Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NEVER, NEVER AGAIN....

I just recently, within the last week, had my band removed and at the same time, had a gastric bypass done......The two doctors that I go to, and their practice is RANKED NUMBER ONE IN THE STATE, told me that only one or two IN TEN lose the desired weight after undergoing the lapband....I had it done a year ago and would never do it again....At the outset, and even months later, it is successful, but then there was a plateau where I slowly started to crave the foods that originally put it on....I read this a lot on here and it's true....I personally know of two women who had the 'band' done, lost about 70 percent of their weight goal, then put it ALLLLLLLLLLL back on within a year....And rem. that I WOULD ALWAYS EAT MY Protein FIRST, and follow the rules, but the band lost it's effect, plus I had the maximum fill.....If, according to my Dr's, only one or two in ten reach their goal, and this is based on their own practice, plus being in touch with other Dr's and studying follow-ups all over, that' s good enough for me....Caution to you, and DO NOT, in desperation, reach out for something that will not be there in the long run....But, you could be one of the 10-20 percent that is succesful....BUT I WOULD NEVER TAKE THOSE ODDS!......My best, Carlos.....YES!!---My insurance paid for both, but they required that I wait 6 months to get each procedure and follow strict guidelines.....ALL THAT GLITTERS IS NOT "GOLD!"

I hope all goes well for you.

My sister had gastric bypass and has lost an enormous amount of weight over the last 2 years but she has also gained a whole new set of medical problems associated with malabsorption. She has had to have a hip replacement and now needs the other one done and she is constantly tired from seriously low Iron, Protein and hemoglobin levels.

Give me my slow weight loss with the band any day. I may never reach my recommended BMI but after a loss of 26kg i feel fantastic with lots of extra energy. If i was on a diet i would regain that weight and some, so the combination of the band and the support from my medical team is keeping me on a reasonable track and hopefully the weight will continue to drop off and wont go back on and i have not had to trade off for other problems.

You'd be shocked to know what happens in the medical world for a buck! But that's another topic altogether...... :)

you wouldn't think a Dr. would even do the band surgery if it were so unsucessful. What you say may be true, I don't know but I think it all goes back to following the lap band rules. It's not just till you lose the weight, it is for the rest of your life, people tend to forget that. So, is the band unsuccessful or are the bandsters unsuccessful? Guess that depends on how you look at it. Good luck to you on your new journey.

I have been banded only 9 months and i have never had a problem with reflux, heartburn, pb or anything. I have lost MORE than 100% of my weight goal. I started at 262 and my doctor's goal was 169, my personal goal was 160 and I now weigh 155. If you want to fail keep doing what you have always done, if you want to succeed you need to change your head and your eating. Good Luck, I have only seen people fail after rny. The Band works.

Good for you! Your loss has been phenomenal! Congratulations!

I have been banded only 9 months and i have never had a problem with reflux, heartburn, pb or anything. I have lost MORE than 100% of my weight goal. I started at 262 and my doctor's goal was 169, my personal goal was 160 and I now weigh 155. If you want to fail keep doing what you have always done, if you want to succeed you need to change your head and your eating. Good Luck, I have only seen people fail after rny. The Band works.

Obviously I wasn't talking about posters like you. You haven't been on here as long as I have. I have seen MANY posters who put up with a lot of unhealthy side effects to get to that number on the scale. They do this at their own peril.

And as for the band working - it does for some and it doesn't for others. It doesn't work for me and I have followed all the rules.

Cleos mom, I am sorry the band hasn't worked for you. It's really hard to see that some people have issues with it. I have been really lucky and happy with it. I hope that whatever happens you find something that works for you. It seems like it is hit or miss with some of these surgeries, but there are also people that have it done but they are not doing their part of the work. But it sounds like you are and that would be frustrating. Good luck.

A few things jumped out at me from this thread...

It is not *all about* will power and self control. If it was, none of us would have needed the band. The band seems to work most effectively (usual caveat that there are exceptions) and successfully for people who have been successful dieters in the past, but put the weight back on due to hunger. At the sweet spot they get a feeling of satiety after a meal...something they didn't get no matter how much they ate in the past.

Unfortunately, there are quite a few people making the band control how much they eat and are getting their bands so tight they delay with daily episodes of getting stuck, sliming and throwing up the slime and stuck object. I'm with Cleo in that I think in years to come we're going to see far more medical issues related to the abuse of the esophagus that happens with these episodes.

The reason those of us who have problems come here and relay our problems is because potential banders...and other banders having problems...can see that it's not all rosey. There are potential problems/complications. When I first came to this forum, few people talked about the problems they were having and when they did, there was an immediate barrage of "The band does not fail...the person fails the band." As a result, anyone having difficulties was afraid to say anything...and gave me (and I'm sure others) a very skewed view of life after being banded.

To the OP...I hope the bypass works for you, but the reality is, the bypass and sleeve both have a honeymoon period where there is a greater loss initially than you get with the band. Ultimately, though, if you don't use self-control to choose the right foods and choose to put the fork down, you'll be one of the many who also fail at the bypass and not only put all their weight back on, but gain even more...but now you've made such drastic changes to your insides that you may have added a significant number of medical issues that will effect your quality of life. I hope that's not the case for you.

I wish you well.

A few things jumped out at me from this thread...

It is not *all about* will power and self control. If it was, none of us would have needed the band. The band seems to work most effectively (usual caveat that there are exceptions) and successfully for people who have been successful dieters in the past, but put the weight back on due to hunger. At the sweet spot they get a feeling of satiety after a meal...something they didn't get no matter how much they ate in the past.

Unfortunately, there are quite a few people making the band control how much they eat and are getting their bands so tight they delay with daily episodes of getting stuck, sliming and throwing up the slime and stuck object. I'm with Cleo in that I think in years to come we're going to see far more medical issues related to the abuse of the esophagus that happens with these episodes.

The reason those of us who have problems come here and relay our problems is because potential banders...and other banders having problems...can see that it's not all rosey. There are potential problems/complications. When I first came to this forum, few people talked about the problems they were having and when they did, there was an immediate barrage of "The band does not fail...the person fails the band." As a result, anyone having difficulties was afraid to say anything...and gave me (and I'm sure others) a very skewed view of life after being banded.

To the OP...I hope the bypass works for you, but the reality is, the bypass and sleeve both have a honeymoon period where there is a greater loss initially than you get with the band. Ultimately, though, if you don't use self-control to choose the right foods and choose to put the fork down, you'll be one of the many who also fail at the bypass and not only put all their weight back on, but gain even more...but now you've made such drastic changes to your insides that you may have added a significant number of medical issues that will effect your quality of life. I hope that's not the case for you.

I wish you well.

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME POST!! You really nailed it. I have always said that if the band did what it was supposed to and curbed my hunger - I would take care of the rest - eating small amounts, eating healthy, chewing, not drinking with meals and exercising. Well, I have done and continue to do all those things but the band NEVER curbed my hunger at any fill level so now I am unfilled and there is no difference in hunger. The only difference is that I don't get stuck. I can still get a pressure or uncomfortable feeling if I eat too fast but after everything I've been through it's just living with hunger.

And you're right - it shouldn't be about willpower because if it were - then we wouldn't need the surgery. I read so many smug posts that elude to that.

My husband died at age 56 of esophageal cancer after years of GERD that turned into Barett's esophagus that turned into cancer. And you don't survive esophageal cancer even if caught early (and he was getting yearly scopes so his was caught very early). So all this reflux, GERD, heartburn and vomiting that those who rely on a too tight band experience will someday have grave consequences.

I didn't realize that the band didn't always help control hunger. I hardly get hungry with mine, it's like when I took diet pills. I can't imagine I would have been able to lose this weight or keep it off using only willpower. I am sorry for those that aren't getting the full benefit of their band. I will count my blessings that I am one of the ones it works for. I thought if you just followed the rules it would always work. Sorry if I was sounding like a snob. I would be very frustrated and probably angry if I was promised something and it didn't work for me that way.

My top weight was 319 lbs. I weighed 292 lbs when I had my lap-band surgery on 5/19/09. This morning I weighed 166 lbs and I continue to lose...as long as I follow the rules. I don't always follow the rules, I have bad days and bad weeks. I believe that lap-band will work if YOU WORK IT. I eat right, move more, stay motivated. My goals is 150 lbs. I never thought I would be 16 lbs from goal. I wear a size 12 in some things...a 14 in others. I go roller skating with my daughter. I can eat all of the Doritios and ice-cream I want...but I CHOOSE not to. If I chose to eat the crap, I would not lose weight. Would that be the fault of the band? I don't think so. I wish there was some sort of brain surgery that would make me have a healthy relationship with food, but there isn't, so I suppose I must continue to fight the battle. I am determined to win the war. I feel better now than I have in YEARS...I wish everyone luck in their journey. I am so glad that I didn't listen to the people that were negative about lap-band before I had my surgery. If my surgery was a failure, it would have been my failure, not the bands.

My top weight was 319 lbs. I weighed 292 lbs when I had my lap-band surgery on 5/19/09. This morning I weighed 166 lbs and I continue to lose...as long as I follow the rules. I don't always follow the rules, I have bad days and bad weeks. I believe that lap-band will work if YOU WORK IT. I eat right, move more, stay motivated. My goals is 150 lbs. I never thought I would be 16 lbs from goal. I wear a size 12 in some things...a 14 in others. I go roller skating with my daughter. I can eat all of the Doritios and ice-cream I want...but I CHOOSE not to. If I chose to eat the crap, I would not lose weight. Would that be the fault of the band? I don't think so. I wish there was some sort of brain surgery that would make me have a healthy relationship with food, but there isn't, so I suppose I must continue to fight the battle. I am determined to win the war. I feel better now than I have in YEARS...I wish everyone luck in their journey. I am so glad that I didn't listen to the people that were negative about lap-band before I had my surgery. If my surgery was a failure, it would have been my failure, not the bands.

And the point of your post is??? That if your band worked for you it should work for everyone? We're all just turning cartwheels that yours was a textbook case of success but for you to assume that for those us for whom the band doesn't work didn't follow the rules is just not true. Have you not taken the time to read these posts?

Seriously, those of us who have problems with the band DESPITE FOLLOWING THE RULES don't need posts like this that just come across as smug. Post them on lapband success stories where they belong. They offer nothing to the dialogue here.

This is just plain scary for NOOBS like me to read. I am here to research, get honest info and hear good/bad stories. To be honest, it sounds like you started eating the bad foods (as you said, you began to crave). I know all WLS work differently on everyone. I know many people with varied WLS and most are doing well. One friend had her RNY 10 yrs ago and she is still thin as ever (she drinks socially and eats goodies but in small amounts). There are no 10 year studies in the US on Band (that I know of) but many people 5 years out are doing well. Some Bandsters don't even need it because they learned to eat and work out so that it is second nature. (Finger crossed, that will be me.)

I want to hear about complications - because knowledge is power, but to blast the band because it didn't work for you is a bit harsh.

Obviously I wasn't talking about posters like you. You haven't been on here as long as I have. I have seen MANY posters who put up with a lot of unhealthy side effects to get to that number on the scale. They do this at their own peril.

And as for the band working - it does for some and it doesn't for others. It doesn't work for me and I have followed all the rules.

I’m just curious if the band is not working for you than why are you still posting on this site? Is your purpose here to attack the band, encourage others to look for other options, of just vent. Don’t get me wrong I’m not attacking you, I’m just curious.

Just as the original poster had the right to give their opinion on the band, be it negative, anyone else has a right to post their opinion and story in response be it also negative or positive. If those sharing a positive view should post to the success board then perhaps there should be a failure board for those that want to bash or who it does not work for? If not...then any story shared in this thread is just as valid as any other!

I hate it when something works for someone and they think that means it has to work for everyone. Before the lapband, people would say to me "WeightWatchers works, and if it is not working for you the problem is you and not Weight Watchers." They would say that because it had worked for them. But no matter how hard I tried, it didn't work for me. So now to read people say "the band ALWAYS works for EVERYONE and if it doesn't work for you it is YOUR fault." I totally disagree.

The band worked for me--and I am very grateful to God for that. But I don't believe it works for everyone, any more than I believe Weight Watchers or ANY program works for EVERYONE.

My surgeon told me one of the ways the band works is that by having the food at the top of your stomach, it activates the nerves that send the full message to the brain. I think some people may have a flaw in these nerves and even with the band they don't send the message. I think some people have more sensitive nerves and others have less sensitive ones--that's why some people can hit their sweet spot with little to no fill and it takes others way more fill, and still others have nerves that are so de-sensitized that they never hit their sweet spot and thus the band doesn't work for them.

If you did everything you know that you were supposed to and the band did not help your hunger, then the band failed you--plain and simple. It's unfortunate but true. Just like some people can take a medical treatment and it cures their disease and another person can take the same treatment and it doesn't help them--that's how the band works. And just because you are one of the lucky ones it works for, don't try to make the others feel bad. Just be grateful that it worked for you!