAD BEEN FAT!!!

Instead of using will power - mind you I did TRY to eat less - I started an INTENSE exercise routine... signed up for 2 years at the local ATA karate school...so I took TaeKwonDo lessons, kickboxing AND resistance band training. So I did loose weight - but more so I lost inches and dropped pant sizes.

Finally about a year after my surgey I got some restriction.

WOW - you WILL notice the feeling when you get FULL.

I had NEVER "felt full" after eating tons of food.

Once you have restriction -- all those rules they tell you about -- you NEED to follow them. otherwise you will get "stuck" and have often "PB" episodes, etc.

I hate to say it (because I hated to hear this when I was in your shoes) - be patient - you WILL get restriction...and when you do --- WOW it will all be worth it!

Hope this helps!

Hello Everyone -

I have been banded for 2 years -------- and have GOOD RESTRICTION now..........but it has taken a long long time for me.

I have a surgeon that believes in SMALL fills with a lot of space in between -- it was HORRIBLE. I could eat and eat and eat. NO restriction what so ever.

The doctor and nurtitionist kept telling me to use my will power --- I would say to mysefl - IF I HAD WILL POWER, I WOULD NOT HAD BEEN FAT!!!

Instead of using will power - mind you I did TRY to eat less - I started an INTENSE exercise routine... signed up for 2 years at the local ATA karate school...so I took TaeKwonDo lessons, kickboxing AND resistance band training. So I did loose weight - but more so I lost inches and dropped pant sizes.

Finally about a year after my surgey I got some restriction.

WOW - you WILL notice the feeling when you get FULL.

I had NEVER "felt full" after eating tons of food.

Once you have restriction -- all those rules they tell you about -- you NEED to follow them. otherwise you will get "stuck" and have often "PB" episodes, etc.

I hate to say it (because I hated to hear this when I was in your shoes) - be patient - you WILL get restriction...and when you do --- WOW it will all be worth it!

Hope this helps!

MSan914, you said a mouthful ... and all of it true! How are earth do doctors, nurses, etc. think that "will power" is a tool that those of us that are "morbidly obese" (though I prefer "chronically overweight" :) can effectively use??? I didn't have will power before surgery and I don't have will power now! What I do have, like you, is a desire to lose weight. So, like you, I exercise. I have slowly made changes to my diet, making it much heathier than ever. But, last week when there was cake for staff appreciation ... no will power ... well, I didn't eat a piece of the first cake that was sent to the office, but I caved the next day when someone brought in my favorite cake! LOL I had a small piece and was satisfied. It didn't take will power, it was a gradual change that I had made in my life -- I don't have to eat a lot to be satisfied. I think it is absurd that a doc would give fills so small that it takes a year for you to feel restriction, but it happens. (Fortunately, my doc was not one of those). Congratulations for making it through!

To the newbies ... patience is the pits, but the alternative it a lot of frustration, which translates into wasted energy. This is the band life, and if you are not one of the lucky ones (took 7 long months for me!) that feels restriction without a fill or with only a fill or two, you will have to work on other areas (i.e., changing your diet, getting more Water, and exercising regularly) until you are at your "sweet spot". Hang in there, it's coming. You are NOT a failure, banish the thought!

Good luck to all!

~Fran

I've never felt like that either. The band works differently for everyone. I've never been one of those people that is satisfied with like 3 bites of food, no food gets stuck... after my fill, my hunger has died off. But i can still eat a pretty good amount, not as much as before, but certainly more than 3 or 4 bites.

Things will change when you get filled. But you may never be full of a tiny amount of food... a lot of the things I believe about the band turned out to not be true for me after I had surgery. I still am on a constant diet, I watch what I eat. The band does far less work that I thought it did. It makes me less hungry, so it makes my job of eating less easier. But yes, still requires willpower.

PLEASE I'M FEELING DISCOURAGED SMH IM AT 6 CC IN MY BAND WITHOUT A RESTRICTION . I GOT ONE TODAY I GOT SURGERY MARCH 8 I WAS 270 AND NOW IM AT 243. I STILL DONT FEEL RESTRICTED IS ANY ONE OUT THERE THAT HAS THE SAME PROBLEM AS ME!!!! HELP ME OUT IM ABLE TO EAT WHATEVER I WANT DOES EVERYONE ELSE GET TO EAT ANYTHING THEY WANT I COULD EAT bread ETC......