Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction- What Do You Mean?

it seems like everyone is searching for the magic land of "restriction", but I'm beginning to realize that we may have very different ideas of what that means. I'm curious about what restriction or sweet spot, as terms, mean to you and how you use your band.

For me, my band is working when it makes me feel full after small amounts of food and then stay full for several hours. When I say full, I mean "not hungry for another bite, even if my mental hunger tells me I still want to eat because it tastes good".

For me, my band does not in any way restrict WHAT I can eat, just how much. I don't get stuck, I've never PB'ed or slimed, and I absolutely never want to. If I want a piece of pizza, I eat a piece of pizza (A Piece, at less than 200 calories for the meal) and the beauty is that I feel completely full after that one single piece. I don't usually eat bread or Pasta, but that is a choice, not a band-forced restriction. For me, I like it that way. I don't want pain and discomfort for the rest of my life to keep me thin-- I just want to eat like a normal person in normal amounts.

What about you? I don't think everyone's bands work for them in the same way and I think new bandsters who are searching for the spot might be helped by understanding the different ways the band could work for an individual.

Well for me what you posted is fabulous news. That is what I thought the band was supposed to do, what you are describing. Maybe I'm not understanding other posts, but it seems that others state they have to force themselves to put the fork down and it's a choice to stop eating. That was discouraging for me because I thought the band genuinely made you feel full, not just satisfied, and not gorged either, but full so you don't want more. Thanks for posting!

I guess its the same for me. I can eat what I want minus bread because it just doesnt go me at all. I just stop when I feel it is a portion. I dont do any of those aweful things either. Some things dont go down well and I avoid them but basically I can eat what I want I just dont eat a lot anymore. I wouldnt say they are should be looking for restriction because there is a hole still there and a bottom stomach that still works and food no matter how tight your band is still goes through that hole it just might take longer. Im happy with three meals a day and no Snacks thats my choice. But I eat when Im hungry and that means stomach growling not just feeling empty.

So girls, I just ate some tuna/egg salad and 1/2 a hardboiled egg and am full. I didn't measure but it was in a desert size saucer bowl, not a a full cup I'm sure. This is what I would expect to fill me, or less, with the band. Would you say this is accurate?

I guess its the same for me. I can eat what I want minus bread because it just doesnt go me at all. I just stop when I feel it is a portion. I dont do any of those aweful things either. Some things dont go down well and I avoid them but basically I can eat what I want I just dont eat a lot anymore. I wouldnt say they are should be looking for restriction because there is a hole still there and a bottom stomach that still works and food no matter how tight your band is still goes through that hole it just might take longer. Im happy with three meals a day and no Snacks thats my choice. But I eat when Im hungry and that means stomach growling not just feeling empty.

I agree with you stateofzen. I have not had a fill yet, but I do not want to be one of those people who can't even eat Breakfast the band is so tight.

That sounds about right stateofzen. I think people are wishing it would stop them physically from eating, and they would feel stuffed with a small amount of food. But they will never get that feeling. It's all up to me what I put in my mouth and how much. For me, the band stops me from being hungry so my mind doesn't want to eat all the time like on a regular diet.

The band for me so far has helped me look at food calories, carbs, protien etc.. I now know that what a serving is. I never use to look or even care how much i ate. No2 i prepare a serving of something eat it and i am full. You are right about stopping yourself from eating. You can eat around the band and cheat it. But why? The entire point of the band is to aide us in loseing weight. I think its just as much of a mental thing as a physical thing. We have a candy dish that i use to hit everynight when i was doing dish's now i just look at it still full and smile. I could eat a piece but im happy with my 3 lbs lose a week and don't want a piece of candy turing into 3 lbs gained.! I eat until im content not stuffed! and i am makeing better healther choices. Telling yall its a metal game too :)

After reading so many posts where people think restriction means the band should physically limit how much they eat, it is so refreshing to read these posts.

I wish doctors would quit using the word 'restriction' because it implies the wrong thing and so people, in an attempt to get that physical restriction (raising hand), end up being overfilled and the sign of an overfill is sliming and getting stuck.

I can also eat whatever I want. I can also eat as much as I did pre-surgery *but* with the band controlling the hunger, I can eat my 3 oz of Protein, 1/2 cup of vegies and 1/4 cup of starch (maybe) and be hunger free for 4 hours. Which means I can pass that McDonald's, vending machine or bakery without stopping.

Okay, I probably need to let go of my current "I'm not restricted" state of mentality. I've had 2 fills and have expected some sort of different sensation that will make me eat less. After reading all the above posts, I realize that I have been feeling several things that may be the definition of "restriction":

I am having to eat more slowly or I will feel instant pressure.

I avoid a very small number of foods (pasta and most bread) because they are hard to chew up and lead to the aforementioned pressure. I haven't been "stuck" yet, because the pressure is enough to make me stop what I'm doing.

I am eating very much less than pre-Band. Last night's dinner was half a piece of salmon, probably 2-3 oz., 2 asparagus, and 1 baby potato. Note to self, MUST also chew potatoes well, or they will go on the no-no list!

Another important thing I've learned, and maybe I just need to start telling myself this everyday, is that Cookies can be chewed up and go right over the speed bump, no problem. Solid Proteins take longer to chew, and stick around for a lot longer, thus keeping you full for a LOT longer. So do I want 2 Cookies RIGHT NOW, or will I choose a Protein and not feel hungry for a while? It's a daily battle.

I have just had my 2nd fill and I do have a little of what most people would call restriction if I eat too much. I am not hungry between meals, which is great, although still battling head hunger and I am adjusting to the portion sizes. I am eating more slowly to recognise the full point before I become uncomfortable and changing my mindset so I don't feel the need to clear my plate just because it tastes good!!! I think I may be a little swollen after my fill but its great that I can eat pretty much what I want in smaller portions and find it easier to make healthier choices with the band. I am very happy with my weight loss which I would describe as steady.

Yea it's a lot of head hunger, I just had a big fill, and even before it, I'm never hungry, it's all mental, and I want food, I'm used to looking for food everywhere I would go, it's hard to stop that. And like said above, I eat pretty much whatever. I keep it within reason, but I really don't feel deprived at all

oh my gosh, I feel so stupid. you make so much sense to me when I read about how you define restriction. I was honestly waiting for a real restrictive feeling. I have been full with less food then before the band and without any feeling of any kind. I too wish the doctors would explain this better to us. I have been so disappointed with my band and felt as if I may be one that it doesnt work for. thank you so much for putting it in a more unstandable form. I now can move on with a more healthy life.

it seems like everyone is searching for the magic land of "restriction", but I'm beginning to realize that we may have very different ideas of what that means. I'm curious about what restriction or sweet spot, as terms, mean to you and how you use your band.

For me, my band is working when it makes me feel full after small amounts of food and then stay full for several hours. When I say full, I mean "not hungry for another bite, even if my mental hunger tells me I still want to eat because it tastes good".

For me, my band does not in any way restrict WHAT I can eat, just how much. I don't get stuck, I've never PB'ed or slimed, and I absolutely never want to. If I want a piece of pizza, I eat a piece of pizza (A Piece, at less than 200 calories for the meal) and the beauty is that I feel completely full after that one single piece. I don't usually eat bread or Pasta, but that is a choice, not a band-forced restriction. For me, I like it that way. I don't want pain and discomfort for the rest of my life to keep me thin-- I just want to eat like a normal person in normal amounts.

What about you? I don't think everyone's bands work for them in the same way and I think new bandsters who are searching for the spot might be helped by understanding the different ways the band could work for an individual.

It works both ways for me. The band does restrict the amount of food I can eat. The band also makes it so I can not eat some types of foods. The band has also made food not as appealing as it used to be, so in that sense it takes away head hunger too.

I asked my doc yesterday when I got my fill and he said it'll make you fuller longer, so you won't feel the need to eat as much. I got 5.5ccs put in yesterday and I just ate my first meal tonight and I definitely feel fuller, and it's lasting longer (I had dinner about 2 hours ago and I still can physically feel the fullness) but I don't feel like I ate any less that I was before. .

Oh and I agree, I don't crave crap anymore, it's so weird

I am so glad to read these posts!! I, too, can eat just about anything I want. I've been pretending that I cannot eat very much but I've learned that a little bit of food lasts me a long time!

I am happy with that.

My doctor always asks me if I have "restriction". The first time I answered that the only difference I felt was that I no longer wake up in the morning hungry. He said that did not answer his question...

I realized I had no idea what restriction actually is.

But after reading these posts, I think we are on the right track. I do not want the kind of restriction where food barely makes it through or where I struggle to have a small meal.

I know people who tell our doctor they have no restriction so he will give them a larger fill...and then they can only eat a tablespoon's worth of food. (but they don't tell the doctor that because he would not approve of that level of restriction ---they just want to lose weight fast).

Thank you everyone for writing what restriction is for you!!! I can't tell yo how happy and relieved I am to hear this!

~hiddn