Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery 4-28, Camping 4-29

I wouldn't risk it, especially if you don't want people to know. The liquid only diet is hard enough to explain for two weeks. The first 48 hours are the worst with the gas pains and settling tremors. The pain medication I was given didn't even help with most of it. Getting in and out of bed is like torture. You also don't want to risk messing up your port with all that bending and such. Watching TV is really the only option while you wait for the pain to subside. Everyone's recovery is different. My recovery took two weeks until I woke up and there was absolutely no pain anywhere (gas, suture, etc.). Good luck!

Well it sounds like everyone is in agreement on this..

Ill just add my 2 cents.. My surgery went great, I had no issue or problems whatsoever. Less than 24 hours after surgery i went out and ran some errands and target and michaels.. at first I was ok, obvisouly in some pain, but was able to make due. But about 2 hours in, I hit a wall - HARD. Its amazing how little stamina you have post surgery. After the 2 hour mark I started to get Very swetty, nautious, and jittery. I could barely walk or do anything for that matter. Even after I got home and laid down, I still felt like crap for the rest of the day and the next, all over 2 hours out shopping. I am a young guy in my 20's who even at a large weight still plays soccer regularly and has a great stamina, yet I got my @ss kicked just from walking around a store.. definetly heed the warnings!

If you don't want to miss the campout then you should reschedule your surgery. You won't feel like going and you won't be able to drive for at least 24 hours due to the anesthesia.

NO!!!!! I could leave it at that but I'll give you a little more detail.....

People talk about this being a small surgery but it's not really. It's just small compared to like a Tummy Tuck. I was in a lot of pain after surg. It felt like a ton of bricks hanging from my stomach! I was on pain meds for over week and I'm not like a big baby or anything. You will probably have significant gas pains for a day or two after as well from all the gas they pump inside of you and it's no nice!

You are going to be very week and I really feel you should not go and I think when you wake up from surgery you will be like "oh I get what they were saying now" lol!!!

Good luck on your surgery I'm very excited for you!!!!!

I agree with above posters. While some people feel great afterward this isn't a minor surgery, this is a MAJOR surgery and your body needs to heal. I do not think it's a good idea to go camping on your 2nd day. While I didn't have any huge pain I was very sore, very tired and it was hard for me to get up from a chair and or bed.

That would be a big fat NO. I was a fast healer with not a lot of pain and there is no way I would have been ok to go camping.

:(

My husband wanted to take the rv and go camping 3 days after surgery and I prayed for rain. We have had a really gloomy and wet week in the midwest....thank heavens!!!:rolleyes:

Thank you friends, I needed your advice. Mothers dislike disappointing their kids. I will have to make alternative arrangements for the boys. My husband will not go....

This is the first I heard about not driving. Is there a driving restriction after surgery?

Yes I was told no driving for a week. Today is a week for me since my surgery. I am feeling pretty good but still a little tired from the liquid diet and chest pain from air put in from the surgery. I am hoping to get out tomorrow.

I'm a scout Mom and I'm sure that doing the cooking lesson is going to max you out, not to mention all the rest. You are going to be sore and moving VERY slowly, and probably still needing to take pain meds on day 2. If you are being driven out to camp, you MIGHT be able to get away with visiting for a while. But no more. You will even have trouble getting into and out of your regular bed for the first few days. I'm so sorry, but you will be miserable if you try this!

If you are doing dutch oven cooking, you won't even be able to move the thing. We're all so adamant because we know you how you will feel the first few days!!!

camping would be a no so soon...

I walked around Walmart with mom for about an hour the day after surgery and regretted it! I wouldn't even think of camping until you're able to lift again... I wasn't allowed to lift more than a gallon of milk for about 4 weeks...

Glad to hear you decided not to go. I recovered very quickly. Surgery at 6:30 a.m., kicked out at 2:30 p.m. because I was doing so well, stopped at the mom-in-law's on the way home and visited for 2 hours and a cup of tea. Then home. Next morning I went to work for 4 hours but was so tired I came home. Back to work the next day and continued on as normal.

*STILL* I would never have considered camping. First of all, cot or sleeping bag on the ground...I would have had extreme difficulty getting back up on my feet. Getting out of bed required holding on to my brass headboard, slowly rolling to one side and then sort of rolling to a sitting position while holding my port area with the palm of one hand.

If you'd gone camping, they might have had to create a new badge the boys could've worked towards...helping you to your feet. :D

Thanks my new friends for the advice. WAS I NUTS? It is Saturday, day 3. I feel like dog poop!

LOL- that's why we're here! Hope you're feeling better soon :)

Thanks my new friends for the advice. WAS I NUTS? It is Saturday, day 3. I feel like dog poop!

When I first saw the topic and the thread count was on Page 2, I could have almost guaranteed everyone would be against going camping. I am relatively young, 28 when I had the surgery, in perfect health otherwise and I felt like complete and utter shit for first 72 hours after surgery. I was in some serious pain and I wanted to do nothing but sit in my recliner all day and pop vicodin and drink Protein shakes. I don't even think I'd do it after a week because getting out of bed was still kind of painful.

Of course, I feel awesome now, but I'm hoping I don't have to go through surgery again...

While I am definitely one for pushing limits and guidelines I wouldn't recommend camping the day after surgery. Yes, it is a pretty easy surgery. I actually had my band placed twice (my first one slipped), so I was in the hospital over 48 hours. While I was never in "agony" or even a ton of pain I was quite uncomfortable and unable to get in an out of a chair/couch without assistance. I am sorry your son's will be disappointed, but I don't think it's a good idea