Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those of you who are banded, do you exercise?

I haven't really read anything about that around here, which is a little surprising. Exercise, exercise, excercise is all you read in the magazines these days, so it seems like the surgeons would tell everyone to get moving. I'm wondering if most bandsters start doing some kind of exercise, or if the band pretty much does the job all by itself?

Those who do exercise - do you feel it's made a difference in terms of speed of weight loss, excess skin, etc. Or does it mostly just make you feel better overall?

Yes I exercise and it makes a big difference. I wasnt able to exercise hardly at all last month and only lost 3 pounds. When I have exercised the other months its been a good 8 to 10 pounds lost. So keep moving and exercise everyday.

Not exercising is defeating the purpose of the band. The band isn't placed as a means for an end to an overeater's problems. The band is a tool just as exercising and eating properly. If you do not exericise and you lose weight at a relatively good rate, there is a good chance that you will have excess skin and more than the average joe who does exercise. Exercise DOES help in the speed of losing weight, but... over exercising increases muscle mass which therefore puts on weight or makes it seem as though you're not losing weight, but in reality, you're just replacing fat with muscle.

The best advice I've ever heard is that even if you HATE exercise, do at least 30 minutes a day of some kind of activity that you enjoy (dancing, walking, etc..). At least then you are 1 up on aiding your band in doing it's job.

Hugs

Tera

I exercise WAY more than I ever did preband, because of course it's a lot easier with 100 lbs less of me to move around. It's actually FUN now, which I never thought I'd say. It's a part of my life in a way I never expected it to be.

That said, I never forced myself to do it. Only after I'd lost the first 50 lbs did I venture into a gym, and at that point I was so pleasantly surprised at how much easier it was that it wasn't hard to keep going. A few months working with a personal trainer taught me a lot, and now it's really important to me that I get to the gym at LEAST three times a week.

For me it's been a wonderful result of being banded, not so much a part of any sort of regimen. Lots of exercise actually seemed to slow my weight loss down, but did wonders for my shape, so I just had to let go of the scale and find the other benefits. And they are legion. :)

When I don't exerize the band makes me maintain my weight, but I lose when I exercize. I am AWFUL exersizing as much as I should. In fact I hardly did at all the last month b/c I was so busy with finals,,,, and I didn't lose all month really. You have to exersize for the band to work at maximum capacity.

I exercised a lot pre band. It never made me thin but I'm pretty healthy. I plan to continue it. All I'm doing at the moment is walking till I see my surgeon and get the go ahead to get back to the gym.

I used to have basketball practice everyday. Then in mid-november when our season ended, I didn't exercise anymore. I thought I would just give myself a week because I hadn't had much time to myself. Well a week turned into two, to three, to a month, up till today. As of today, I want to exercise 4 or 5 times a week. But I think my weightloss was better when I exercise.

I just got back from Jazzercise. It's really fun so it makes exercise easier. I usually go 5 times a week.

Exercise!!! Is The Key To Your Weight Loss, You Don't Have To Kill Your Self! Try Walking At The Mall Where There Is A Lot Of Space And It's Warm And Safe!!!!

Aslo Swimming Is Great For Your Whole Body.help Your (band ) Help Your Self!

Also" Cardieo "is Very Importent With Lite Weight's. Your Band Is A Great Tool But You Also Need Some Form Of Exercise!

WALKING IS THE BEST IF YOUR JUST STARTING OUT AS IT'S EASY ON YOUR KNEE'S AND BACK! START SLOW WORK UP,SOON YOU WILL PUSH FORWARD AND BREAK THROUGH!!!

Take Care God Bless! I Hope You Meet Your Weight Loss Goal's.

This is something I have been neglecting. Probably the only rule that I have not followed from my Dr.

I really want to start, but with me losing weight left and right, I guess I am lazy and do not want to put that extra effort in.

I WILL EXERCISE!!!

I really think the key to excersizing is finding something that you really enjoy doing. I think "excersize" has become a dirty word for most of us. We try to do things that we physically cannot do. We try, but we fail, we hurt, we become discouraged.

I don't know if it is differnt for men, but I know that many women avoid physical activity if and when they can. I know that I've been told many times that "ladies don't sweat." I know that I've internalized this at some level, even though I really enjoy working out.

I think there is a big hurdle that many of us need to over come, and that is the mental thing. Of course, there are so many mental things for Bandsters to overcome! :)

Now, I have to go and start training to run 6 miles in under an hour. Yeah, like that is going to happen, but I was offered an internship that requires a 8 mile run every friday! YIKES!!! To qualify I need to be able to run 6 miles in under an hour...

I normally exercise 1 or 2 times a day 30 to 40 minutes each. I have lost 81 pounds in less than 7 months. A friend of mine had the bypass 2 days before I was banded and she has only lost 90 pounds and the bypass is suppose to be so much faster upfront than the band... I am just so thanksful that I feel like exercising. and I also work 12 hour shifts so some days I don't get to the gym but I try to be pretty faithful except this month with the holidays I haven't worked out and I can really tell a difference. My out of town relatives just left today so I will probably be hitting the gym later today, it is a lifestyle now and I can't quit....

My Dr told me my weight loss was so good because of the exercise. Also I am near 50 years old so my metabolism has slowed and the exercise helps it pick back up, the most important is do what you can live with for the rest of your life, so your weight loss will last that long also.Don't know that I can exercise 2 x a day for the rest of my life but I don't ever want to give up on it, that is when I started gaining years ago..

You probably wouldnt have to exercise that much for the rest of your life anyway, most people can cut back a bit just to maintain weight but to keep it coming off requires a pretty big exercise commitment.

I've pretty much told myself in my head that this year, I'm giving myself permission to put it before anything!! Part of the reason (apart from having an almost 3 year old and 2 other kids) that I've decided to continue with part time study, even though I initially planned at this point to go full time, is to give mysef time to get to the gym.