Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's much easier to bounce back from surgery when you are younger and you will reap the benefits for much longer. I wouldn't want to go through most of my life being overweight, only to lose a bunch of it and not be able to enjoy my healthy new life. Sooner the better, I wish I had done this years ago.

I really must agree with you. I should have done this after my son was born! I was 23 when I had him. I did not plan on anymore children! I can't wait to really lose this weight and feel so much better and feel fit and energetic! I can't imagine waiting til i am in my 50's to have surgery! They are nuts....I want to enjoy life while my kids are still young (not just myself)!

Good Luck!

I'm 26 and was banded Dec. 16th.

LOL BeerGut and Dave_NW your avatars make me think you both look like Homer Simpson, cracks me up. Did you ever see this episode where homer got a lapband, it was on a week or so ago haha.

14826516255810337951064.jpg

25 banded 12/15...wanted to make sure I would see 35 and at the rate I was going it wasn't gonna happen. Anyone else get some flack for our age and our choice? I feel like the reflex reaction I get is "but your so young" and I keep saying back "yes but I had this and that and this..." just wonderin...

I didn't get that exactly, a few of my friends were like can't you just eat better and exercise? I had to explain, sure I can lose 50 pounds on my own, I can't lose 150 on my own without help.

I am 29, got banded on the 6th of Dec. Happy about my decision.....Good luck on your journey!

Question for you though! all of you who are in your 20's.

Was the dr uneasy or doubtful about doin surgery on you because you are "SO YOUNG"?

When I first arrived for my initial intake appointment...the intake dr told me I was really young and most people who come through the door are the older mid life people who have just had enough!!!!

I told him I don't want to wait until I am 50 years old to do what I need to do for a better and healthier life! I am young enough that I could still add years on to my life and I can exercise and get fit before I am 50!!!! Such Bologna!!!

Seriously, I'm 25, I'm unemployed, I've never been in a relationship. I'm gonna wait till I'm 50 to lose weight? No! I try not to think about it, but I'm sure if I go to an interview or meet guys, it does affect their opinion of me. I don't want that! Every other part of my life is great, my family is great, my friends are awesome, I live in freakin Hollywood! It's pretty great, but I think I am losing out on things because of my weight.

My doctor didn't think anything of it. I told him, I've been overweight forever, I've been on every diet, I've had a trainer everything, no luck. The past 2 years, I haven't given a flying crap about weight loss at all, I had basically given up. I physically needed some help now. I'm not sure I would of considered this if I was like 18. But now I'm 25 and I'm an adult, I'm mature, I can make these decisions.

im 22 !!!!! this was the year I was ready to do something!!!! 22 is my year rolleyes.gif

How did everyone do on new years eve? Any resolutions? For the first time in a long time lose weight isn't my first one, just eat better and less and let the band help me along...but as always exercise more is number 2, just as soon as the doc ok's it :)

I'm 27. Got banded 12/21 for two reasons. One, my body won't let me get pregnant at this weight. Two, all the women in my family have struggled with weight their entire lives. I did not want that to be me. I wanted to change. You are not too young!

The only regret I usually hear people saying is that they wish they got it earlier. I got it on my 26th birthday (crumbiest birthday ever but best present ever) 12/15/2010. I was the youngest person at the orientation but the doc didn't seem to mind that I was younger.

Hi, glad to see so many other youngsters out here :)

I am 23 and was banded on 12.15.10 ...being this young was defintely a concern my surgeon had..I think I was one of his youngest patients. Like many of you who posted I had to explain myself to both him (and some others) that yes I am young, I have lost weight on my own, but with the amount I need to lose, it was going to be a lot more difficlut without having help and also, I too didn't want to be one of the more common 50 somethings who wait until they are fed up and have to lose weight or else. This is an issue that I really want to address NOW while I am still young so that I have the rest of my life to be healthy....

I just wish I was there, unfortunately not even close. But I am definitely headed in the right direction!

Me! I just turned 24 in Nov and I was banded on December 20th. I'm glad I did it now too since I'm so young I'm hoping I can lose fast and enjoy being thin and healthy in my 20's!

I agree with Amber, I am 28 and was banded on the 28th of this month. Want to still enjoy it before I turn the big 3-0,

you guys are AWESOME! thanks for sharing. Someone asked the question about the doctors being hesitant? The hospital I got refered to told me they wont do it until your at least 21. I was 19 at the time and I knew I couldnt wait two years so I was very persistant and the lady in charge held a special meeting and one surgeon said he would meet with me. I guess I made a good first impression because 11 months later he did my surgery! Most people only have to do 3-6 months of pre-op counseling and all that but mine took forever because of my age!

weight.png

Im 23 and was banded on 11/10/10. My dr was actually excited to see that I was willing to do it so young. Most people fight a losing battle to their weight all their lives. Why would I want to wait til Im 50 and say "oh Im gonna enjoy my older years but be miserable in my younger years"? Thats just crazy talk! Yes, Im already married and have a daughter, but I want to be around for them when Im 50, and be able to do all the activities and live life.

Hi! I turned 24 in November and I was banded on September 13th 2010 :)