Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have had my band in for about a year and 4 months. The first 6-7 months was wonderful. In September of this year right after Labor day I was at 4 1/2 cc in my band and went for a fill because I was eating everything. I asked for 1.5 ccs and the PA gave it to me. About a week later I started getting slight heart burn and then it began when I dozed off on the couch (woke up and needed to run to the bathroom to puke). I went back to the doctor about 3 months later (right around Christmas break) and he took out some of the Fluid. I cried and was so upset that I would gain the weight back, but I didn't. I went back around end of March when I was still getting sick and he took all the fluid out for a wonderful "Band Holiday" as he called it and left me unfilled for a month. Well after almost having a nervous breakdown when I got home. I had some pizza (i know i know terrible) and from then I watched what I ate, not so much what I drank (Beer...I haven't drank beer since before my surgery). Anyways after a month of my band holiday The PA filled me up to 4ccsper docs orders instead of going slow like when I was first filled. Needless to say the acid reflux was back and man was it back. I called him again because I was so sick some nights that I hardly slept and missed work. So, he told me he will not remove the fluid, I need to eat better and more smaller meals (I don't really eat that much during the day). I try to eat dinner before 7pm and I have been taking Prilosec per my mother's advice and that's been helping, but every night after dinner I’m throwing up. If I try and go to sleep I need to throw up about 15-20 minutes after getting into bed. Now, my throat is getting sore and I have a cough. I am a school psychologist and my last day of school is next Friday so I’m hoping that whatever is going on stops before September. I am watching what I eat and not eating fried foods or acid causing foods (tomatoes and what not) and I'm feeling OK. It's just dinner I can't get a handle on. :unsure:

OMG, I thought I was the only one having problems! I feel like a lapband failure. I got the band in February of 2009. I was doing great, the weight was falling off until my third fill after surgery. I couldn't keep down scrambled eggs. I've tightened/loosened/tightened, and I just can't find that sweet spot. The nutritonist says that I need to get at least 8 hours of sleep, but I have horrible insomnia. So I take OTC sleeping pills to try and sleep, and when I finally get into a decent sleep, I wake up gasping, coughing, stuff coming out of my nose, sometimes running to the bathroom to throw up. I gain weight every time we loosen me, so I don't want to get anything taken out this time. I am SOOOOOO frustrated, I can't begin to tell you. If I eat out, I don't have this problem - I watch what I'm eating, I don't finish the meal, but I don't have sleep problems. Only when I cook for myself. All I can eat right now is calorie countdown milk (1 cup) with Carnation sugar free instant Breakfast, 1 chicken thigh and broccoli (both boiled), and a hamburger (hamburger pattie, whole wheat bun toasted really dry, 1 slice of cheese (thin sliced, 40 calories). I don't know what to do. My doctor told me when I first went for my consultation that there is a 30% failure rate, and I think I'm in that 30%. This was the last resort. :(

I was banded May of 2011. I didn't have any trouble with acid reflux until I was overfilled about 15 months in. Then it started all at night. I was ok durning the day but, within 30 minutes of going to bed it started. And, it was projectile. I tried not eating dinner, antacids of every kind, sleeping on the couch propped up on pillows. Nothing seemed to work. In two nights before my unfill I slept a total of 5 hours. I went about 6 weeks ago and had 1 cc taken out of my band, and I feel like a new person!!!!! I only have a little heartburn if I eat something spicy. Now, with saline put, I definitely have to track what I eat on My Fitness Pal. I have gained about 3 to 5 pounds back, but it has been worth sleeping!!!

Thank you all for posting.

I am having acid reflux, and do not know what to do. I sleep with my head raised, take Nexium and Carafate (latter when I need it.) My esophagus has been stretched (it was only open a little bit), and my esophagus is ulcerated.

I can not figure out what causes the problem for me. I will see a new gastroenterologist soon.

I am afraid to have any fill taken out, as I am afraid I will gain all that I have struggled to lose.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks for being here.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches