Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Putting it all out there...

In another topic string, I found this comment and it sparked my desire to create my own post in response. Thanks for listening :)

<br />I am 12 days post-op and am supposed to be on full liquids for another 2 days then mushies for 2 weeks. I feel great! Barely any pain at the incision so started a trial and error about 3 days ago. Unfortunatly, I can stomach just about everything I have tried. chicken, potatoes, pizza, broccoli, apples ect. I already know I have NO restriction and now I'm just disappointed. :-(<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi Frenchie! I can't tell you how grateful I am to hear someone else speak honestly about the "trial and error" that you've been experimenting with. That's sort-of where I'm at. I was banded 12 days ago, too. I followed the liquids, and then purees after surgery. I realized that I was feeling TERRIBLE after the first 5 days or so. I started adding in more substantial food (mashed potatoes, chunkier Soup, etc) and noticed I was feeling MUCH better. (I think the pain meds I was on were too strong to be taken on a stomach filled with Jello only... I was given liquid Percocet because of the pain I was having after surgery). Since then, I've slowly been trying all sorts of other things in small amounts. I chew everything to a pulp before swallowing, which basically makes it a "mushy." Don't get me wrong... I'm not going out and eating a whole Port of Subs sandwich (which I would literally kill for right now, lol). Even for me that's crazy, and pushing it waaaay to far, I know that. But with all the small amounts of things I've tried, I've had NO restriction. I have encountered NO esophageal pain, NO vomiting, NO reflux... no signs of anything going awry. I've even tried toast (OH MY GOD, I'm crazy, I know! Lol), and had no issues. (Granted, it was chewed to liquid before I swallowed it. But still.) I'm just glad to hear that someone else has done the same, and is actually willing to admit it in this forum. Every time someone mentions eating a bit of anything remotely solid, it seems like they are crucified. I didn't even want to ask questions or talk about things that I've been feeling so alone about, for fear of people tearing me apart. And that makes me sad that I feel like we have to audit our honesty sometimes, because we're not 100% perfect all the time. I didn't have this surgery because I have tremendous willpower where food is concerned, and I don't think I'm alone in that. We're all human, and we had the surgery to make positive, healthy changes in our lives. That being said, I am NOT sabotaging my surgery. I'm not out gobbling down fast food, or drinking frapuccinos. And it's not something I'm trying to hide... I plan on discussing my diet with my doctor tomorrow at my post-op appointment. I'm just feeling everything out and discovering what's okay for me (and not) as I go. Personally, I've had no issues at all with soft foods, and because of that, I've been comfortable with cutting a few days out from the purees to move on to the next level. I've just felt so alone, and scared to come here with my feelings because I don't want to be judged or yelled at or lectured. I'm really just looking for other people who have had similar experiences to talk to. Am I alone here, too?

(Sorry to ramble... I've been holding all this in for days, searching the archives for posts that might relate, but having trouble finding them. I finally broke down and am taking my chances with posting, hoping for the best. Hope this wasn’t too defensive, too… Isn’t that bad that no one has even responded and I’m already on the defense? **sigh**)

I'm glad you posted this and were completely honest. I have read some harsh comments about topics like this and it has always left me sad since I know how important it is to have this support! I am almost a month post op now and finding it very difficult to stay on the soft food diet since I feel starving and no restriction. I eat and then an hour later I'm hungry again. Not a day goes by where I don't think "Why don't I try ___-(insert favorite foods) and see how it goes?" I am more afraid that I will find that I CAN eat anything and will not be able to stop!!! So I'm not in the same situation exactly but I get where you are coming from. I hope you get some support from this site and feel comforted that others know how you feel. Best of luck!

Healthy Mom -

I'm actually getting all teary-eyed at my desk at work after reading that. Thank you. I need so much right now to have supportive, understanding people to turn to with my questions, concerns, fears, excitement. (I'm so ridiculously emotional right now, lol, and fighting with my hubby last night doesn't help). I truly appreciate your comment. :)

From what I have read and what my surgeon told me some people do not feel restriction until they have had a few fills, while some don't need any fills. Not everyone fills restriction right away. But no restriction does not mean don't follow the diet. It's mind over matter. Try not looking so much for restriction and try to follow the diet and exercise a little more. You will get to you sweet spot soon enough.

Ps: If you find that you have fallen off the wagon get back up and try try again. Good Luck!

Please remember, the first 30 or so day post surgery are about healing, and learning your band, and learning a new lifestyle in how to eat your food (no drinking, small bites, Protein first). There is really no Fluid in the band when you first have it placed, except a small amount of priming fluid they place to make sure there are no leaks before they close up (of course this may be different from one doctor to another). I personally did not fill restriction until my third fill, but I had to teach myself before I got that that just because I could eat anything, I knew it wouldn't last and I used that time to learn how to eat all over again. Now that I am at restriction and took the time to learn how to eat, I find that I do not have as many "stuck" episodes or PBing that I hear a lot of others having. Just remember, the band is a tool, and with this surgery it is not a race by any means, take it slow, enjoy the scenery, and one day the weight loss will sneak up on you and you will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm almost 3 weeks post op and I'm noticing that there are very different guidelines based on who you have your surgery with both for pre and post op. At one point, I got so hungry that I actually put the supper that I made for my family (butternut squash ravioli from Costco) into the blender so I could have some too. I really think it's a lot more about the consistency than the food item itself. So if you are chewing everything to a pulp, I really don't see why it wouldn't go down. I haven't tried any thing too solid yet but I'm pretty sure that when I do it will go down fine because I'm not really feeling any restriction at all. I think my first fill is scheduled for Feb 8th and I'm hoping to get some restriction then. Right now I'm only getting by on willpower but that won't last forever. I hope you don't feel too badly about your trial and error. This in between time is really hard.

*cue Michael Jackson song* You are not alone!!!

I started all the phases of my post-op diet early. I was just so hungry! But like you, I ate slow, small bites, small sips, etc. We just have to figure out what works for us. I don't spend much time on a liquid diet after fills either, just FYI. liquid for a day, then back to what I want within reason...I am just trying to be reasonable about everything I do. I ate Cookies over the holidays, but a few, not the old 5 at a time. I haven't had pizza or any other fast food since surgery, except chicken strips from Chik-Fil-A.

The fills will help, but you are already on the right track by being honest with yourself and your doc, and being sensible with what you eat.

My doc did not have a problem with my experimenting - as long as I didn't go crazy. Remember, there are sutures holding your band in place, so you need time to heal, so go easy and go mushy. Once you have restriction, you will need to experiment all over again, because what the band will allow changes over time and with fills.

Don't beat yourself up and don't expect to lose too much before you start getting fills, though during this time, you should be trying to learn good new eating habits - they'll come in handy soon!

Omg Thank god I'm not alone !!! I was banded on 1/11

And if I never see another Soup or Protein shake again

I will be just fine lol I too have been introducing soft

Foods I don't over do it and I don't eat junk and I can also

Say that when I did I started to feel better my incisions

Healed well etc full liquids for 3 wks was nuts for me

Thankfully I have only gotten stuck with of all things my

Allergy meds. You know your body and I was craving texture and

Protein that tells me I wasn't getting enough. Please don't misunderstand

I am still following a diet just introducing soft foods earlier

Than most. And I still only eat very small amounts. You are so right about the

Board but it's refreshing to see someone else being honest I mean

It's not like we are heading to drive thrus getting big macs etc!

Thanks for being brave and not making us feel alone!

Bless you!! Good luck to us all on our new journey

e name='MrsHumphreys' timestamp='1295896013' post='1565965']

In another topic string, I found this comment and it sparked my desire to create my own post in response. Thanks for listening :)

<br /><br /><br />

Hi Frenchie! I can't tell you how grateful I am to hear someone else speak honestly about the "trial and error" that you've been experimenting with. That's sort-of where I'm at. I was banded 12 days ago, too. I followed the liquids, and then purees after surgery. I realized that I was feeling TERRIBLE after the first 5 days or so. I started adding in more substantial food (mashed potatoes, chunkier soup, etc) and noticed I was feeling MUCH better. (I think the pain meds I was on were too strong to be taken on a stomach filled with Jello only... I was given liquid Percocet because of the pain I was having after surgery). Since then, I've slowly been trying all sorts of other things in small amounts. I chew everything to a pulp before swallowing, which basically makes it a "mushy." Don't get me wrong... I'm not going out and eating a whole Port of Subs sandwich (which I would literally kill for right now, lol). Even for me that's crazy, and pushing it waaaay to far, I know that. But with all the small amounts of things I've tried, I've had NO restriction. I have encountered NO esophageal pain, NO vomiting, NO reflux... no signs of anything going awry. I've even tried toast (OH MY GOD, I'm crazy, I know! Lol), and had no issues. (Granted, it was chewed to liquid before I swallowed it. But still.) I'm just glad to hear that someone else has done the same, and is actually willing to admit it in this forum. Every time someone mentions eating a bit of anything remotely solid, it seems like they are crucified. I didn't even want to ask questions or talk about things that I've been feeling so alone about, for fear of people tearing me apart. And that makes me sad that I feel like we have to audit our honesty sometimes, because we're not 100% perfect all the time. I didn't have this surgery because I have tremendous willpower where food is concerned, and I don't think I'm alone in that. We're all human, and we had the surgery to make positive, healthy changes in our lives. That being said, I am NOT sabotaging my surgery. I'm not out gobbling down fast food, or drinking frapuccinos. And it's not something I'm trying to hide... I plan on discussing my diet with my doctor tomorrow at my post-op appointment. I'm just feeling everything out and discovering what's okay for me (and not) as I go. Personally, I've had no issues at all with soft foods, and because of that, I've been comfortable with cutting a few days out from the purees to move on to the next level. I've just felt so alone, and scared to come here with my feelings because I don't want to be judged or yelled at or lectured. I'm really just looking for other people who have had similar experiences to talk to. Am I alone here, too?

(Sorry to ramble... I've been holding all this in for days, searching the archives for posts that might relate, but having trouble finding them. I finally broke down and am taking my chances with posting, hoping for the best. Hope this wasn’t too defensive, too… Isn’t that bad that no one has even responded and I’m already on the defense? **sigh**)

IMHO, You shouldn't have to censor your questions in fear of being flamed on the forum...I, too, have read a lot of the posts that have gotten a bit heated lately and I will say that there is a BIG difference between moving from mushies to solid food a few days early and going out a few days post op and eating a Big Mac. I would be willing to bet that there are many people on here who moved from one stage to the next a few days early (me included ;) ).

I agree with the posts saying that this is the time for you to heal and to figure out how to make the band work best for you. Since I was banded I have tried different calorie levels to see how many calories I need to eat in order to lose weight (I don't lose at anything less than 950 calories). That said, I will also say that I am one of the lucky ones who has felt some sort of restriction from the beginning but I am finding that I don't feel full in the same way I felt before - I weigh and measure everything I eat, put it on my plate and eat that and only that until it is time for my next meal/snack and I journal everything I eat. I never feel full, but rather satisfied and I normally don't feel hungry until time to eat again. If I do feel hungry then I have a small high Protein snack. I know that some people eat 3 meals a day and that's it...some days I do too but other days I find that I need a mid morning and mid afternoon snack.

The point is, everyone is different and has a different experience with the band. Don't beat yourself up about it, just take this time and figure out how to make it work for you...

Good luck - I'm sure you will do great!!!:)

txsnow -

Isn't it funny to feel so relieved? With each new response to my topic, I am feeling renewed. I have truly relied on this site for support for weeks before my surgery, and especially now.

Thank you all for your support and non-judgemental encouragement! :)

IMHO, You shouldn't have to censor your questions in fear of being flamed on the forum...I, too, have read a lot of the posts that have gotten a bit heated lately and I will say that there is a BIG difference between moving from mushies to solid food a few days early and going out a few days post op and eating a Big Mac. I would be willing to bet that there are many people on here who moved from one stage to the next a few days early (me included ;) ).

I agree with the posts saying that this is the time for you to heal and to figure out how to make the band work best for you. Since I was banded I have tried different calorie levels to see how many calories I need to eat in order to lose weight (I don't lose at anything less than 950 calories). That said, I will also say that I am one of the lucky ones who has felt some sort of restriction from the beginning but I am finding that I don't feel full in the same way I felt before - I weigh and measure everything I eat, put it on my plate and eat that and only that until it is time for my next meal/snack and I journal everything I eat. I never feel full, but rather satisfied and I normally don't feel hungry until time to eat again. If I do feel hungry then I have a small high Protein snack. I know that some people eat 3 meals a day and that's it...some days I do too but other days I find that I need a mid morning and mid afternoon snack.

The point is, everyone is different and has a different experience with the band. Don't beat yourself up about it, just take this time and figure out how to make it work for you...

Good luck - I'm sure you will do great!!!:)

What a great and honest discussion. I too was banded on 12/02/2010 and have had good and bad moments.. I think we need to remember that our band is a tool. The majority of this battle is psychological. The hardiest thing for me is watching other people eat to their hearts content. The good news is that my husband is now on the pre-diet and will be banded soon. Writing down everything you eat is another great tool. I think if we eat small bites, chew thoroughly and eat slowly, we can basically eat what we want.:rolleyes:

<br /><br /><br />

Hi Frenchie! I can't tell you how grateful I am to hear someone else speak honestly about the "trial and error" that you've been experimenting with. That's sort-of where I'm at. I was banded 12 days ago, too. I followed the liquids, and then purees after surgery. I realized that I was feeling TERRIBLE after the first 5 days or so. I started adding in more substantial food (mashed potatoes, chunkier Soup, etc) and noticed I was feeling MUCH better. (I think the pain meds I was on were too strong to be taken on a stomach filled with Jello only... I was given liquid Percocet because of the pain I was having after surgery). Since then, I've slowly been trying all sorts of other things in small amounts. I chew everything to a pulp before swallowing, which basically makes it a "mushy." Don't get me wrong... I'm not going out and eating a whole Port of Subs sandwich (which I would literally kill for right now, lol). Even for me that's crazy, and pushing it waaaay to far, I know that. But with all the small amounts of things I've tried, I've had NO restriction. I have encountered NO esophageal pain, NO vomiting, NO reflux... no signs of anything going awry. I've even tried toast (OH MY GOD, I'm crazy, I know! Lol), and had no issues. (Granted, it was chewed to liquid before I swallowed it. But still.) I'm just glad to hear that someone else has done the same, and is actually willing to admit it in this forum. Every time someone mentions eating a bit of anything remotely solid, it seems like they are crucified. I didn't even want to ask questions or talk about things that I've been feeling so alone about, for fear of people tearing me apart. And that makes me sad that I feel like we have to audit our honesty sometimes, because we're not 100% perfect all the time. I didn't have this surgery because I have tremendous willpower where food is concerned, and I don't think I'm alone in that. We're all human, and we had the surgery to make positive, healthy changes in our lives. That being said, I am NOT sabotaging my surgery. I'm not out gobbling down fast food, or drinking frapuccinos. And it's not something I'm trying to hide... I plan on discussing my diet with my doctor tomorrow at my post-op appointment. I'm just feeling everything out and discovering what's okay for me (and not) as I go. Personally, I've had no issues at all with soft foods, and because of that, I've been comfortable with cutting a few days out from the purees to move on to the next level. I've just felt so alone, and scared to come here with my feelings because I don't want to be judged or yelled at or lectured. I'm really just looking for other people who have had similar experiences to talk to. Am I alone here, too?

(Sorry to ramble... I've been holding all this in for days, searching the archives for posts that might relate, but having trouble finding them. I finally broke down and am taking my chances with posting, hoping for the best. Hope this wasn't too defensive, too… Isn't that bad that no one has even responded and I'm already on the defense? **sigh**)

MrsHumphrey's I didnt read the whole thread and have just been lurking around on the boards... but I wanted to say that I to have been feeling kinda how you just described. I am almost 2 weeks post op... I was a bit gaseous earlier but its getting better. I have been kinda tasting here and there... but being very very very cautious.. I mean its a nibble here and there... I had my post op appt yesterday and my doc was very happy with where i am at... Dont worry!!! Everyone is different and we all handle things different. I wish you the best on your journey!!

I'm in the same boat...I've tried some soft/easily chewed "normal" food twice now and have felt SO MUCH BETTER! I'm trying not to make a habit of it, but it's so frustrating trying to tell yourself to eat like you have a fill when your stomach restriction wise isn't much different than it was presurgery! I have noticed, however, that I definitely can't eat as much and when I eat something filling I get a bulge under my port. I thought I had a hernia the first time it happened but went away; guess that was my full pouch? IDK. Anyway, thanks for the confessional guys; we're not perfect but we're trying!

Well I am 19 days into it and I am right there with you. The first week I felt restricted but now I can eat pretty much anything. I haven't try a lot of stuff for fear of all the stuff that could happen. It don't take much to feel full but like I said I tried more than one thing at a time and haven't had any problems. Now that I've said that I'm sure something will happen :rolleyes:

I kind of wish it would make me feel miserable that way I'll think twice before I eat something. My biggest fear is am I stretching my band that's what scares me. My husband was banded also so it has helped that we are doing this together.

Good luck to you all "WE CAN DO THIS" as my 11 yr old son would say

"YOU GOT TO WANT IT" oh boy do I ever!! Looking forward to the skinner, healthier me :D