Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was NOT one of those people with restriction right after surgery.

I was banded on 12/23. So far for me I've had no trouble. Minimal pain, no nausea/vomiting (except a little nausea brought on by too much vicodin/not enough food the second day). Right now, I can honestly say I'm truly happy with where I'm at and excited to move forward.

I must say, however, that I was a little jealous of the people that had restriction right away. I was STARVING on day 2 when I was still on Clear liquids, and again a week later on my last day of full liquids. I don't think I have ever had any swelling at all.

I saw my surgeon for my first follow up appointment and he said this happens and it just means that I can go ahead and get my first fill on 1/17. I'm excited. I'm sticking pretty well to the eating plan now but am anxious to see what it feels like to actually "feel full" after eating only 1/2 cup of food instead of wanting to go back for more.

I wanted to post this in case there are others out there that are experiencing the same thing. I read so many posts about people not even being able to swallow Water after surgery that I was nervous...but I guess it's not always like that and hope someone else finds comfort in knowing this before they go in.

Becki

You may not have that feeling after a first fill so dont get excited. It may take several fills before you get that feeling just sayin

You may not have that feeling after a first fill so dont get excited. It may take several fills before you get that feeling just sayin

I know...Oh how I hope it comes sooner rather than later. i'm STARVING today. I'm starting to obsess overfood like I used to because I'm so hungry. :(

Becki -

I feel the same way! I was banded on 12/29 and i have constantly had something in my mouth. Today i have had Jello, yogurt, 2 protien drinks, Soup, a lot of Water and im still hungry! Maybe more Protein? But i have had 60gms and its 4pm.

The first 4 days were great but all of a sudden i became an eating machine! I feel like i can eat everything. What did you strat eating on week 2? I would love to have something with more substance so I can stay full for ahwile.

~K

anewbeckiboo just have a positive attitude..it really helps a lot..at least it did for me!! I swear on any day that I felt a little down it would cause that scale it either not budge or go up!! Usually it takes 3-4 fills before you hit your sweet spot but once you do it feels so great! So have a little patience...I know it is hard but it is oh so worth it. I wish you the very best on your journey! Take care!

I too have not yet had a fill -- and feeling hungry. I try to control portion sizes and stay away from the carbs but sometimes it's hard. I had scrambled eggs this morning, a Protein Bar at lunch and lots of Water -- I will have some turkey and a salad tonight and probably another Protein Drink, but I do still feel hungry. I can't wait for my fill on 1/13 so I can feel that restriction for the first time. Hang in there -- we can do this!

Deb

I'm positive...in fact, I haven't felt this "good" in a long time, emotionally. I am very optimistic that I have picked the right tool for the job and that I will work with the tool like I should. My motivation level right now is off the charts! :)

But I'm still hungry. LOL

Kanary, the introduction of "pureed" items sounded gross to me, but it's actually really good. pureed chili and Soup is delicous. I also started to have mashed potatoes (made with milk and slightly thinned out), cream of wheat (made with milk for protein) and I've been told I can have refried Beans but I haven't yet. The pureed Soups were actually quite good and I felt like I had lots of tasty options. Another suggestions I haven't tried (but I think I will tonight cuz I'm craving pizza so dang bad) is ricotta cheese with marinara sauce and mozzarella.

I'm glad to see there are others with me and just reading your posts has re-energized me to stick to plan...I can kick those pizza visions out of my head now. :)

I did not blender anything in the mushie phase. I did have eggs whites and added 1/8 cup fat free cottage cheese with chives added at the very end. Cottate cheese melted and made the eggs so cheesy. Tasted like heaven after 2 weeks of liquids. Also I'd recommend making sweet potato's instead of white more Fiber. Ricotta and cottage cheese with marinara is really good.

Also I had greek yoghurt with fruit which I used a stick blender on; at the beginning added milk to thin out.

I added Protein Powder to my different foods, chili, yogurt etc to help sustain the full feeling.... Just an idea :rolleyes:

I was banded on December 21st. Generally at lunch 3/4 cup of food fills me up, but for dinner I feel like I could keep eating forever. Luckily my husband is very supportive (aka strict) and only allows me to eat 3/4 cup of food. He even measured out part of the yogurt cup so that I didn't go over it. I know that everyone says that you are tighter in the morning, and I definitely am, I just can't wait until I get a few fills so that I can feel full later in the day.

I was just banded on 12/28/10 and have been starving ever since stopping the vicodin on the following Monday!! Currently on the pureed diet, which couldn't have come soon enough!! I am sooo relieved to be off of the liquid diet. However, I still feel like I could eat, and eat and eat.....My first fill is on Feb 9, and of course, I've figured out that probably won't give me the restriction to end the ongoing hunger problem. I've been a good girl with drinking all the fluids (I can still chug a 20 oz mug of Water in less than a minute) and keeping up on the Protein supplements as well. I have noticed that I haven't lost a pound since starting on the pureeds though..:( It's been freezing cold here, so I can't get outside to walk any but I'm heading back to work on the 11th, so will try climbing stairs during my lunch break (I work in a five story building). I figure that will be my exercise as well as remove me from any temptations left in the break room.

I was banded on 12/23. So far for me I've had no trouble. Minimal pain, no nausea/vomiting (except a little nausea brought on by too much vicodin/not enough food the second day). Right now, I can honestly say I'm truly happy with where I'm at and excited to move forward.

I must say, however, that I was a little jealous of the people that had restriction right away. I was STARVING on day 2 when I was still on Clear liquids, and again a week later on my last day of full liquids. I don't think I have ever had any swelling at all.

I saw my surgeon for my first follow up appointment and he said this happens and it just means that I can go ahead and get my first fill on 1/17. I'm excited. I'm sticking pretty well to the eating plan now but am anxious to see what it feels like to actually "feel full" after eating only 1/2 cup of food instead of wanting to go back for more.

I wanted to post this in case there are others out there that are experiencing the same thing. I read so many posts about people not even being able to swallow Water after surgery that I was nervous...but I guess it's not always like that and hope someone else finds comfort in knowing this before they go in.

Becki

I feel the same way as you do. No restrictions at all, not what I expected and I am a bit disappointed. I was banded on 11/16 and the dr will not fill me until after 3 months. I feel kinda cheated and disappointed in the whole process. I hope things change for the better.

I am glad (and sorry) to hear that I am not alone in this feeling of not being restricted. I was banded on 11/16. At first because of swelling I was restricted. I lost 20 lbs in the first 3 weeks, then nothing. I have no restrictions, can eat almost anything, can drink and eat at the same time. It makes it so difficult to follow throught when you do not feel like you had the surgery at all. I am getting so discouraged and I do not like this feeling. I went for my 6 wk followup and the dr told me he can not adjust me until after my next 6 wk follow up, which leaves me with 2 more months before I get filled, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you...

I was banded on 12/27. The first 7-8 days, it was easy to keep to the liquid diet. This past week, I have added small amounts of cottage cheese, white bean chili and pureed spaghetti sauce with about 1 oz of meatball. I had to have some sort of 'texture', or I knew I would eat something totally off menu. I also learned a lesson at work on Firday, when I was caught in a meeting where lunch was served and they ordered pizza! I couldn't leave to get my lunch (working lunch), so I had a piece of thin crust cheese pizza and I added a sip of Water with every small bite. I didn't get full obviously, but hopefully I didn't hurt my stomach either :-(

My surgeon advised that it should take me a half hour to eat my meal. I'm on 1/2 cup per meal right now. I eat really slowly and I'm wondering if that is why I don't have that feeling that I could eat eat and eat. I do not know how much I can eat because I have never pushed the 1/2 cup guideline for the diet stage I am in.

Also, I'm told eating and drinking at the same time decreases the level of "fullness" one will feel after eating.

May I suggest really slowing down when eating? Give your tummy a chance to tell your brain that you've eaten enough.

I know I am in a lucky place with my lack of hunger but I thought I would share what seems to be working for me.

Best wishes,