Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first stuck episode

Last week I had my 2nd fill and I now have 6 cc's in a 14 cc band. I've been doing great, but I must admit that I have become a little slack when it comes to taking tiny bites and chewing well. We had a pork loin at lunch today and I ate slowly and was fine. Just a bit ago I decided that I would eat another bite of that pork loin, so I sliced off a bite, popped it into my mouth and proceeded to the laundry room to fold some towels. Before I got from the kitchen to the laundry room I realized that I had made a HUGE mistake. The bite was too large and I did not chew it well enough at all. I spent the next 45 minutes in such excruciating pain and pacing from one end of the house to the other. I finally felt the urge to throw up and that was the most disgusting thing ever! There was so much slime that it was even coming out of my nose. Anyway, the piece of meat came back up and I felt immediate relief. My poor husband and son were so upset. They thought when I said "I'm stuck" that I meant "I'm choking". I assured them that I was not choking and explained to them what "stuck" means. Oh goodness...I don't EVER want to do that again! Lesson learned. :(

For all of you experienced bandsters...Was this a typical stuck episode or was it a little extreme? I need to read back through my literature, but I believe once I have been stuck that I am supposed to go back to liquids for a little while. Is this correct?

I unfortunately have been stuck many times. I don't go back to liquids however now that you have irritated that area of your band you will be prone to do so again.

I think of it as biting your cheek. When you bite your cheek it gets all swollen and the tiny spot is irritated and kind of in the way now when you chew the next few times you eat. You become very prone and more then likely will bite it again if your not insanely careful.. and so the circle continues. When I get stuck I baby the band for a day or so .. go to mushies, chew chew chew, small bites, extra sauce / gravy, and let the swelling and irritation your stuck episode caused go down before challanging it again. I did get myself in a cycle when things cont. to get stuck and ended up at the office for a small unfill to let things heal and calm down then refilled a week later.

Thanks for your reply, Kassy. I definitely think I am going to take it slow with just some liquids for a while since I am still pretty sore. A while back, a friend of mine told me, "you will try your band and it will teach you many lessons". I am definitely a believer now!:rolleyes:

Hi, I had my second fill last monday, I now have 7cc's in my 14 cc band. I too got stuck and it is the worst feeling ever! Thankfully the pain went away after an hour maybe 2... after approx. 3 days of getting stuck i realized that waiting as long as 10 minutes between bites helped alot. My life was miserable after my second fill, so bad that i wanted to go back in and get an unfill... These past 2 days have been great, i just hope things stay this way >_<. oh! before my second fill i was bale to eat bread and now i can't... have you noticed any changes (aside from restriction) after your second fill? I sometimes "slime" as well but have never had to throw up. I really hope you start feeling better soon!

hugs :)

Ps. I know 10 minutes between bites sounds to extreme, but that's what i was told to do.... how long do you wait?

get u some papaya emzines tablets from Walmart chew 4 of them when u get stuck it will help desolve the food naturaly in a shor time u can get them at walmart by the vitamines keep some in the car so u will have them with u if u feel like u getting stuck chew 4 of them

Last week I had my 2nd fill and I now have 6 cc's in a 14 cc band. I've been doing great, but I must admit that I have become a little slack when it comes to taking tiny bites and chewing well. We had a pork loin at lunch today and I ate slowly and was fine. Just a bit ago I decided that I would eat another bite of that pork loin, so I sliced off a bite, popped it into my mouth and proceeded to the laundry room to fold some towels. Before I got from the kitchen to the laundry room I realized that I had made a HUGE mistake. The bite was too large and I did not chew it well enough at all. I spent the next 45 minutes in such excruciating pain and pacing from one end of the house to the other. I finally felt the urge to throw up and that was the most disgusting thing ever! There was so much slime that it was even coming out of my nose. Anyway, the piece of meat came back up and I felt immediate relief. My poor husband and son were so upset. They thought when I said "I'm stuck" that I meant "I'm choking". I assured them that I was not choking and explained to them what "stuck" means. Oh goodness...I don't EVER want to do that again! Lesson learned. :(

For all of you experienced bandsters...Was this a typical stuck episode or was it a little extreme? I need to read back through my literature, but I believe once I have been stuck that I am supposed to go back to liquids for a little while. Is this correct?

@ glam gabbi: Before I had my 2nd fill, I could eat ANYTHING. Since my 2nd fill, I can definitely tell that I have alot more restriction. I haven't tried bread yet because I am afraid of it. They also told me that rice tends to get stuck as well. Have you tried rice? My husband wants me to make him some chicken & rice for lunch today and if I were not still sore, I'm sure I would be tempted to try a bite. I think my biggest problem right now is that I got a little too brave after my first fill. I have been eating too fast, taking bites that are too large and not chewing enough. My nutritionist also told me to put my fork/spoon down between bites while I chew and swallow so that I would not be tempted to take another bite again so quickly and I haven't been doing this either. I definitely learned the hard way yesterday.:(

@bwesley: I have heard of the papaya enzyme tablets, but have not bought any. I live in a very small town that doesn't have a Vitamin shop or health food store, but I will check our try our Wal Mart to see if they carry them. Thanks much!:)

Well whenever I get stuck the doctor told me to drink warm fluids behind it to make it pass because you really dont want to vomit. Its not pleasant but the fluids do help get it down. Whatever gets stuck for me I dont eat anymore. Dont ever try Frosted mini wheats they are too bulky and hurt like hell going down lol

It's funny knock on wood my only stuck incidents happend before my fills and I have'n had one since. Twice I did'nt chew a baby carrot well enought. Boy was that painfull.

Sounds like my stuck episode - hope I never have that feeling again.

When I feel a little stuck or a little pressure I chew up two TUMS and walk around. That usually helps a lot. I did vomit one time and it was a relief compared to the pain I was experiencing! I am working on the chew, chew, chew habit and am doing well in general. bread that is crusty and hearty goes down well and is comfortable. I never eat doughy breads! :o

Ive gotten stuck a few times, but it usually passes within a few minutes (thank goodness) The first thing I got stuck on was scrambled eggs, then a piece of bread, then a piece of dry turkey (duh on that one). I have the problem with the last bite. I think "oh last bite that is fine" and it ends up being too big. Ive definately gotta work on that. However, I have found take a couple of drinks helps a lot, especially of a carbonated beverage (which makes you burp)