Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach Virus + Band = NO FUN!

Well, my fear of getting the stomach virus with my band has become a reality. A reality that wasn't too much fun! I thought I would tell my experience for those newly banded.

The virus struck suddenly. One minute I was fine. The next minute, I was vomitting!

Let me say that the initial vomitting was not what I experienced with stomach viruses before being banded. For the first few hours, the vomitting was more dry heaves with some slobbery foam coming up. I contribute this to us bandsters not having much in our stomach at one time. After a few hours passed, the slobbery foam moved to liquidy stomach acid. I am assuming that was coming from the lower portion of my stomach.

Fortunately, my surgeon had given me a prescription of phenergan suppositories to keep for emergency situations. I used five of them before the vomitting stopped.

I called my surgeon's office the following day after the virus struck (why does this stuff always happen at night?!?!). His nurse told me to stay on Clear liquids for at least 24 hours and to continue with the suppositories if I felt the least bit nauseated.

She reminded me of the risk of slippage with vomitting. She said I would know if the band had slipped because I would not be able to hold down Water and would feel a pain in my chest and into my back. Fortunately, no slippage! I am not sure how I dodged it though because I was vomitting every 10-20 minutes for about 3 hours. Then, every hour for about 5 more hours!

Today, I have tried to eat some solid food, but it isn't going too well. The nurse told me my stomach will be inflamed around the band. So, I may have to stay on liquids or mushy foods for a few days. Just playing it by ear for now.

Youre lucky with your stomach virus. Ive had my band just over 3.5 years now and at 1.5 and 2.5 year marks (within 2 days of each other) I got a virus and my stomach swelled shut. I couldnt even swallow my own saliva, and the acid was deadly. I'm glad to hear you could cure it with a prescription, I had to get massive unfills both times.

Ugg...I feel your pain,I just got over a stomach virus myself, except I was physically unable to vomit. I had severe nausea, pain with belching, horrible burning like acid but not sure and I was not able (not that I wanted to) to eat. I ended up getting a big unfill, and liquids for almost a week. But thankfully, not vomitting, so no slip.

I'm glad to hear you made it through pretty good to. Boy its not fun!

Be Very Careful! Last year at around this time I had a terrible Stomach Virus. Of course it happened over a weekend when my doctors office was closed. I refused to go to the Emergency Room till Monday morning after I talked to the doctor. After 3 days of constant Vomiting I was admitted to ER for severe dehydration. After a Upper Gi I was informed my band had slipped from my stomach virus. Emergency surgery the next morning. They were able to Fix my Band. It was the worst feeling in the world. But I was so happy when I found out they didn't have to remove my Band! Be very careful with a stomach Virus. Drink as much fluids as possible and gatorade to prevent dehydration.

i didn't have the stomach flu but i had brochitis. my nose was draining into my stomach which was causing me to throw up. it was horrible!

i hope you feel better!

What a horrible experience! I am almost 1.5 years out and I havent had any stomach virus yet. If I know someone has it, I avoid them like the plague! I knew it would be bad and this is the first story ive actualy seen someone write in detail of how it played out. PLEASE,, I do not want to go through this at all. Very happy that you didnt have any slippage and didnt need any more surgery. Good luck to anyone going through it!

I just got over a stomach virus also. Mine was diarrhea, the worst case. It woke me up at 1:00 a.m. in the morning and did not stop until 5:00 p.m. the next afternoon. Everytime I laid down I had to jump up and run to the bathroom. I was so weak and my stomach was hurting so bad, I could not drink or eat anything. I guess my stomach was swollen around the band. It is three days later and I am still not eating or drinking the right amount of food. I am due for a fill on Tuesday, and have been hungry, so I guess it worked out well. I just wanted to say these viruses are not fun when you have the band. I was just so afraid I was going to start throwing up like my husband and daughter was doing. Glad everyone is feeling better.

OOOooohh... so that is what i had yesterday night.I had nothing to eat,nothing to drink and suddenly i got stuck :blink: . I started spitting saliva, my stomach hurting for an hour like hell and i vomited once white foam.I was cold all the time.Fortunately i put a towel soaked in alcohol above my stomach and i felt a little better.Yeah..that is no fun indeed.

During my consultation, I asked my Dr this exact question.: What should I do if I get stomach flu. I have a 22month old, and she brings home daycare plague during the winter. My dr said to call the office asap and have the band unfilled to help prevent slippage while vomiting from the flu. Great advice!!

question. I may have had a stomach virus last week, vomiting very violently and on friday i had what your doc described as signs of a slippage. sharp pain in my chest and back, lightheadedness, couldn't hold down anything, even water....i was starting to panic when all of a sudden it stopped. the pain was gone, the food and Water went down fine and i have had no problems ever since. could a slippage have corrected itself spontaneously?

OMG! I thought I was the only one who went through this. I thought I was literally going to die. I was in so much pain that instead of the dry heaving I opted to kinda tilt myself over so whatever was in the bottom half of my stomach would come up. I had it for about 2- 3 days... Completely MISERABLE!!!! Now I just have a lot pain in my shoulders and a nagging headache and a bit of pain when I breathe but I was able to keep down a shake so I don't think I have slipped (thank goodness) I don't wish that on anyone with a band. I caught mine from one of my kids too... guess being a good mommy has it's "rewards"... LOL

I actually had the same feeling and thought it could've slipped but then as I just didn't eat or drink and just rested like literally didn't move for 24 hrs just got up for bathroom it slowly got better. Now I just feel like I was in a bad fight and I'm really sore all over torso. Going to see the lapband doc soon. :( DON'T want to get unfilled... finally feel like I'm getting the hang of this.

Thank you for posting this. I've had this crud all weekend, and have been a nervous wreck because I've been so afraid that I was going to make my band slip. This gives me some peace of mind. Still calling my surgeon in the a.m. tho.

Hope you feel much better. I dread the day. Its been five and a half years and I'm a teacher and have 3 kids and I havent caught it yet, how lucky is that! Touch wood! I do seem to have a natural resistance to tummy bugs but then again, I do get any horrid snotty cold that's going and get really sick with them.

I have pb'd that's been more like vomiting before - acidy and yuck, simply due to having to heave repeatedly to get something up.

I think its wise just to keep anti nausea medication to hand. I've just finished 20 weeks of chemo with no vomiting, but i've got scripts with about six repeats of Zofran which is super duper effective so i just keep some of that to hand.