Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional Eaters ... HELP!!!

Well, here I am counting my carbs, eating 11 carbs for Breakfast and 5 carbs for lunch. My plan for dinner has less than 20 carbs. Then Murphy's Law comes into play. I am sitting at my desk and the phone rings ... wait .. a little back story: My bro and I went to visit our 90 yr old mom at the convalescent home yesterday. She wasn't well. The nurse said they had a call in to the doc to see what they should do. Her blood pressure had been extremely low and she was not herself.

After not receiving any emergency calls in the night, I called to check on my mom this morning and was told she was doing better, that her pressure was back to normal. Two hours later I get a call telling me that they are taking her to the hospital because her pressure is too high, then too low, then too high ... etc. My mom has a bad heart (among other ailments). I am now a bit frantic. The hospital is not far from my job so I am giving them time to check her in and run some tests before going there. Rosie Posey (that's my mom's name) is a tough cookie (no pun intended) and will probably be back at the home tomorrow, but, in the meantime ... I'm just worried sick.

Here's my problem ... all I can think about is a soft, sweet, sugar cookie! Geeeezzzz! WTH??!?!?!? I am worried about my mom and the closest thing to comfort for me is a sugar cookie. I'm not getting any work done here, but there's no point in leaving right now.

This is the worst it's been since banding.

Maybe I'll call my therapist.

Any suggestions to keep me away from the sugar Cookies?

Thanks. Wish me luck.

~Fran

Drink a very tall glass of Water, "at least a quart !" that will kill the hunger, drown it out.

If desperate get a flavor shake that you like.

I know many people hate exercise but...I have found when I am really stresses something as simple as a walk, bike ride, etc. really helps. Best of luck!

Stress eating is bad for you both emotionally and physically. That said it may be better for you to go to a good bakery buy one cookie; split it in half, throw half away in the bakery. Walk back to your car and eat it very slowly and mindfully. Think about each bite and chew it to mush. I find that if I have a obsessive craving I will eat everything but that trying to get the original thing out of mind. By the time I'm done I've eaten way more calories than I would have if I had just eaten the #$^%#% thing.

Wonderful! You recognize that your craving was just an emotional pacifier! That's good! Once we know *why* we eat, we can begin to create new, better, habits.

Don't give in to that craving! All it does is load the bad (sugar) carbs back into your system...which will create more cravings for sugar.

All I can do is tell you what I do and perhaps there's something here you can use or will give you ideas for other strategies...

These emotional cravings for sweets are not just necessarily emotional. I know when my adrenalin gets going from stress, it affects my blood sugar levels...which in turn cause a *physical* craving for carbs due to excess insulin being kicked out. My doctor told me to eat Protein because it will help raise my blood sugar but slowly...unlike something sugary which will do the same thing but then drop you even farther right after. I usually eat 1-2 oz of cheese...and then just white knuckle it until my blood sugar levels stabilize. I usually feel much better within 15-20 minutes and am able to resist that craving.

I'll drink Decaf tea, coffee or chicken broth...or just warm Water. It's soothing in the belly.

I talk myself down from that food precipice. I sit comfortably, close my eyes and then deliberately focus on relaxing every part of my body. Then I start talking to myself...perhaps just chanting a mantra such as "I am in control. For this moment I can do this. food does not rule my life."...whatever works for you, but the focus being on deliberately taking control and choosing to not let emotions dictate my life.

Like the alcoholic, I've learned to take it one moment at a time. All I need to do is get through this moment.

You can do this Fran!

Thanks to all for the suggestions. As it turns out, I had forgotten how tight my band gets when I am stressed. The result was that I couldn't even keep my dinner down, so even though Cookies tend to slide down, I was too stressed to even try.

This morning I am so tight I could barely get my meds down. I am having the hardest time getting out of the house to go walking. I am just so sad and worried about my mom. I know that exercise will help with the stress, so I am going to the park. Fortunately, I told my employer that I would be in late today. I will probably do Protein shakes today; I know that once I see my mom, I won't be able to swallow anything. I just can't bare the idea that my mom is drifting farther and farther away from the person I knew. I continue to pray ... Thy will, not mine, be done.

Thanks again to all. I really appreciate the people on this forum.

~Fran

i don't have any additional suggestions, but I want to offer you my support as you go through this time with your mother. Internet hugs to you :huggie:

i don't have any additional suggestions, but I want to offer you my support as you go through this time with your mother. Internet hugs to you :huggie:

Thanks stateofzen. Your hugs are much appreciated.:)

Well, here I am counting my carbs, eating 11 carbs for breakfast and 5 carbs for lunch. My plan for dinner has less than 20 carbs. Then Murphy's Law comes into play. I am sitting at my desk and the phone rings ... wait .. a little back story: My bro and I went to visit our 90 yr old mom at the convalescent home yesterday. She wasn't well. The nurse said they had a call in to the doc to see what they should do. Her blood pressure had been extremely low and she was not herself.

After not receiving any emergency calls in the night, I called to check on my mom this morning and was told she was doing better, that her pressure was back to normal. Two hours later I get a call telling me that they are taking her to the hospital because her pressure is too high, then too low, then too high ... etc. My mom has a bad heart (among other ailments). I am now a bit frantic. The hospital is not far from my job so I am giving them time to check her in and run some tests before going there. Rosie Posey (that's my mom's name) is a tough cookie (no pun intended) and will probably be back at the home tomorrow, but, in the meantime ... I'm just worried sick.

Here's my problem ... all I can think about is a soft, sweet, sugar cookie! Geeeezzzz! WTH??!?!?!? I am worried about my mom and the closest thing to comfort for me is a sugar cookie. I'm not getting any work done here, but there's no point in leaving right now.

This is the worst it's been since banding.

Maybe I'll call my therapist.

Any suggestions to keep me away from the sugar Cookies?

Thanks. Wish me luck.

~Fran

Great job on getting past the Beast of cravings. One thing that also works for me is really considering the fact that a lot of the time, I really feel like having something, and then in the end, when I eat it, it's NEVER as good as you remember it. Also, at the end of that last bite of the cookie, when you ask "was it worth it?" the answer is always, "No." It's not made anything better, your pain is still there, and now you can pile on guilt on top of it. So hang in there, and I'm sending good vibes for your Mama! :)

my doc sent me to the shrink for the emotional eating problem