Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Compare....

I am new to this site and considering Lapband. I was curious if some of you could compare the pain after lapband surgery to the pain after gall bladder surgery. Just trying to gear myslef up for what to expect.

Thanks.

Interesting question....I am not sure about comparing them because I had a very easy GB removal....the only pain I had from my original banding was the port site and that was significant but localized to that one area.

Good luck,

Mimi

I had my GB removed 3 weeks after giving birth to my second child. The overnight stay in the hospital was a vacation compared to staying at home with a newborn! The pain from the GB surgery wasn't to bad...the incision pain is about the same. The difference really is how my insides feel. After GB, I had a real meal and conitnued drinking Diet Pepsi and Chick Fil A. Now, I'm healing just fine but my body is reacting differently b/c of what has happened to my insides and changing my diet. I hope that makes sense! I would honeslty say pain wise, they are both about the same. Just be prepared for the mental changes afterwards!

The pain is totally bearable, and it's only for like 3 days. It sucks, but nothing was THAT bad. It's more just discomfort in your stomach muscles.

My GB was a piece of cake....this surgery was different......the port site was painful......but it wasn't horrible.

I have had a lot of surgeries and the Lap Band surgery was nothing for me painwise but then my gallbladder was nothing either. It's really not bad at all.

For me, GB was worse - the "big" incision was right under my bra line and the worst pain was trying to get up from a sitting or lying down position. Lapband was a piece of cake compared to that. The port incision was lower and on the side and not affected by clothing (or an underwire bra!) so it wasn't too bad. Gas pains from both surgeries were similar, lasting 4-5 days. Good luck!

I am new to this site and considering Lapband. I was curious if some of you could compare the pain after lapband surgery to the pain after gall bladder surgery. Just trying to gear myslef up for what to expect.

Thanks.

hi

I was banded in July, 2010.

I had my gall bladder out 1 year before having my band. For me it is not especially comparable, but if I had to choose I would say the gall bladder surgery was worse. I kept a close written record of pain meds and made sure to take them on time until I didnt need them --- so I never experienced a whole lot of pain with either surgery.

I had 1 surgery each summer for 3 years in a row (with lap band being last) and I think all of that caught up with me a little bit. I found my stamina was hard to recover with this last surgery and I was just plain tired for a couple of months afterward.

I agree with other banders who say it feels different internally and, of course, food wise. With the gall bladder surgery I could experiment to see what food did ok. And knew I could try any foods I wanted. Not so with the banding so far.

The incisions for both surgeries were the same type, but more of them for the band. For me the incisions for the band were much more comfortable (I had different surgeons for each surgery).

What was very uncomfortable for me was the extreme restriction of food for two weeks post op. Clear Liquids for me. I was not prepared for two whole weeks of clear liquids the doctor ordered because his office staff and nutritionist had told me only a few days of clear liquids, then full liquids, then mushies etc.

So two weeks seemed nearly impossible. I got extremely hungry and waves of hunger pangs would course thru my body...BUT I am so thankful for that experience now. It changed my relationship with hunger. I am no longer afraid to get hungry!!! I can't tell you how valuable that is to me!! There are times, now, I actually prefer to be empty for a while.

And it may become valuable to you, as well.

Those two weeks were the worst part and it wasnt because of pain. And I ended up being grateful for those two weeks :) Also, it was NOT constant and unrelenting discomfort. There was joy and excitement and a certain pride.

I did not have the port pain that some talk about.

I hope this is helpful for you. Didnt want to white wash it. The surgery is a mix and very bearable. Keep up with your pain meds and remember you are doing this for YOU.

One other thing I got from this journey is that I finally discovered a deep love for myself. By having this surgery, I intervened where no one else could.

Good luck to you and keep asking questions!

~hiddn~

The first two days were painful for me but the pain med helped that alot. I would compare it to my gb removal and when I had a cracked ribs a couple of years ago.....the pressure was intense! Don't take the abdominal/back support band off for a few days.

lap band surgery is much worse . with the gallbladder removal that is all there is to it, with lap band they actually sew the bad in and then there's the port that is sewn to the inside of your stomach wall and the port tubing that is in there..it's rough at first very rough but after about two or three weeks it's better. and after two months your good, it's still work though, you still have to watch what you eat, it's not a miracle. oh and another thing with the lap band is the blow you up and the gas pain afterwards in my shoulder was unbearable for about 2 weeks. I don't think they have to blow you up as much with the gallbladder removal.

Thanks.