Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

still wanting to eat even though I'm obviosly full

Wondering if any others are having this issue, I'm eating and start getting pains in my chest and back, but want to keep eating. I'm sure its some psychological thing messing with me. But why do I want to continue eating when I'm hurting? Any suggestions?

Wondering if any others are having this issue, I'm eating and start getting pains in my chest and back, but want to keep eating. I'm sure its some psychological thing messing with me. But why do I want to continue eating when I'm hurting? Any suggestions?

I'm the same way! It's definately psychological. It's so much of a habit for us to just eat and eat for no reason. I LOVE to eat!! I get the pain in my back and it's very uncomfortable. Most of the time I do stop, but I think about it constantly. At night, I usually just have to go to bed to keep from eating. I know I am not hungry and don't need it...I just WANT it. Years of bad habits will not go away over night. I think, if you want to keep eating when you are hurting, you're feeding something else. It's totally true for me anyway. It's a daily battle inside my head that feels very crazy sometimes. I hope that there will be a shift in my mind (and yours too) that we will eventually look at food differently. For now, it's tough and we just have to do the best we can to get through it...one day at a time (like an addict!).

Good luck to you!!

I have started to struggle with this myself the past month.... my weight loss has stopped and its been an up and down battle for me... I'm NEVER hungry but yet i want to eat all the time!!!! I dont know how to get it out of my mind, ,but it is extremely hard at times. I never thought the mental part of this process would be ethis hard

Yes - I'm 3.6 yrs out and to this day I still have this issue. Why cuz they have banded our stomachs and not our heads - IMHO the majority of our problems with food is in our heads and not our stomaches.

You have to exercise self control - You have to realize you are full and quit eating - get up go do something to distract yourself..

welcome to my world *sigh*

i have an angel sitting on one shoulder (with the lapband) telling me i don't need to eat anymore.

i also have the devil sitting on the other shoulder (my brain) telling me that the food is soooo yummy and to keep eating.

always listen to the angel!!

and unfortantely, i'm 3 years post-op and i STILL struggle!

Been there, done that ... still do it ... HATE IT!! LOL

Ditto what everyone else has said. Therapy helps me a lot. I don't know if the urge will ever completely go away because it is connected to my emotions, but I will keep hope alive! LOL

Good luck to us all!

~Fran

Ok, I am so glad that I am not the only one with this problem. I am only on purees right now and I eat and I know I feel full (not painfully so) but I want to eat more. I have to really stop myself from doing so. I know that this is probably what made me fat in the first place

This is a daily issue with me! Today I was feeling full a few bites into my lunch and I thought to myself. "Am I really full or do I just think I'm full?" But it was so good and I wanted more so I put another bite in my mouth and struggled with whether to chew it or not...that seems so silly to me (I ended up spitting it into my napkin) and I am SO GLAD I did! It would have been that "one last bite" the would have made me sick. 5 hours later and I'm not hungry but my brain is saying "it's supper time, your daughter is eating you should be eating too" 3 years out and I am still battling with myself!

I fall victim to my own head as well. The nights I do best are when I plan what I'm going to have. It's nice to look forward to that one thing and it keeps me focused. (For me it's usually pudding, skinny cow, wine, or something salty and crunchy.)

Get yourself a small bowl to eat out of I have a 3 ounce bowl that I fill and that is all I eat. I put the rest of the food away before I sit down to eat so that its not out and looking me in the face. I give that time to sink in to my head that I am in deed full once I got that I am full I go about my business. You have to measure everything and do it. It will make a world of difference. If my husband isnt done eating then he can get more out of the fridge and reheat it. People you have to get it together if you dont then why did we go through all that surgery and the hell of preop and classes and crap to still eat like we did before surgery. You have to know when to stop and me getting a little bowl from the dollar store has helped me immensely

All the above posts give great advice. My 2 cents is I started drinking a lot of decaff. coffee. It seems to help me feel satisfied when the meal didn't quite do it. I still struggle with obsessing about food to. I am 14 months post op and have lost all my weight. Good luck!

OOOOOOOO yes Decaf coffe helps so much. Love it in the evening with fat free Creamer and sweet and low. It does help also.

All the above posts give great advice. My 2 cents is I started drinking a lot of decaff. coffee. It seems to help me feel satisfied when the meal didn't quite do it. I still struggle with obsessing about food to. I am 14 months post op and have lost all my weight. Good luck!

Get yourself a small bowl to eat out of I have a 3 ounce bowl that I fill and that is all I eat. I put the rest of the food away before I sit down to eat so that its not out and looking me in the face. I give that time to sink in to my head that I am in deed full once I got that I am full I go about my business. You have to measure everything and do it. It will make a world of difference. If my husband isnt done eating then he can get more out of the fridge and reheat it. People you have to get it together if you dont then why did we go through all that surgery and the hell of preop and classes and crap to still eat like we did before surgery. You have to know when to stop and me getting a little bowl from the dollar store has helped me immensely

Fluffy, I think you missed a key word here: "want" ... the OP said "Wondering if any others are having this issue, I'm eating and start getting pains in my chest and back, but want to keep eating." We are not necessarily giving in to the urge, we are just acknowledging that even after all this time and all the weight we have lost ... our heads still want to eat MORE! Just our heads ... not necessarily our bodies ... I know for me, even when I try to take another bite .. it's a BADDDD idea and I PAY dearly for doing it ... But I don't stop "wanting" it.

The 3 oz bowl is a good idea ... think I will take your suggestion and buy one ... it won't stop me from "wanting" to eat more, but maybe, it will help me stop ... remember this thread ... and not take another bite. Thanks, Fluffy!

Just this week I have started using a small tupperware type bowl that holds just a little over 1/2 cup. It's handy to take my Breakfast or lunch along in and only allows me to eat what I measured into the bowl. I have also started putting my fork down in between each bite and taking my time to chew and actually savor the food. I have lost 4.3 pound since Monday..which is the first weight loss I have had in a very long time (that pitiful story is for another thread I am sure...the "fallen of the bandwagon" one..lol) I figured that now is a good a time as any to get back to basics and live right...it didn't put so much effort into being banded to fail at it. I just had to falter along the way a little to figure that out for myself. I don't think I will ever truly conquer the wanting to eat more, I will just be more steadfast in my efforts not to.