Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just curious, to different feedback & dr's different opinions, would like your input on this . I know their is a lot of contradiction over this from patient to patient .DR. to Dr would just like to get different opinions & your personal outcome.. Thanks for listening !!!

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO carbonation will expand your pouch. No soda ever ever ever. LOL

First of all, why risk the band slipping???? They would have to take out all the Fluid from around the band and now you are back at square 1. Not worth it to me....

Second, I was just reading a book last night that talked about carbonated beverages and how bad they are for ANYBODY. Carbonation is a stomach irritant. The stomach applies it's own natural "antacid" - the Calcium from your blood. Your blood replenishes it's supply by taking it from your bones so, in essence, any carbonated beverage (soda, beer, seltzer, etc) is "osteoporosis in a can/bottle"! Interesting, huh???

I admit I have had a sip or two of diet coke since surgery in August. If my stomach is empty I can tolerate a sip or two. If I really really want the taste of the soda I stir the bubbles out of a glass until it's almost flat, doesn't take too long. But I'd say I don't even do that too often... maybe 3 or 4 times in these 4 months.

Just curious, to different feedback & dr's different opinions, would like your input on this . I know their is a lot of contradiction over this from patient to patient .DR. to Dr would just like to get different opinions & your personal outcome.. Thanks for listening !!!

My surgeon suggested no carbonation unless I was a masochist. According to him, it will not expand the pouch (only years of overeating will do that) but it may be extremely painful to burp. About 8 months after surgery I took a gulp of some diet soda...went down and literally exploded back out. I don't have to sip Water so it never occurred to me that I should 'sip' the soda. He was right...it was painful. Since then I have had the occasional diet soda and if I sip it, no problem.

I tend to avoid it though since I find even artificial sweeteners get me to craving sweets.

I would advise staying as far away from the diet coke as you can manage. It's really not got anything in it that you NEED and consumption really can lead to a dilated pouch and other troubles.

I do understand the desire for it, the scratchy, bubbly feel at the back of the throat. I'm not perfect, I've had a few swallows of DC about a year since banding, but never a full glass or can. I've poured a few ounces into a coffee cup, took a swallow or two and poured out the rest. That was enough to curb my desire for it for months and months.

Be as strong as you can. Unless you have others living with you who drink it, don't keep it in the house.

Everyday that you can go without drinking one, put a dollar in a special piggybank, after a while you'll have a nice little bonus to spend on yourself!! Go buy some new skinny jeans!!

My Dr. told me having any carbonated beverage was forbidden..... as a former Diet Coke addict I will tell you giving it up was harder than the liquid part of this diet!

But I am committed to success and his logic makes sense. When you drink carbonation the stomach inflates. When the gas escapes the stomach deflates. Do that repeatedly and it can alter the band's placement. Maybe it only happens in some cases but since I am not anxious to have any problems... I am not wiling to take the risk.

i'm on the opposite side of the spectrum...

my doctor said no carbonation or alcohol for 3 months then after that time period it was fine. i drink 1 or 2 cans a day plus my Water. i've had absolutely no problems except for a gurgling noise when the soda passes thru the band that sounds like my stomach is growling.

i'm almost 3 years post op.

LOL --- how odd that some doctors say it doesn't do anything but cause gas and others tell patients it will stretch out their pouch...are they trying to scare their patients so they don't ever drink it?

My doc said it is recommended to avoid soda, because of the caffeine and the discomfort that some experience when drinking it. This said, however, I have not cut it completely out of my diet. I drink diet caffeine free pop - usually one a day - and have no problems with burping or gas. That is my treat - I LOVE the taste and flavor, not the caffeine, so I am A-OK with caffeine free. :) (I did NOT drink pop until after about 8 weeks post op - as you want to make sure your band is completely healed)

You have to do what works for you....talk to your doctor and make an informed decision for YOUR journey.

Good luck!

Kim

I am still in the early stages of pre-surgery process..haven't had my first appt yet! But I ma trying to get off soda already. For me it is Dt. Mt. Dew (I know..redneck) But it is just SO bad for you, banded or not. I am officially at 36 hours no pop. Not giving up my coffee though....Once cup a day then Water or a little juice for the rest of the day. Last time losing weight on my own I drank very little maybe 1 20 oz per day, so I know it makes a difference.

LOL --- how odd that some doctors say it doesn't do anything but cause gas and others tell patients it will stretch out their pouch...are they trying to scare their patients so they don't ever drink it?

I agree with that.... I think there is some scare tactic involved. But it worked. LOL

What is "redneck" about diet mt. dew? that made me laugh

carbonated fluids are a total no no after the band surgery why would you want to stuff your chances of loosing all your excess weight by expanding your pouch with cola etc.

i forgot one dfay and had a mouth full i was in pain for 3 hours after it so i wont be doing that trick again ever.

Thanks for all of your feedback. Seems like it is for the most part a tabu.. LOL But then again who your Dr. is. My appt. is the 19th. (1st one) I seem to be more concernwd about the diet soda than the liquid diet & all of the other adjustments that I will be making.It's funny as we get older, I seem to worry about things, more & more that I should not. I lost 123 LBS> about 22 years ago. kept it off for over 8 years, Thought I was home free.But life's event's (each one) making it easier & easier to fall back to old habits. Now doesn't seem I have the willpower to lose 5 or 10 LBS.

ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME & INFORMATION !!!