Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's too Young?

Most insurance companies only pay for 16 year olds and up! Im 20 and having mine done in about 2 weeks on Feb 11th.

thats new. Mine totally wouldnt, so i actually started in a study to get it so they would start covering it. Thanks for the heads up, im glad its changing.

Hi,

Im 19 i know your a bit younger then me but i have been wanting this since i was 17, my insurance company only pays $7500 of a $18000 surgery so i would have had to pay for the rest myself but after i went through most of the process my surgeon decided that he didn't want to do it on me at that age.( he had done it on a 14yr old) i am 19 now and should be getting it next month. but there are trials being done on young teens so you should research it there may be one you are eligible for.

Good luck

My worry about being banded at 13 - you're not fully grown. Your organs are not full adult size. You can have no real appreciation of what you're giving up in terms of your social life during your college years, you can never even go to a birthday party and act "normal". No fizzy drinks, no burgers for a young teen, ever? You still have puberty and a growth spurt to get through and you need to nourish your growing body for that, to restrict it so strongly now in terms of nutrition could have serious consequences.

Still, being obese is horrible enough that most people would want to do something as soon as they could and depending on the extent of your problem, the benefits could outweigh the risks. I think you're right to be thinking about it and starting to plan to have it as soon as you possibly can, but be willing to accept that most surgeons are going to want to wait a few years yet, Hang in there and do the best you can.

oh maddy, my heart aches for you! i have a 13 year old niece and while she's a normal weight, i can see how poor her eating habits are. but i'm afraid to say too much because it's a delicate age and i don't want to worry about her beginning an eating disorder. kids your age can be SO cruel to each other. the thought of those girls bullying you makes me angry!

if your parents are in agreement, schedule a consultation with a surgeon or attend a free seminar. "we" have nothing to really say if you're old enough or not... only a doctor can do that. you're doing research and asking questions which is GREAT!

you know if you choose the lapband, everything about eating will change drastically and coming from someone who is older and has been banded for 3 years, i still struggle with food. i have lost a lot of weight and i feel good about myself and that's exactly why i had the surgery.

good luck and let us know what you decide!

Thank you for all the support. I'm pretty sure I'm fully grown or almost there because I'm 5'8 now. I've always been tall and when I was 7 I actually went to the doctor because I was extremely tall for my age and it turned out that then my bone age (which is the physical age of you body) was 12. Thank GOD it slowed down. I'm pretty sure that I'm fully grown. My mom had a similar surgery so I know what I'm getting into. Me and my sister would be getting it done. I think were going to get it this summer because I've decide that its so worth it and I'm sick of going through my life (teen years especially) without having a life. I have a few friends. I know no boys. I don't get invited to party's. The last birthday party I got invited to (with wasn't my best friends) was in 3rd or 4th grade. I already feel different because of my weight and for the fact that I live in the U.S. and I'm from the U.K. After finally living in the same COUNTRY as my dad for a few years he is now working in South Korea. I just have a lot of pressure on my now. I'm so grateful that I can ask other people in similar situations what they think I should do.

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH. ALL OF YOU!

Maddy

Thanks sooo much everyone. I'm really excited! I'm not getting the LapBand I'm getting gastric plication. Its similar to the gastric sleeve but Its reversible. I'm getting it in early June. I CAN'T WAIT! You've all been very helpful.

Thank you

Maddy

Thanks sooo much everyone. I'm really excited! I'm not getting the LapBand I'm getting gastric plication. Its similar to the gastric sleeve but Its reversible. I'm getting it in early June. I CAN'T WAIT! You've all been very helpful.

Thank you

Maddy

I'm glad you are able to get WLS like you wanted! Good luck!! Even as an obese teen, I don't know if I would have had the willpower back then to get WLS, but since your mom is in the know that should help you a ton! Good luck! Congrats!

Erin

I'm glad you are able to get WLS like you wanted! Good luck!! Even as an obese teen, I don't know if I would have had the willpower back then to get WLS, but since your mom is in the know that should help you a ton! Good luck! Congrats!

Erin

Thank You! I'm getting it done on Monday! :) I'm Soooo Excited! I can't wait!

Thanks

Maddy

Thank You! I'm getting it done on Monday! :) I'm Soooo Excited! I can't wait!

Thanks

Maddy

That's awesome!!! Congrats! It will be really rough in the beginning but totally worth it!

That's awesome!!! Congrats! It will be really rough in the beginning but totally worth it!

Thanks! I know it will be worth all the trouble!

It's defiantly worth it I had it about 3 weeks ago and so far I've lost about 25 pounds! I'm so happy I can't wait to see what its going to be like when I've lost all my weight!

I know its been forever since I've said anything but I just thought I should let you guys know that since my surgery which was about 6 months and I've lost (including the pre-op diet) About 50 pounds. One of my resolutions is to eat better (because my eating habits are still poor) so hopefully this year I'll eat better and exercise more frequently. All in all It was one of the best things I've ever done and I'm not going to lie I had an intense pre-op diet (I had to eat two Protein Shakes or a bar and one microwave meal (ike a lean cuisine) for a week going up to it and then I couldn't eat two days before and from midnight the day of of I couldn't drink) but I would do all of that again. And after not being able to eat for about two days was horrible because I wanted to but I physically couldn't. But like I said I would do it all again in a heart beat.

Thanks for All of you help and advice.

Maddy

Congratulations! I loved reading through this thread! I just love a happy outcome. I was just banded March 19th so this is all new to me. My 14 year old daughter wants to have this done. It is something I would definitly consider. But, still on the fence about it. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Thanks that really helps because I'm only 13 and I really want to get it done and everyone one here is IME 16 or 17 or 18 at the least. So that really helps

Thanks

Hello--my daughter is 13 and would like the surgery done. Do you think you will be able to follow the "rules". I would love for my daughter to be able to have the surgery so she could feel better and not be bullied about her weight.

Congratulations! I loved reading through this thread! I just love a happy outcome. I was just banded March 19th so this is all new to me. My 14 year old daughter wants to have this done. It is something I would definitly consider. But' date=' still on the fence about it. Keep us posted on how you are doing.[/quote']

Hello! I just found this post. I am being banded on the 7th. My 13 is very interested in being banded also. She is very overweight and has been since she was young :-(. It has definitely taken its toll on her with kids bullying and leaving her out. I'm just not sure she has the self discipline to follow the bandster plan...what are your thoughts?