Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone experience back pain with the band?

I have severe back pain as well... I was banded on the 12/15 and I was in the ER room on 1/5 - 1/6... I was told I had pulled the muscles in my stomach and I also had kidney stones... My back is killing me now but I'm not ready to give up the band as of yet... it hasn't been a month for me and I haven't lost much weight. I really want to wait it out... I'm back on Lortab and now Celebrex... I only need to take 15 cc of the Lortab and it will last almost 20 hours. So now the pain is back but I can move around without screaming so I won't take the medicine.I don't like the Celebrex makes me feel so I probably will only take 1 pill a day instead of 2... I see the Dr on Friday....

I love the band and I'm too new to give it up, I'm only 3 weeks out and I'm going to try to wait it out and hopefully Ill heal soon...

I wish I had something to add but just want you to know how sorry I am that nobody can figure out your pain. Unfortunately, the surgeon charges one large fee, which some surgeons might be willing to work with. But you're still left with the hospital fee and a separate anethesia fee. I wish you luck with your calls.

mrsgdmc: You know, this reminds me of my first visits where I complained about the pain. My surgeon said it sounded alot like kidney stones and gave me a 3month vicoden script. I was also taking vioxx, which helped more than the vicoden.

Ask the doc for a muscle relaxant instead of the lortab, it might help more. The best one that I've used thus far is Baclofen.

K - call me crazy - but is there ANY chance this could be gas pains translated into back pain? Have you tried taking an OTC gad relief med?

I have read about people having shoulder paid due to gas - is it possible this is some weird extension of that?

Just a thought. I would try anything before I gave up a Band.

Good Luck.

Hope you feel better, soon.

Gastritis can cause back pain along with reflux; a woman who used ot post here had the same symptoms as you and the dr.s never got to the bottom of it; I am convinced there was something wrong with the placement or that the surgeon left an instrument inside her:eek:

I hope you figure out what the problem is:cry

I read early in my research of the lapband that if the band is placed in the wrong position it can cause complications ... I sure hope thats not the case... Oh and Thanks Anthony for the response

I read early in my research of the lapband that if the band is placed in the wrong position it can cause complications ... I sure hope thats not the case... Oh and Thanks Anthony for the response

Dear Anthony ....

Several people here have asked you about fuller details in your banding. More than just hearing about the relentless pain and not being able to burp. (as an aside, It is highly unusual to not be able to burp at all -- afterall, the opening at the distal end of the esophagus just has to open up briefly, as it does whenever you swallow something... Tho it IS necessary to be relaxed enough to burp.... Tension can keep someone from burping - which is why the consumption of alcohol can lead to "accidental" noisy burps in someone who normally suppresses them.)

Anyway, I have wondered about your degree of restriction and what sort of foods you have been able to regularly consume without difficulty. Do you still have to consume a soft diet or are you totally on a regular diet. I have been wondering how often you slime or PB, and what this tends to happen in conjunction with.

What has your weight loss been and are you now at a normal BMI?

I hope you can help by giving us a fuller picture, and if you have that band removed, I do hope you keep us updated about scheduling surgery and then, when you get home, I hope you let us know if it gives you the cure that you hope for.

And ESPECIALLY, we will all want to know just what the surgeon finds wrong with the placement of your band --- your keeping us informed can help so many immeasureably by adding to the knowledge base, and can hopefully be of help in making sure this doesn't happen to other patients --- in that regard, it would be great if your surgeon sends Inamed a copy of your operative report and perhaps submits your symptom history and surgical findings to a bariatric journal.

Thanks so much for sharing your (painful) journey with us....

Theresa Reynolds

Wow, this thread has become hijacked beyond belief.

Starting weight: 315. I got down to 230, but at that level of fill, I had such extreme gas that functioning in any sort of environment where I had to sit for longer than 45 minutes (such as college) would be incomprehensible. I am now back at 270. At 6'1, this is nowhere near an ideal weight.

As far as burping goes, it's a matter of band retention, when my fills are tighter, I can swallow air, but cannot get it to come back out, something that is a known problem with the band, albeit a rare one according to my surgeon.

I am on a "regular" diet, regular in the sense that I can eat most common foods as long as they are not bready, or resistant to easily breaking down, such as raw fruits, raw vegetables, or meats, unless they are stewed or processed. I simply avoid all foods that make me "slime".

Wow, this thread has become hijacked beyond belief.

Oh dear me... :confused: I'm sorry -- but I am learning SO much and you are helping so many people... so do know that your postings are very appreciated.

Starting weight: 315. I got down to 230, but at that level of fill, I had such extreme gas that functioning in any sort of environment where I had to sit for longer than 45 minutes (such as college) would be incomprehensible. I am now back at 270. At 6'1, this is nowhere near an ideal weight.

It is highly disappointing to regain weight on the band, but it does happen in certain situations. Most often, it happens in cases of under-restriction and over-restriction.

As far as burping goes, it's a matter of band retention, when my fills are tighter, I can swallow air, but cannot get it to come back out, something that is a known problem with the band, albeit a rare one according to my surgeon.

Again, what I hear is that you are too tightly restricted, and have been for a very long time. Why do you think your doctor has chosen to let this continue like this when your degree of restriction has had such negative adverse affects?

I am on a "regular" diet, regular in the sense that I can eat most common foods as long as they are not bready, or resistant to easily breaking down, such as raw fruits, raw vegetables, or meats, unless they are stewed or processed. I simply avoid all foods that make me "slime".

The fill tech I most consult with would suggest an immediate partial unfill. This strong degree of restriction has not resulted in a reduced calorie consumption which strongly suggests "soft food syndrome". Or, perhaps, you may be drinking with meals or too soon after meals.

Something that needs to be done is to carry a small spiral notepad around with you all day long for at least a week, writing down every last morsel you put in your mouth -- and detailing the exact quantity. Use a set of measuring cups and measuring spoons to do so accurately.

Then sit down at http://www.CalorieKing.com and find out what your ACTUAL calorie intake has been for that week. Remember that none of us have a clue as to your identity and no one but you will ever see the contents of that spiral notebook and no one but you will ever read the totals you calculate at CalorieKing.

In order to lose 1 pound a week, we must eat 3,500 calories LESS than normally (if, that is, we are currently eating so as to maintain a steady weight). in order to lose 2 pounds a week, we must then add enough EXTRA physical activity to burn an extra 500 calories a day.

Of course, avoiding carbs and focusing on Protein will cause our metabolism to be boosted (takes more calories to digest and process proteins). Also, keeping well hydrated boosts metabolism. When we are dehydrated, our core body temperature drops. Staying in a colder environment and wearing less coverings to stay warm burns extra calories (so does drinking cold liquids). You are already doing GREAT where it comes to having built muscle mass, so you've got that cornered.

I, like others with High Insulin Resistance, aka Metabolic Syndrome, aka Syndrome X, has ferociously strong hunger attacks triggered by the consumption of carbohydrates -- particularly the more refined "white" calories like potatoes, rice, Pasta and the digestible sugars. When I am starving, I end up eating too often --- refilling my pouch more than 3 times a day. I have to strictly limit my carbs so I don't overeat and have irresistable cravings for MORE carbs.

I have recently come to recognize that some runners, after bypass operations, have a difficult time because they can no longer carb-load for long runs and races, and they need to become informed that carb-loading is not necessary ... that Proteins CAN do the job.

Anyway, hope you don't feel I'm preaching to you --- I'm talking to anyone in general who might have similar symptoms and want to understand why they are gaining weight...

If your surgeon is not doing the best possible job for you (and it is true that MANY surgeons in the States do not really understand, haven't yet learned, good band maintenance skills), then don't be shy about telling him what you want... Or, if he won't listen and respond appropriately, then find another band fill technician to consult.

To find out more about fill surgeons & techs near where you live, you can join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SmartBandsters/ and ask that question (and as many others as you like, of course), plus you can try going to http://groups.yahoo.com/ and search for lap band or bandsters and your state's name, for you might find a group. You can also try out WiseBandsters (which is ONLY for people who aren't newbies any longer).

Managing to live a successful banded life is NOT easy and does not come automatically. It is a PROCESS of learning, un-learning and re-learning, best supplemented by a great medical support team and a great support group of knowledgeable and caring people. SOME people are lucky enough to have all that, altogether, with the surgeon they choose, but this is more the exception still, than the rule. So much is so often left on our own shoulders --- for us to struggle to find our own way.

We often have people arrive back on the support list I belong to who lost for awhile, but then began re-gaining. It IS possible to get back on track... with intensive support and commitment to change --- and usually a fill or unfill.

added --- BTW, a way to find a new surgeon to handle your fills is to use this search database for the American Society for Bariatric Surgery http://www.asbs.org/html/about/membersearch2.html . Just enter your zip code and select "LB" from the drop down menu of choice.

Once you have your list, then search for those who ALSO list "FOLL" meaning that they will take on other doctor's patients. The listings are in order of distance from where you live, and includes full contact info, even web sites when available.

Theresa, you have given excellent, well-written advice and spent alot of time carefully writing well-thought out posts on this thread. Thank you.

I agree that Anthony is probably too tight and is using his band in the wrong way. There is head work that goes along with wieght loss no matter how you lose. Eating around the band because you are too tight doesn't cause weight loss, and living with comfortable restriction takes WORK. It's a fine balance and, fact is, banding isn't the answer for everyone.

That said, I don't think Anthony wants to be banded. He just wants his band out. I don't live with his discomfort though, so I'm not exactly in a position to judge whether or not it's a good idea for him. I'm thinking, if you hate your band, get it out! Quit whining, take it out. Be done with it. What's the saying? "Sh#t or get off the pot." Anthony wants off the pot. I'd hate to live the way he's been living with the gas, no burping, pain issues. And a total unfill doesn't take away the back pain, so maybe it is the band! His back pain is the issue. HIs weight journey, while related, is the hijacked issue here.

You have done excellent work, Theresa.

I wish you the best on your weight loss journey, Anthony. And I hope the band removal alleviates your back pain. Sounds as if it might. But Theresa is right, we need to know about it. Your info helps others. Would you please keep us updated on your decisions and results? Good luck!!