Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having surgery on March 18th and am getting worried and afraid. First off, worried about surgery itself and afraid that this won't work for me. I tried to talk to my husband about it and he told me to cancel the surgery. I don't want to cancel the surgery. I know that I need it. I guess I am just looking for some encouragement. I have some will power but my hunger seems to over-power it. I think the band will help---first because I don't want to screw it up by eating what I am not allowed to have and second by keeping hunger pangs at bay.

Any help/encouragement/suggests would be great!

Rachael

I was the same way. I walked into the hospital that morning thinking "what am I doing?". So far I don't regret my decision, I was banded a little over 2 months ago--

Its natural to be worried and afraid, but DO NOT CANCEL!!!! Your life is going to be so much better. Its very important that you understand that the band is there to help, it will not do it all by itself (drinking milk shakes all day will not be the bands fault). My wife and I both got lapband and we have lost a combined 110lbs. and my health is so much better, im off all my meds except one, but even that was reduced to 25% dosage.

Follow all the instructions they give you, I like to eat bad foods once in a while, but you will find out you can't eat as much, so you still keep your weight down. Its the best decision I have ever made, my doctor says I will live longer because of this procedure. I used to wear 42-44 waist size jeans, and now I wear 33's, I love buying new clothes and so will you. Good Luck.

If you ever need anything let me know.

Ramg66

I can completely understand what you are going through since my surgery is scheduled for 2 days away! I am so nervous, scared and excited all at the same time. I know that loosing this weight is the best thing for me and my health. I want to be there for my children and grandchildren. At the rate I am going that just doesn't look probable. The closer I get the more scared I get! You can do this, it's for your health. Keep telling yourself that.

It's normal to be scared, and nervous. You wouldn't be normal if you weren't. Once you start getting fills, you will see how your hunger decreases, and you still eat, just not as much.

If you have medication that you are on do to weight, you might see that change also.

I stayed heavy to long, they didn't really have the band when I first got Married. Just by-pass. The weight shot both knees for me. So don't let yourself get into a problem that's not reversible, when it's available to you.

You can come on this site for anything, and someone will answer your questions all the time.

Good Health to you, I'm sure you will do what's write.

Shirley.

I too am scheduled for surgery on 3/18/11. I have heard so many people talk about how this surgery has changed their life, and the only thing they would of changed was to have their surgery sooner. We can do this. I believe this is a tool that is going to get us to a healthier body. :)

I am having surgery on March 18th and am getting worried and afraid. First off, worried about surgery itself and afraid that this won't work for me. I tried to talk to my husband about it and he told me to cancel the surgery. I don't want to cancel the surgery. I know that I need it. I guess I am just looking for some encouragement. I have some will power but my hunger seems to over-power it. I think the band will help---first because I don't want to screw it up by eating what I am not allowed to have and second by keeping hunger pangs at bay.

Rachael

Rachel,

If anyone will tell you that they were never worried or afraid prior to the surgery - they are either lying or should not pass the psych exam.

Having or not having surgery is your decision – I would not tell you to cancel or not :-)

But being worried and afraid is absolutely normal.

As I am one that is anxiously waiting for the whole process to take place..OMG..please don't cancel!!! When you regret it, it's not going to be easy to reschedule as you may have figured out if you read around this site. As everyone has already stated,,even some that have already had the surgery..it's ok to be scared. That is very normal. I think what made me finally decide I'm going to pursue this with a "no fear" attitude was when I went to the park last week and tried to walk. I have a form of muscular dystrophy on top of my weight plus alot of other health problems but as I walked at a snails pace around the circle, stopping often to rest, I heard snickers from teenagers as I would walk by. Then a skinny little thing ran past me..twice before I made it 1/4 of the way around. Then to top that off, an elderly couple briskly passed me and I heard the wife telling another passer by that her husband was doing so great. It was his 4th time around the trail and he had just had surgery and only had 1 lung. Then and there made me realize, I have got to do this. I cried my way back to my car feeling weak and tired, huffing a puffing. I hated myself and what I had become.

I know it isn't going to cure every disease I have but it sure is going to make my quality of life so much better and I will be able to tolerate so much more than I can now..like enjoying activities with my children. Something as simple as climbing bleachers,,it's very embarrassing to be the one stuck in the "special section" during assemblies that involve my kids or grandkids. People don't know that I'm sick, they look past that and see a fat person first. I have so many reasons to do this and so few to not. Set yourself down and make a list of why you shouldn't and why you should have the surgery and this will probably help you get over some of the pre surgery jitters. Good luck and God bless!

As I am one that is anxiously waiting for the whole process to take place..OMG..please don't cancel!!! When you regret it, it's not going to be easy to reschedule as you may have figured out if you read around this site. As everyone has already stated,,even some that have already had the surgery..it's ok to be scared. That is very normal. I think what made me finally decide I'm going to pursue this with a "no fear" attitude was when I went to the park last week and tried to walk. I have a form of muscular dystrophy on top of my weight plus alot of other health problems but as I walked at a snails pace around the circle, stopping often to rest, I heard snickers from teenagers as I would walk by. Then a skinny little thing ran past me..twice before I made it 1/4 of the way around. Then to top that off, an elderly couple briskly passed me and I heard the wife telling another passer by that her husband was doing so great. It was his 4th time around the trail and he had just had surgery and only had 1 lung. Then and there made me realize, I have got to do this. I cried my way back to my car feeling weak and tired, huffing a puffing. I hated myself and what I had become.

I know it isn't going to cure every disease I have but it sure is going to make my quality of life so much better and I will be able to tolerate so much more than I can now..like enjoying activities with my children. Something as simple as climbing bleachers,,it's very embarrassing to be the one stuck in the "special section" during assemblies that involve my kids or grandkids. People don't know that I'm sick, they look past that and see a fat person first. I have so many reasons to do this and so few to not. Set yourself down and make a list of why you shouldn't and why you should have the surgery and this will probably help you get over some of the pre surgery jitters. Good luck and God bless!

You and me both have problems... I have 2 artificial knees, and a disease called Pockets. It's so unusual that Dr.'s have not given it a name. But I'm sure you all have seen the man, that his belly hangs to his knees ! That's pockets. Pockets of Water that are store between the skin, and flesh.like a CAMEL. Dr's don't know why this happens, but they do know if you don't have Bariatric surgery, you will drown in your bodily fluids. I had my Knees replaced, so I walk, and I try not to drink much at all. But still people look at you like are you stupid ! Why would you want to live, and look like this. Well I don't want to.. So now with time since this band has been adjusted. I know it will start to come off. So hang in there. When the weight starts to come off, we will be in better shape.

To the lady that started this post: : There is always someone who is in different shape then you. If they can do it, you can too.

Thanks everyone! I was looking at my two small boys (2 and 6 years) and realized why I started this whole process. I am tired of being heavy. I can't play with them without getting tired and out of breath. I hate that my back hurts and people look right pass me like I am stupid (I have a master's degree). I am ready. I think I just got a case of cold feet. I have realized something on my "last meal" Quest....nothing taste that good. I mean for a second it tastes good then, I get disgusted with myself. I can't wait to be able to wear shorts this summer without being embarassed. I can't wait to not be the fat mom in every group. I will be able to get through 5 days of the liquid diet and the surgery....I can do this.

NO EXCUSES!! God will help me!

Thanks everyone! I was looking at my two small boys (2 and 6 years) and realized why I started this whole process. I am tired of being heavy. I can't play with them without getting tired and out of breath. I hate that my back hurts and people look right pass me like I am stupid (I have a master's degree). I am ready. I think I just got a case of cold feet. I have realized something on my "last meal" quest....nothing taste that good. I mean for a second it tastes good then, I get disgusted with myself. I can't wait to be able to wear shorts this summer without being embarassed. I can't wait to not be the fat mom in every group. I will be able to get through 5 days of the liquid diet and the surgery....I can do this.

You can do this!!! It's going to be great and you're going to do great! Good luck with everything!!!!

Thanks everyone! I was looking at my two small boys (2 and 6 years) and realized why I started this whole process. I am tired of being heavy. I can't play with them without getting tired and out of breath. I hate that my back hurts and people look right pass me like I am stupid (I have a master's degree). I am ready. I think I just got a case of cold feet. I have realized something on my "last meal" quest....nothing taste that good. I mean for a second it tastes good then, I get disgusted with myself. I can't wait to be able to wear shorts this summer without being embarassed. I can't wait to not be the fat mom in every group. I will be able to get through 5 days of the liquid diet and the surgery....I can do this.

Now you got the Drive ! That's Great... Welcome aboard...

Some people live to fight, We fight to live. The General Public still doesn't understand. (ALTHOUGH IT IS GETTING BETTER !)

So give yourself time, and this will work. HAVE A NEW HAPPY BIRTHDAY !

Rachael

Hi Rachel

I went through some major doubts about a week ago, I contacted a friend of mine, she had her surgery last year. It's the best thing she's ever done, she's down about 80 pounds and though life isn't like it was (as far as eating), it's going okay, I'm currently in the two week high Protein fast, as of this morning I'm down 26 pounds.

my surgery is tomorrow morning....yup..I'm being lap-banded on Fat Tuesday......:)

As long as you follow the rules it will work like the surgeon says it will. I'm fortunate in that my surgeon believes in lots of education before and after surgery, we have a support group which you are highly encouraged to attend. This works, and you can do it.

Whenever we do something we've never done before, it's always scary, but they've been doing lap-bands for over 20 years. Hang in there. For YOU!

Hi Rachel

I went through some major doubts about a week ago, I contacted a friend of mine, she had her surgery last year. It's the best thing she's ever done, she's down about 80 pounds and though life isn't like it was (as far as eating), it's going okay, I'm currently in the two week high Protein fast, as of this morning I'm down 26 pounds.

my surgery is tomorrow morning....yup..I'm being lap-banded on Fat Tuesday......:)

As long as you follow the rules it will work like the surgeon says it will. I'm fortunate in that my surgeon believes in lots of education before and after surgery, we have a support group which you are highly encouraged to attend. This works, and you can do it.

Whenever we do something we've never done before, it's always scary, but they've been doing lap-bands for over 20 years. Hang in there. For YOU!

Good luck tomorrow!!