Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post surgery

Posting from hospital room, via ipad! All is well, had a hernia repaired as well. No problem with gas, and been walking as often as I can. Pain is not horrible, but rough when getting in and out of bed.....got good drugs every 3 hours. And am looking forward to going home tomoorrow morning!

Yes! New life begins!

Congratulations! I'm so glad you are doing well, woohoo!

Wood lass how r u? Are u home now?

I'm doing okay. I didn't have to stay in the hospital, my surgery was a 9am and they sent me home at noon. I've basically just been sleeping a lot. I had some complications and I think that's why I'm still so sore, although it's a lot better today. My Dr. didn't have to remove a hernia or anything, but my liver was still swollen and during surgery it slipped and a hole got poked through it.

How are you doing EastEnd? Everything okay?

I'm doing okay. I didn't have to stay in the hospital, my surgery was a 9am and they sent me home at noon. I've basically just been sleeping a lot. I had some complications and I think that's why I'm still so sore, although it's a lot better today. My Dr. didn't have to remove a hernia or anything, but my liver was still swollen and during surgery it slipped and a hole got poked through it.

Glad things went good for you. I am one day ahead of you on this and feel pretty good. I am making myself eat so that I heal. (I am not very hungary). I will tell you though Soup has never tasted this good!! Hope you are doing as well as me

Hole in the liver? How does that happen? Hopefully you'll be mending soon.

I'm just out of the hospital now. It was great , I shared a room with another lap bander and we had a good time. Got up a few times in the night .....walked around to make sure i got rid of the gas. Had pain killers every few hours. Was hooked uo to iv fluids for the duration, with antibiotics and anti naseua medicine just to be on the safe side. This morning they brought us down to radiology for an esophogram to make sure everything was moving through the band. It was so cool to see the band and port on a screen and then see the barium moving through.

Going to spend the rest of the day at home chilling with the dogs and husband. I just feel like i did 300000 sit-ups and am a bit groggy from the meds.

Be well and keep up the healing! Cheers to the new life!

Vanessa

I have no idea how it came to be that my liver was punctured. I'm not sure if the pain I still have is from that or just my incisions. Apparently the whole liver thing wasn't a big deal, my doctor called my husband and told him it happened and that it was due to my liver still being swollen. I was on a pre-diet of Atkins for two week previous and I swear on my mother's grave that I did not cheat, so not sure why it was still swollen.

Anyway, today things were a bit better, it's a tiny bit easier to get out of bed. I just took my first shower with hubby ready to catch me if something went wrong, but nothing did and I feel 100% better now! I actually felt some hunger today, and ate a popsicle, some apple juice, 3 bites of cream of wheat, and 1 yogurt. I also tried sipping on a Protein shake but didn't get very far (yuck yuck and more yuck).

I didn't take any pain meds today either, but I'm going to take some before I go to sleep. This was also the first day I didn't take a nap, I woke at 9am and was awake the whole day. I think some gas has returned, I'm feeling sore in the lower back, but that could also just be from sitting all day.

I have no idea how it came to be that my liver was punctured. I'm not sure if the pain I still have is from that or just my incisions. Apparently the whole liver thing wasn't a big deal, my doctor called my husband and told him it happened and that it was due to my liver still being swollen. I was on a pre-diet of Atkins for two week previous and I swear on my mother's grave that I did not cheat, so not sure why it was still swollen.

Anyway, today things were a bit better, it's a tiny bit easier to get out of bed. I just took my first shower with hubby ready to catch me if something went wrong, but nothing did and I feel 100% better now! I actually felt some hunger today, and ate a popsicle, some apple juice, 3 bites of cream of wheat, and 1 yogurt. I also tried sipping on a Protein shake but didn't get very far (yuck yuck and more yuck).

I didn't take any pain meds today either, but I'm going to take some before I go to sleep. This was also the first day I didn't take a nap, I woke at 9am and was awake the whole day. I think some gas has returned, I'm feeling sore in the lower back, but that could also just be from sitting all day.

Glad to hear your getting better each day. Do they want you off a whole week? Mine wants me off till I see him the following week, I did all my blood work yesterday and they gave me all my instructions and what to expect. She had to stick me twice for 2 vials of blood....so I just can't wait for the IV. LOL

Is the protien shake one the doctor carries? My doctor recommends fusion, anyone heard of that one and if yes how do they taste? Atleast I can buy the individual serving packets to try, the chewable Vitamins aren't bad.

My doctor didn't specify how long to be out of work. I just decided to take a week on my own, plus I'll probably work from hom for the rest of next week just to make sure I'm up to it.

I've tried a lot of Protein shakes and none of them appeal to me. I never was a milkshake drinker either, and the thickness and aftertaste just ....eww. I bought a bunch of different samples from Vitalady.com and I tried the cinnamon bun last night. My dh is going to stop at the store after work and pick up some non-fat milk so I can see how they taste that way. The good news is that I was raised on non-fat milk, so anything else gives me that same yucky thick texture I don't like. We'll see how it goes.

Vitamins - I did buy some liquid Vitamins, and they were all so gross! Dh is picking up some chewables tonight :)

My doctor didn't specify how long to be out of work. I just decided to take a week on my own, plus I'll probably work from hom for the rest of next week just to make sure I'm up to it.

I've tried a lot of Protein shakes and none of them appeal to me. I never was a milkshake drinker either, and the thickness and aftertaste just ....eww. I bought a bunch of different samples from Vitalady.com and I tried the cinnamon bun last night. My dh is going to stop at the store after work and pick up some non-fat milk so I can see how they taste that way. The good news is that I was raised on non-fat milk, so anything else gives me that same yucky thick texture I don't like. We'll see how it goes.

Vitamins - I did buy some liquid Vitamins, and they were all so gross! Dh is picking up some chewables tonight :)

Try the childrends Gummy bear ones. They are pretty good and my dr recomended them to me. I got mine from costco and also picked up the gummy Fiber while I was at it.

HI all, i'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in all this. Its very reassuring to hear some of y'all talking about the things that I'm going through. I am supposed to be on Clear Liquids for 7 days, then full liquids for another 7 days, then soft food until 4 weeks postop. I have done my best to only have clear liquids, but I am dying for some substance. I ate a lowfat yogurt yesterday and it took me a whole hour cuz I ate it so slow. I had no pain whatsoever while eating the yogurt and it went down just fine so I ate another yogurt today. Today was a really rough day, I'm 3 days postop and finally decided to get out of the house. I showered and went to them all for a pedicure and of course I didn't take pain meds since I was gonna drive, needless to say that was a big mistake. I was shaking and crying on the way home cuz I was in so much pain. These gas pains haven't gotten any better and it actually seems like walking makes it worse. My husband said he was gonna make me a Protein Shake tonight, he's so good at mixing flavors and I really don't mind the taste of the Protein Powder, it doesn't bother me. I know im supposed to be on clear liquids but I just don't think its physically possible, plus if I take my time and go slow, I think I'll be okay. Does anyone else feel thirsty all the time? I thought it was because I was dehydrated but I've been drinking Water and gatorade like crazy, but if I go more than like 30 minutes without drinking my mouth gets real dry.

oh ya and my doctor actually discouraged the Gummy bear Vitamins because theyre sticky and can stick to the upper stomach. I bought Flinstones and they seem to do the trick.

Just an update for me....

I was feeling better until a few hours ago, and then I think a lot of gas pain returned in my back. it's higher up, nearly between the shoulder blades now, and it's not very pleasant right now.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if I'm hungry or just sore. It's driving me crazy, and I've become so paranoid about having to vomit that I don't want to keep eating. It's still hard for me to stand completely upright, I want to walk around like a little old lady!

I had oatmeal today, kept that down fine, also some Campbell's chicken noodle Soup - ate the noodles too, no problems. I only ate about 1/4 of the bowl of Soup but it was pretty satisfying.

And since we're all going through this together, here's the gross part....I haven't had a poop since before surgery, but I am passing gas - and I mean LOUD gas - about every other hour. Anybody else running into this?