Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone - I am new to this site and would appreciate your help. After going through all the prerequisites for the lapband, my insurance company denied me last week. Just met with my surgeon Friday who told me that my best bet would be to be banded in Mexico and he would do the consequent fills. Does anyone have any recommendations with surgeons in Mexico? Some websites look really cheesy.... the only one that looks somewhat credible is Dr. Kuri. I really would appreciate your input!!

PS. Never been on a discussion forum before, so I hope I am doing this right!

Hi everyone - I am new to this site and would appreciate your help. After going through all the prerequisites for the lapband, my insurance company denied me last week. Just met with my surgeon Friday who told me that my best bet would be to be banded in Mexico and he would do the consequent fills. Does anyone have any recommendations with surgeons in Mexico? Some websites look really cheesy.... the only one that looks somewhat credible is Dr. Kuri. I really would appreciate your input!!

I got banded in mexico in 2008. I went to beliteweight.com At the time it was $7,000 for everything except airfare. The surgery was done in Tijuanna mexico. I didnt fly into TJ because it cost more money for the plane ticket .I went to San Diego. The people had a special van pick us up and take us to the hospital to have the sergery.I LOVED the treatment I recieved there. The hospital was very clean even better than the hospitals here in the states. Give them a call and they have a web site as well for you to see the hospital and see the surgen's certific's and everything.

Thanks for the info, Cristy! I narrowed my search down to Dr. Ortiz ($6000) and Dr. Kuri ($6500). Both sound very professional and capable. I think both would do a good job.

Does anyone have any input?

I got banded in Mexico in 2008. I went to BeLiteWeight.com At the time it was $7,000 for everything except airfare. The surgery was done in Tijuanna mexico. I didnt fly into TJ because it cost more money for the plane ticket .I went to San Diego. The people had a special van pick us up and take us to the hospital to have the sergery.I LOVED the treatment I recieved there. The hospital was very clean even better than the hospitals here in the states. Give them a call and they have a web site as well for you to see the hospital and see the surgen's certific's and everything.

Have you tried doing an appeal with insurance company?

My local surgeon has filed an appeal last week. He said it can take up to 30 days to hear back from the insurance company regarding the appeal. I thought this might be a good time to research self pay options in Mexico. By the way, my doctor here said he would do the fills and after care, so that helps out a LOT. I am leaning towards Dr. Ortiz as he is a little cheaper (by $500), but if anyone feels strongly about Dr. Kuri I would appreciate to hear their story. My first choice, of course, would be to get it done locally and not have to worry about travelling to Mexico (I am in Minnesota), but I am ready to go if the insurance company says no again. I am not very hopeful with the appeal, because nothing really has changed other than the fact that my surgeon will make a strong argument in his letter about me needing this surgery. Has anyone had their insurance denial reversed in the appeal process? Would love to hear from you!

Have you tried doing an appeal with insurance company?

My local surgeon has filed an appeal last week. He said it can take up to 30 days to hear back from the insurance company regarding the appeal. I thought this might be a good time to research self pay options in Mexico. By the way, my doctor here said he would do the fills and after care, so that helps out a LOT. I am leaning towards Dr. Ortiz as he is a little cheaper (by $500), but if anyone feels strongly about Dr. Kuri I would appreciate to hear their story. My first choice, of course, would be to get it done locally and not have to worry about travelling to Mexico (I am in Minnesota), but I am ready to go if the insurance company says no again. I am not very hopeful with the appeal, because nothing really has changed other than the fact that my surgeon will make a strong argument in his letter about me needing this surgery. Has anyone had their insurance denial reversed in the appeal process? Would love to hear from you!

I understand your need for a backup plan. Unfortunately, my insurance had a WLS exclusion, so there was not even a process for me to go through. I was self-pay, but got a good deal since I got my hiatal hernia fixed at the same time. Maybe you could find out if you have one and work out a deal with a surgeon. There are mixed reviews on surgery in Mexico. I have heard they use an inferior band, the surgeon isn't qualified, or the quality of care isn't up to par. I don't know because I didn't have surgery in Mexico. Some say it's good and some say it's bad, but either way you have to do what's best for you! It is good that you have a doctor that will work with you because I've heard that alot of doctors don't want to touch you if you've had surgery in Mexico. Personally, I think it's a viable option and if I need cosmetic surgery after extreme weight loss that would probably be my only option. I wish you luck in your journey and don't get discouraged or give up. I looked into this in 2008 and gave up because my insurance at that time also had a WLS exclusion. Don't be like me, I could be at goal by now.

I'm having surgery in Mexico on June 28th and I'm getting it done by Dr. Lopez Corvala in Tijuana. He is one of the top ten bariatric surgerions in the World and has taught classes at a Univerisity in Baha CA. He has an excellent resume. I'm only paying 5,000 for my surgery coming up and I'll fly into San Diego and be picked up and taken over the border. All transportation is paid for. I don't have to worry about taxi's. I spend 2 nights in the hospital and one night in a hotel right by the hospital. The hospital is NICE it's called Angeles Hospital and is in a tourist american part of TJ with a starbucks, sams club, movie theatre in english...etc.

I've known 3 people who have gone to Mexico and all were very HAPPY over it! Good luck on your journey. :)

I had my surgery last March by Dr. Kuri and I loved him. Everything went perfect and it is just like people have commented above. They come and pick you up at the border and take you back to the states. The hospital is the cleanest I have ever seen and everyone you meet is the kindest people you will meet. I would not hesitate to recommend anyone to Dr. Kuri. Good luck with your decision.

I had Lap Band surgery in Cancun. Mexico on March 4th

It was essentially a mini-vacation!

The total cost of the surgery was $5,400.

My hotel stay for three days came to $230 at the Westin Hotel.

I scheduled through BeLiteWeight and everything was perfect!!

Jessica, my facilitator was GREAT.

She pretty much held my hand through the

Dr. Ceron and Dr. Corzo were top notch. The facilities and cleanliness were what i would expect in any US hospital...maybe even more!

If you are gonna go to Mexico, check them out!

Feel free to direct message me if you have any more questions!!!

How long are you having to wait until your surgery? Im looking into this hospital as well and am wondering what the wait times are for the lapband.

I'm having surgery in Mexico on June 28th and I'm getting it done by Dr. Lopez Corvala in Tijuana. He is one of the top ten bariatric surgerions in the World and has taught classes at a Univerisity in Baha CA. He has an excellent resume. I'm only paying 5,000 for my surgery coming up and I'll fly into San Diego and be picked up and taken over the border. All transportation is paid for. I don't have to worry about taxi's. I spend 2 nights in the hospital and one night in a hotel right by the hospital. The hospital is NICE it's called Angeles Hospital and is in a tourist american part of TJ with a starbucks, sams club, movie theatre in english...etc.

I've known 3 people who have gone to Mexico and all were very HAPPY over it! Good luck on your journey. :)

Before my insurance was approved, I looked into Mexico also. It seemed like a great option with state of the art facilities. I do know that here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area there are several weight loss clinics that charge 9,000 for cash pay patients. I think they are TrueResults but I can not think of the others! :D

I'm not sure what the wait time is because I set mine up a few months ago and picked my surgery date since I was doing it so far in advance. I don't think the wait time is long and from what I know everything about this place is great so far!

How long are you having to wait until your surgery? Im looking into this hospital as well and am wondering what the wait times are for the lapband.

Im being banded on june 30 with dr ortiz. there is a lot of information onhim on the web (all positive) i havent found anything negative.. he also has you tube videos talking about concerns people have with surgery and real patients telling their stories in their hospital beds.. Good luck hope this helps

Thanks for the info, Cristy! I narrowed my search down to Dr. Ortiz ($6000) and Dr. Kuri ($6500). Both sound very professional and capable. I think both would do a good job.

Does anyone have any input?