Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting back to cabbage meals!

I *love* cabbage fixed anyway you can think of it (except creamed) but from my first fill I haven't been able to eat it. Who knew that you could cook cabbage to slush and it would *still* get stuck (and then it's yucky)! I had a complete unfill last Monday and guess what I brought home from the grocery store...yep...cabbage.

I make low carb meatballs (ground beef mixed with a bit of bacon, parmesan cheese, egg and herbs) so I just used that. Parboiled the cabbage, rolled some meat up in each leaf, stuck them in my slow cooker with some saurkraut and a sprinkle of caraway seeds and let it cook all day. Yummy yummy.

THAT SOUNDS DELISH!!! I will have to give it a try :)

A friend of mine talked about how they use cabbage instead of Pasta for quite awhile before I finally tried it. When I did I was really surprised how good it is! It's much better than it sounds. Also it's really satisfying. About a cup or so cooked cabbage with whatever meat sauce and the calories are about same as a lean quisine. I cook a head of cabbage and a jar of sauce, add meat of choice, and it lasts me for a week of lunches or more.

About the gas: Not that bad, really!!!!

The cabbage as Pasta kinda makes sense to me- same texture, right? And the taste is "bland" enough not to be unpleasant with the sauce.

I'm with Heather above though-- I've found a good meatball marinara with cheese makes me happy enough to forget about the pasta. But this cabbage idea is worth a try.

I know it sounds crazy, who'd have thought-cabbage? My friend is skinny so she tells me a lot of her low cal tips now that I feel like listening!

The cabbage as Pasta kinda makes sense to me- same texture, right? And the taste is "bland" enough not to be unpleasant with the sauce.

I'm with Heather above though-- I've found a good meatball marinara with cheese makes me happy enough to forget about the Pasta. But this cabbage idea is worth a try.

Manda: I have no clue where you got the idea that any of us are on a 'cabbage' diet. We are discussing cabbage as a part of our meal...just as broccoli or brussel sprouts or any other low carb vegie would be. Don't feel sorry for us...we *love* cabbage!

Mattie: Have you ever tried oven roasted cabbage? I brush it with olive oil, sprinkle with just a bit of Kosher salt and pepper and bake like I do any roasted vegie. Yummy!

Zen and Rainy: Try a marinara type sauce with meatballs over spaghetti squash. I think it makes a very nice substitute for Pasta. You can also use Shirataki noodles (found near the tofu in the supermarket) which are zero carb I believe. They're made from glucomannan a dietary Fiber. I don't care for them but some low carbers swear by them.

Eww Cabbage haha.

Doesn't alfredo have like 100 grams of fat..?

I love turkey meatballs with marinara, it's tasty! don't miss the Pasta.

You should really try this. I did the cabbage Soup diet, it doesn't last. I was on unsulin for Type II diabetes when I discovered this program. Type II diabetes is normally caused by obesity, which I also had. I no longer need insulin and my cholesterol and triglycerides have never been lower. I used this <a href="http://f2bae-rps24s8w6isdllxqclaf.hop.clickbank.net/" target="_top">Click Here!</a>.

That sounds really good roasted! I still have that head of cabbage...did you ever notice that cabbage lasts forever uncooked???

Well, I fell off the cabbage wagon and had spinach tonight. ...oops. LOL

Manda: I have no clue where you got the idea that any of us are on a 'cabbage' diet. We are discussing cabbage as a part of our meal...just as broccoli or brussel sprouts or any other low carb vegie would be. Don't feel sorry for us...we *love* cabbage!

Mattie: Have you ever tried oven roasted cabbage? I brush it with olive oil, sprinkle with just a bit of Kosher salt and pepper and bake like I do any roasted vegie. Yummy!

Zen and Rainy: Try a marinara type sauce with meatballs over spaghetti squash. I think it makes a very nice substitute for Pasta. You can also use Shirataki noodles (found near the tofu in the supermarket) which are zero carb I believe. They're made from glucomannan a dietary Fiber. I don't care for them but some low carbers swear by them.

You should really try this. I did the cabbage Soup diet, it doesn't last. I was on unsulin for Type II diabetes when I discovered this program. Type II diabetes is normally caused by obesity, which I also had. I no longer need insulin and my cholesterol and triglycerides have never been lower. I used this <a href="http://f2bae-rps24s8w6isdllxqclaf.hop.clickbank.net/" target="_top">Click Here!</a>.

Your link doesn't work so not sure what your success was due to but I think most of us agree that fad diets (like the cabbage soup diet) rarely work or last. I was also a Type 2 diabetic on insulin but no longer. My success was finally getting rid of the carbs (except those in vegies) in my diet...no grains, no starches, no fruit. It would be nice if one day I could add them back in, but for now they send my blood sugar skyrocketing.

Cabbage does sound great. I have put sauce over other roasted vegetables; but, never thought of using cabbage. Thanks for the suggestion!!!

I've never been a fan of marinara type sauces. It's something I've disliked from a bad experience in childhood. I do have a jar of alfredo type sauce in the pantry and it's the weekend. Maybe I'll run (really drive) down to the store and get some cabbage. I don't count calories or fat and am at goal, so no need for anyone to tell me alfredo is high cal or high fat :P .

I'll let y'all know how I liked it :D .

I love doing Atkins because I don't have to worry about the fat (within reason). Most diets are low fat (20-30%) but mine is more like 60-70% so I can have alfredo sauce. However, since I do watch my carbs and I'm down around 20 right now, marinara or spaghetti sauces are too high. When I get to the point where I want to increase them to around 30-45, I can have it back though.