Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

here of of sheer frustration

Hi! I'm here after a google search of "lap band doesn't work." I was banded in August of 2007 in Western MA. The first few weeks after the surgery felt like pure hell. I never expected to feel so hungry after getting the band. I thought that it would be hard not eating anything solid but I never imagined the intense hunger. In the first few months I lost about 15 pounds. After that I slowly went down to almost a 30 lb weight loss. My hunger has never really disappeared, although a different times I would fill up more quickly.

Fast forward to today and my search that led me to this site. I haven't seen my doctor is almost a year. The last visit before today left me in tears because I had gained back about 15lbs and the dr. insisted I meet with the nutritionist. Today's visit was the worst. I have gained back all but 5 lbs since getting the band. My doctor was quite short with me and basically refused to do a fill. He has given me 2 wks to decide what I want to do. My choices are: remove the band, review my handbook and fully commit to the "lap band" diet, or discuss other surgery options. I feel like such a failure. This dr. was not the surgeon who initially did the band but his associate. He stated to me that he doesn't think I was a good candidate for the band because of my hectic life (i have 6 children, and work as a parent educator, also going for my degree). The doctor also told me that I probably couldn't make the time commitment needed to have the lap band work.

Gosh what a rant...sorry. Well that's my story as of today. I welcome and comments and/or suggestions. Thanks

Don't give up!! It sounds like you need a new doctor, one with a better attitude!

I agree, don't give up. Get a new doc, get a fill and be on your merry way. The great thing about a lap band is that when it is working at the sweet spot, it doesn't take "extra time". You eat what ever your kids are having, assuming you are feeding your kids healthful foods, just a tiny portion of it. Think like a three year old's portion. (a fussy one) Go out and play with them.

It's hard to find a surgeon with a heart sometimes. I got lucky the second time around, but the first surgeon I had was just a guy with no bed side manner. He didn't even see me after surgery. My first appointment after surgery was only with the nurse. If you are stuck with this guy because no one else is around, insist on getting a fill and don't take any of his crap. (sorry)

Good luck and be strong!

well, that certainly doesn't sound like a doctor who is looking out for your best interest! yes, he should be tough on you for not following the "rules" but he should be just as supportive. i mean, obviously YOU know you haven't been following the plan so why doesn't he HELP you instead of turning you away?

each and every one of us has a different lifestyle and i don't see why yours makes a difference towards you losing weight.

i'd either make an appointment to see your original surgeon or find someone else!

Remember, the LapBand is not a MAGIC POTION that instantly transforms you into being a skinny bitch. It's a TOOL to assist you in your weight loss. If you are not focused in the journey and are not giving it 100%, then of course you are not going to lose weight! I'm really surprised at how many people get frustrated with the hunger issue and the restriction issue.... the LapBand is a tool, not a cure! You have to work hard and it will work for you! Yes, you will be hungry at times- that's when you grab a Protein shake or some celery with Peanut Butter. Restriction? Well, it's not the ability to never be hungry again, it's the part where you've had enough to eat and you feel restriction cuz you just ate 1/2 a cup of food and feel content!!

Please, if you work with your lapband, it will work for you!!! Go get another doctor and get a fill. If it's been over a year since your last appt, it's about time for some adjustments!!

I think the Dr needs bitch slaped for one and a reality cheak for another... Not everyone has a million dollar job securtiy life... some poeple have no choice but to work and work hard, I agree some people are lazy and would think this is a easy way out.

It isn't, Its hard work and one of the hardest things some may have to go thru in life. If you feel you did your best then honestly thats all that matters, if you think you could have done better then well then there may be another way.. I got the weight loss surgery for dummies book... NO I have not gotn the procedure as of yet, this will happen in March. But it gives you another way.. The menu's for each step and things to help you along the way. Then I just found this site. So many poeple have been thru so much here and have great advice. I am scared.. yes because of the un-known but also because I feel I will be going thru this alone. I have a 15 year old daughter and a soon to be hubby... but I think that this may be the breaking point for him... the thought of maybe losing him scares me he is a junk food junky and a performer just starting out in life at 45.... so as a BIGGG ego..lol

But this is the last thing I promised my dad on his death bed and I feel this is right for me.. Hard and scary but right, I can't do this on my own. I will be here for anyone who just needs to talk or vent or is scared and unsure, just as mush as I am here for everyones joys.... I am soooo very sure I will need everyone just as much... My e-mail is mrputz1me@aol.com... just let me know who you are and I wont delete you..lol..B)

Your doctor sounds like an absolute jerk and obviously male. I would consider finding another dr. Yes you do need to commit and figure out how you can make healthy eating and excercise work in your hectic life style. Can you take walk with your children before or after dinner for 10 to 15 minutes even in the cold? I believe you can do anything you want when you make up your mind and are willing to put in the effort. I would never have the band taken out myself. But I tryly believe you can do this and all you have to do is read some of these entries to realize you can always start over. There are lots of people here who feel like they have failed but decided to get back up and try again. It's never over until YOU decide your done. The fact that you went back to the doctor says that you haven't given up so don't let some dumb doctors callous words take away your future. Good luck to you keep posting :)

Hi! I'm here after a google search of "lap band doesn't work." I was banded in August of 2007 in Western MA. The first few weeks after the surgery felt like pure hell. I never expected to feel so hungry after getting the band. I thought that it would be hard not eating anything solid but I never imagined the intense hunger. In the first few months I lost about 15 pounds. After that I slowly went down to almost a 30 lb weight loss. My hunger has never really disappeared, although a different times I would fill up more quickly.

Fast forward to today and my search that led me to this site. I haven't seen my doctor is almost a year. The last visit before today left me in tears because I had gained back about 15lbs and the dr. insisted I meet with the nutritionist. Today's visit was the worst. I have gained back all but 5 lbs since getting the band. My doctor was quite short with me and basically refused to do a fill. He has given me 2 wks to decide what I want to do. My choices are: remove the band, review my handbook and fully commit to the "lap band" diet, or discuss other surgery options. I feel like such a failure. This dr. was not the surgeon who initially did the band but his associate. He stated to me that he doesn't think I was a good candidate for the band because of my hectic life (i have 6 children, and work as a parent educator, also going for my degree). The doctor also told me that I probably couldn't make the time commitment needed to have the lap band work.

Gosh what a rant...sorry. Well that's my story as of today. I welcome and comments and/or suggestions. Thanks

Were you able to meet with the nutritionist? Does your doctor have a lap band support group? Your life style sounds very hectic. You need to find time to organize your kids meals and your own. your doctor needs to give you some guidance not nagging and threatening.

Here's my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

It is none of the doc's business what your life is like. It is not his choice how many children you have or how busy you are. Many mothers find ways to make life work and it is something he will never understand or even needs to understand. I think you need to go back to him and put your foot down about that.

From my own experience, there is no way I could put back all my weight when I have proper restriction. Bottom line is you need a fill. I don't take any extra time out of my day to make this band work properly. I don't write down anything. I don't count or track anything. I keep a few simple "rules" in mind and go on about my day. The key is that I have proper restriction.

Please go back in for a fill and set the doc straight about what his place is and what yours is or find a new doc that will give you a fill and give you proper support.

I also think it is a good idea to keep returning here to LBT for info and support. Even if you just do some reading of what other bandsters post.

First of all I am not being banded till this Friday so I am not saying any of this through experience but my doctors office has extensive Pre Op classes that are a requirement before you surgery day and I just finished my last one.

I read your posts and everyone's reply then I had to go pick up my daughter from tutoring so I had time to think over your whole situation. Basically you were banded 3 1/2 yrs. ago and it sounds like you did well in the beginning but then got off track. I agree with what others have said.... the lap band is not a quick fix. You do have to continue to diet afterwards for it to do its job, which is not letting you eat such large portions. Which works great as long as what you are eating is the "correct" kind of foods. So obviously you got thrown off track.... WHO DOESN'T.... but the doctors job is not to quit on you but to work with you and get you back on track....have they explained that the fills don't last, the Fluid in the band lessens over time, so if you are waiting too long in between fills then you won't feel restriction. So keeping up with consistent fills is important on your part. Maybe he put it to you the way he did to try to kick you in gear, do I agree with his tactics NOT IN THE LEAST so now its up to you to show him you mean business.... look at it as a new beginning. Go to the Nutritionist and ask her to educate you as if you are a new patient. Then try to apply them to see if you can lose some weight. Either way I would go back to that doctor and tell him you are not getting the band removed and instead of bullying you that you need his support. If he is still an @$$ then move on to a different doctor. But just keep in mind he can't do this for you only you can do it for you and it is going to take some commitment on your part. Here are some things that we were told to to follow....

Protein is the key to losing weight.....without the proper amnt. of Protein in your daily diet you will have less success in losing.

- Even when eating solid food always eat all of your protein first. Eat approximately 4 oz. a meal (measure after you cook the meat)Keep track of how much protein you are eating in a day.... if you fall short of the recommended amnt. then drink a Protein shake to make up the deficit. In my case I am 5'4" so I should have at least 65-80 grams of protein a day.

- This one is interesting, you can drink as much as you want up until your first bite of the meal then there is no liquid during the meal or for an hour after wards since it will flush the food out of your pouch and you will become hungry sooner than you need to be. This one is going to be tough for me but it makes sense so I will make do... if anything I will swish Water in my mouth and then spit it out.. can't stand having a dry mouth...

Maybe what you need is just more education on how to make the band "work" for you....but whatever you do don't give up....

How does the Fluid lessen over time (re: fills?) It's a closed system.

As I understand it, the Fluid does not lessen over time. You are correct, it's a closed system. The only way it would lessen is if there is a leak. The band can loosen over time as you lose weight. They include some fat between the band and the stomach tissue to prevent erosion. If you shrink that fat, the band will get loose and you may need another fill.

I need to do a retraction on my previous post... I had read on here in another post that it eventually lessens over time and unfortunately passed on that info w/out checking it out for myself. After reading what seems like 100's of articles I can't find anything pertaining to it decreasing over time. To be sure I am going to call my doctors office tomorrow and discuss it with them if its a possibility, especially if you wait a year between check ups ..... Sry , I should have checked out the info for myself before I posted....

Here's my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

It is none of the doc's business what your life is like. It is not his choice how many children you have or how busy you are. Many mothers find ways to make life work and it is something he will never understand or even needs to understand. I think you need to go back to him and put your foot down about that.

From my own experience, there is no way I could put back all my weight when I have proper restriction. Bottom line is you need a fill. I don't take any extra time out of my day to make this band work properly. I don't write down anything. I don't count or track anything. I keep a few simple "rules" in mind and go on about my day. The key is that I have proper restriction.

Please go back in for a fill and set the doc straight about what his place is and what yours is or find a new doc that will give you a fill and give you proper support.

I'm just wondering what youre simple rules are that have helped you lose 100lbs. I also am busy, don't have time to track or write everything down, and I'm having a hard time getting enough Protein. I had the surgery on November 16th and am down 42lbs, which doesn't seem like much to me compared to others who I know. I'm starting to see the difference in my appearance and I have more energy but I still struggle.

When was your surgery? Do you exercise?