Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone experience back pain with the band?

I have experienced uper/mid back pain since the day after I got my band put in. It has been consistent, and is one of the main reasons why I am having it removed.

I would think "gallbladder", too - but there could be other reasons. Is the pain constant or periodic? What can you do that takes the edge off the pain?

Just because the pain started after the band doesn't mean it is related to the band. Time to see the doctor and ask him, "why does my back hurt?" Terrible to shell out thousands for surgery and still have the pain.

Gallbladder was removed in 11/03.

Pain persists regardless of fill levels. Pain is constant.

I've been to my surgeon, hius solution was vicodin. Then went to 2 back surgeons as well as one chiropractor, all 3 have diagnosed it as muscular spasm with an unknown cause. The solution. Exercises and stretches for 2 years, which haven't helped.

The spinal surgeons have suggested a longterm regimen of muscle relaxants and opiates, which help, but I'd prefer not to take these for any extended period.

Okay ... Next question that comes to mind. If this was present within 48-72 hours of surgery (as the major pain meds were being replaced by simple anti-inflammatories), then I would consider if the positioning during surgery, the movement back to your bed --- I would wonder if a strain was exerted upon a muscle group or something.

The surgery itself does exert a great deal of pressure and pulling on the diaphragm muscles --- and it DOES leave it very sore & tender... and irritable. But that muscle gets over the insult within a few days, so I'm still puzzling.

At this point, I would contact SEVERAL lap band surgeons who have long-term experience with banded patients (like especially in Europe, etc) and find out if they have ever had cases like yours --- for among scores of thousands of patients, one would have to assume that IF it is some sort of connected problem, that you are not the sole patient to have something of this sort.

Your best bet starting bet would seem to be an email to Inamed's patient contact person (contact me for an email address). Next, a medical school bariatric program. There might be one in your state or near you. A letter of inquiry, an offer to send medical records, a request that they search the relevant literature and less formal mentions.

One question I have for you ---- back pain is often caused by and/or aggravated by abdominal obesity paired with weakened muscle tone, and especially aggravated by even minimal degrees of lordosis. Wondering how much weight you have lost in the past 2 plus years since your banding and how much more active you have managed to become. My back pain did not begin until some period of time after I gained weight.

Have any of the doctors referred you to physical therapy to help strengthen your core muscles? Has your surgeon helped you achieve steady weight loss?

This was great for you to start this thread. It would be wonderful to help others as well as you sort thru back pain issues. Back pain is considered the MOST intractable and difficult pain issue to treat. I do feel for you.

Theresa

The pain started within the first week of surgery. One theory of mine involves the fact that I sleep mostly on my left side/stomach, where the port is, so I figure that I could be compensating for it by contorting mildly in my sleep.< /p>

Activity has not made a difference in the pain. Until I recently pulled my hamstring, I had impressed myself with my backpacking endeavors (16 miles in a day...an endeavor for me at least). The back surgeons that I have visited have tested my core strength and flexibility, nothing abnormal.

At this point I just want it out.

Hi Anthony --- I am IMPRESSED with your physical fitness!!!

But I can relate to your theory of your possibly "guarding" during your sleep. This is not far-fetched at all.

But this is what I might suggest as a first step before you invest $3,000 in having it removed.

First, there is always the possibility of having the port location changed to a midline position.... I love having mine there.... But if I were you, that wouldn't be my absolute first thought.

What I am going to suggest is your bed and aids to correct your sleeping position. I, too, sleep on side - consistently.

One, the mattress. It should be turned periodically AND FLIPPED (twice a year) to even out wear and to prevent structural damage inside causing poor support. If you have been heavy, such structural damage happens much more quickly.

Before you actually go out and replace a mattress (unless it is obviously sagging anyway), I would both flip & turn it, then add DOUBLE foam waffle pads (or the more expensive deep foam toppers). This will help even out your spine and take strain off supporting muscles.

Then, I would get two body pillows and fasten them together or pack them together into a common covering that would feel comfortable to draw close to you. When you go to bed, wrap your upper arm around the pillows (I happen to use a large stuffed animal, but that is me). This will help keep your spine from assuming a twisted spiral position.

Both have to be done together to work optimally.... But I would certainly be interested in knowing how you do.

This is just an aside --- When I am tense and stressed about things (like my mother's health recently), and can find myself waking with tight and sore muscles. Some people find a lot of benefit for being adequately treated for low-level chronic depression which can cause chronic muscle strain.

just had a light bulb go on for me ---- sometimes it is possible to train yourself to sleep on the opposite side, facing another direction... But it is often necessary to re-orient the bed, doing some redecorating so to speak, for we often want to be closest to (or furthest from) the door, the bathroom, the window or such ...

Before I plunked $3,000+ down for surgery, I'd give the mattress condition some thought --- and try the other things I have mentioned.

Heck, I'd even ask my doc for a month's prescription of 10mg Valium (great for muscle strain and for relaxation, too) and try it with my new sleeping conditions.

I am not trying to make you keep your band -- I'm trying to cure your chronic muscle strain. Mainly because I'm afraid that after all this time, the surgery might not do what you expect of it...

Could you have (Pulled a muscle,) in your lower back? before I had my gallbladder removed when I was having attack's for some reason Id get back pain up high tight chest?

What ever you do I hope you get it fixed! also before giving the band up check all your option's..... This many sound funny but try walking around and losen up your muscles. Good luck

My grandad had really bad mid back pain for years, doctors just couldnt diagnose anything concrete, but in the end it turned out to be a hiatus hernia.

I have intermittent side/upper back pain a month out still, well not really pain, more an irritating ache but I know it's nothing serious, I suffered with it after each of my pregnancies for about 3 months too. It seems to be when my abdominal muscles are put through trauma, they take a while to regain strength and I think I must collapse from that midpoint in my back, posturally.

Theresa, what wonderful advice/thoughts! Thank you very much for taking the time and giving all the detail. I'm sure you've helped many people today. :)

Anthony, I very much hop you can find some relief from you pain without having your band taken out. The distinct possibility exists that removal wouldn't alleviate the pain, and then you'd have weight gain to worry about too. If something had actually been damaged during band installation surgery, there's no reason to think that band removal will help. Only if the band is actually causing your pain in an ongoing way will removal help, and unless that can be definitely proven it seems a very expensive and drastic step to take.

Please keep us posted...

Hi Anthony,

You can read my story here...

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=12313&highlight=tizag

but the bottom line - I had the most horrible back pain for the 3 months prior to having my band removed. I had back x-rays and went to quite a few doctors....

The moment I had my band removed, the back pain was gone. I remember waking up from surgery, and thinking... "ahhhh, my back doesn't hurt". No question it was related. :)

Good luck.

SouthTX: As far as the mattress replacement and sleeping pad adjustements go, been there, done that.

As for the sleep meds and muslce relaxants, been there too.

Also, I only WISH I could find a surgeon in the US who would remove this thing for less than my quoted $6,500. On tuesday I will be calling as many surgeons as possible to get price quotes.