Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting back to cabbage meals!

Okay, no restriction = no weight loss. Haven't really lost any weight and I've also not been eating cabbage with meat sauces for most meals lately! So guess what, tomorrow I'm cooking up another batch of cabbage, (with alfredo & spicy lean meat & turkey sausage sauce--YUM) and seeing if I can't lose some more weight on my own then!

That sounds kinda yummy. I never really liked cooked cabbage, but my tastes have changed. I'm a bit worried about gas with the cabbage, so I better try it on the weekend.:blink:

I'm gonna try the cabbage and spaghetti squash recipes... Always looking for something different. Those sound good

A friend of mine talked about how they use cabbage instead of Pasta for quite awhile before I finally tried it. When I did I was really surprised how good it is! It's much better than it sounds. Also it's really satisfying. About a cup or so cooked cabbage with whatever meat sauce and the calories are about same as a lean quisine. I cook a head of cabbage and a jar of sauce, add meat of choice, and it lasts me for a week of lunches or more.

About the gas: Not that bad, really!!!!

That sounds kinda yummy. I never really liked cooked cabbage, but my tastes have changed. I'm a bit worried about gas with the cabbage, so I better try it on the weekend.:blink:

I *love* cabbage fixed anyway you can think of it (except creamed) but from my first fill I haven't been able to eat it. Who knew that you could cook cabbage to slush and it would *still* get stuck (and then it's yucky)! I had a complete unfill last Monday and guess what I brought home from the grocery store...yep...cabbage.

I make low carb meatballs (ground beef mixed with a bit of bacon, parmesan cheese, egg and herbs) so I just used that. Parboiled the cabbage, rolled some meat up in each leaf, stuck them in my slow cooker with some saurkraut and a sprinkle of caraway seeds and let it cook all day. Yummy yummy.

That sounds delish! I'm such a bland boring cook, but I love cabbage. It's turned out to be a great low cal filler. I like the sound of the beef/bacon combo, think I'll try that! Wish me luck :)

I *love* cabbage fixed anyway you can think of it (except creamed) but from my first fill I haven't been able to eat it. Who knew that you could cook cabbage to slush and it would *still* get stuck (and then it's yucky)! I had a complete unfill last Monday and guess what I brought home from the grocery store...yep...cabbage.

I make low carb meatballs (ground beef mixed with a bit of bacon, parmesan cheese, egg and herbs) so I just used that. Parboiled the cabbage, rolled some meat up in each leaf, stuck them in my slow cooker with some saurkraut and a sprinkle of caraway seeds and let it cook all day. Yummy yummy.

Mattie,

I used 1# ground beef, 1 oz bacon, chopped fine, 2 garlic cloves minced, 3 Tbs grated parmesan cheese, 1 egg and 1/8 c. dried parsley, salt and pepper. I used to put 1 Tbs dried breadcrumbs in, but I stopped using wheat products. I haven't really noticed a difference in leaving them out.

OMG Yumm these all sound very good! So weird i've always loved cabbage, but yes don't like the gas :blink:. lol. so funny i saw this post, this morning i was looking up cabbage Soup recipes like the one from weight watchers so i could eat it with very low calories, but that gets very boring. And i never heard of it used in place of Pasta, yummm. I can't imagine anyone not liking it, even just boiled with a pinch of salt.

Yeah I know, I wouldn't try it for a long time, thought my friend was nuts. I'm not liking the alfredo sauce so much this batch, today I prefer the spaghetti/meat sauce over cabbage. I once took a hamburger patti w/cabbage on the side and topped it with a little gravy. That was pretty good too.

OMG Yumm these all sound very good! So weird i've always loved cabbage, but yes don't like the gas :blink:. lol. so funny i saw this post, this morning i was looking up cabbage Soup recipes like the one from weight watchers so i could eat it with very low calories, but that gets very boring. And i never heard of it used in place of Pasta, yummm. I can't imagine anyone not liking it, even just boiled with a pinch of salt.

Make sure you have "Beano" tablets to aid with gas reduction.

I love cabbage. These all sound really good. I'm not even banded yet and I will be doing some of these soon. Haven't had cabbage in a while. I've never had spaghetti squash. Maybe I will give that a try too!

Did I seriously just get lifestyle advice about a freaking cabbage meal post!!!!!

Hey newsflash people!!! Your unsolicited advice is not welcome to most of us!!! The poster will ASK for it if that's what is wanted! We're tired of reading this kind of crap. Also, another newsflash!!! If you are working so hard to lose weight, stop giving credit to the band!! Your freaking diet is why you're losing weight, not your "tool" you love to brag about!

Actually, it's not crap. It's really good advice. I am working very hard to lose weight. I work my butt off at the gym, and I actually eat right. My workouts are so intense, that I doubt you would last through one. I hardly give my Lap Band credit. It just makes me eat less. That's it. It doesn't help me run 4 miles nor does it help me choose carrot sticks over chocolate cake. My Lap Band gave me the motivation to change my lifestyle. I didn't get it so I could go on some stupid, pointless cabbage diet only to gain to back once I get off of it. I feel sorry for you. When you get off your cabbage diet, and gain your weight back, you'll be wanting advice. I am right, and you know it. Everyone here knows it. :)

This is missing Protein so I'll add turkey smoked sausage or something. Came across the recipe in my email.

Sweet and Tart Vegetable Stew

Serves 6 as a main dish

15 minutes prep time; 30 to 40 minutes stove time

The stew keeps 5 days in the refrigerator, and is excellent reheated or at room temperature.

Cook to Cook: Cutting the vegetables in the food processor will save time. And if you can, use organic vegetables.

The Sauté:

• Good-tasting extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 large carrots, peeled and thin sliced
  • 1 small (about 1-1/4 pounds) green cabbage, thin sliced
  • 2 medium to large onions, coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 5 large garlic cloves, minced

Spice Blend:

• 2 teaspoons ground allspice
  • 1 generous teaspoon each ground coriander and ground ginger
  • 2 tablespoons each sweet paprika and dried basil
  • 2 tablespoons sugar, or more to taste

Liquids:

• 1/3 cup vinegar (red wine or cider vinegar)
  • 1 cup vegetable broth or Water
  • 1 14-ounce can whole tomatoes
  • Water as needed

1. Film the bottom of a straight-sided 12-inch sauté pan with oil and set it over medium-high heat. Once it's hot, add the carrots, cabbage and onions. Sprinkle them with the salt and pepper, and sauté the vegetables for 10 minutes, stirring them often, or until they're browning (this is where the stew's depth comes from). Stir in the garlic, the spices and sugar. Cook until the spices are fragrant, but no more than a minute.
  2. Pour the vinegar into the pan and boil it down as you scrape up any brown glaze from the bottom of the pan. When there is no liquid left, stir in the broth or Water, and the tomatoes and their juice, crushing them with your hands as they go into the pan. The vegetables should be barely covered with liquid. Add a little water if necessary.
  3. Bring the liquid to a gentle simmer, cover the pan, and cook for 10 minutes (check often for sticking), or until the carrots are barely tender. Uncover the pan and turn up the heat so the liquid is at a fast bubble. Cook off the excess liquid, stirring the stew often to protect the vegetables from burning. You want the sauce to be thick and rich tasting with a sweet-tart balance. Add more sugar, vinegar, salt and/or pepper as needed.
  4. Serve the stew hot, at room temperature, or reheated.

As I sit here eating a piece of chicken, I am laughing that you somehow misconstrued this post to mean I am on a cabbage diet. Whatever!

Actually, it's not crap. It's really good advice. I am working very hard to lose weight. I work my butt off at the gym, and I actually eat right. My workouts are so intense, that I doubt you would last through one. I hardly give my Lap Band credit. It just makes me eat less. That's it. It doesn't help me run 4 miles nor does it help me choose carrot sticks over chocolate cake. My Lap Band gave me the motivation to change my lifestyle. I didn't get it so I could go on some stupid, pointless cabbage diet only to gain to back once I get off of it. I feel sorry for you. When you get off your cabbage diet, and gain your weight back, you'll be wanting advice. I am right, and you know it. Everyone here knows it. :)

Thanks it sounds great! I have a head of cabbage in the fridge that needs a recipe :)

This is missing Protein so I'll add turkey smoked sausage or something. Came across the recipe in my email.

Sweet and Tart Vegetable Stew

Serves 6 as a main dish

15 minutes prep time; 30 to 40 minutes stove time

The stew keeps 5 days in the refrigerator, and is excellent reheated or at room temperature.

Cook to Cook: Cutting the vegetables in the food processor will save time. And if you can, use organic vegetables.

The Sauté:

• Good-tasting extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 large carrots, peeled and thin sliced
  • 1 small (about 1-1/4 pounds) green cabbage, thin sliced
  • 2 medium to large onions, coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 5 large garlic cloves, minced

Spice Blend:

• 2 teaspoons ground allspice
  • 1 generous teaspoon each ground coriander and ground ginger
  • 2 tablespoons each sweet paprika and dried basil
  • 2 tablespoons sugar, or more to taste

Liquids:

• 1/3 cup vinegar (red wine or cider vinegar)
  • 1 cup vegetable broth or Water
  • 1 14-ounce can whole tomatoes
  • Water as needed

1. Film the bottom of a straight-sided 12-inch sauté pan with oil and set it over medium-high heat. Once it's hot, add the carrots, cabbage and onions. Sprinkle them with the salt and pepper, and sauté the vegetables for 10 minutes, stirring them often, or until they're browning (this is where the stew's depth comes from). Stir in the garlic, the spices and sugar. Cook until the spices are fragrant, but no more than a minute.
  2. Pour the vinegar into the pan and boil it down as you scrape up any brown glaze from the bottom of the pan. When there is no liquid left, stir in the broth or Water, and the tomatoes and their juice, crushing them with your hands as they go into the pan. The vegetables should be barely covered with liquid. Add a little water if necessary.
  3. Bring the liquid to a gentle simmer, cover the pan, and cook for 10 minutes (check often for sticking), or until the carrots are barely tender. Uncover the pan and turn up the heat so the liquid is at a fast bubble. Cook off the excess liquid, stirring the stew often to protect the vegetables from burning. You want the sauce to be thick and rich tasting with a sweet-tart balance. Add more sugar, vinegar, salt and/or pepper as needed.
  4. Serve the stew hot, at room temperature, or reheated.

As I sit here eating a piece of chicken, I am laughing that you somehow misconstrued this post to mean I am on a cabbage diet. Whatever!

I feel so sorry for you.