Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those of you who are banded, do you exercise?

I got a brand new Schwinn for Christmas and that is what I have been riding. I also bought a used treadmill for a fantastic price. So for the last week I have been working out for 45 mins everyday. I also bought 3 exercise tapes today at halfpriced books for 4 bucks a piece...I am locked and loaded and pulling the trigger for 2006! :-)

Exercise definitely makes a difference for me on how fast I lose. It also makes a difference in my energy level -- a BIG difference, and when I'm getting my workouts in, my Water intake increases too. I also make better food choices.

So you'd think I'd be more consistent with it, but over the holidays my schedule got all discombobulated. I'm starting to pick up with it again and am already feeling better.

I was at a New Years party tonight and the kids were doing DDR. I'm thinking of getting one of those, anyone have one and like it? (DDR = Dance Dance Revolution, for those who haven't seen it / heard of it. A console game with a pad you put on the floor and you have to try and follow the moves on the screen.)

I am thinking about dusting off my treadmill to get ready for post op band (date 1/24/06). How much exercise can a person do initially? and what about situps? lifting weights? Is there any type of activity that can hurt the band? or the port?

Also, I have two dogs, one's 20 lb's, the other is 30 lb's.

THe larger dog PULLS unmercifully. I plan to leave them at a friend's for the first two weeks post op. But I am concerned that the Puller will hurt me when he comes home. Any advice would be appreciated.

Basically the rule about post-op physical activity is if it doesn't hurt, it's fine. With the exception of heavy lifting, against which we are cautioned for 2-3 weeks or so, any physical activity that you feel up to doing will be OK to do. Just pay attention to your body and don't overtax yourself. Dr. Bertha's mantra is if it feels good, do it!

I did Water aerobics 3 tiems a week for almost 3 years and found it was the only exercise I don't dislike...in fact I missed it if I didni't go. Makes you feel fantastic afterward. Then in late summer I cut my leg and had stitches that took a few weeks to heal c ompletely and I just never started again. But as soon as I can after surgery, I'm going back and will do it faithfully.

Emily

It always happens doesnt it, you get into something you love and something happens to stop you going. I was swimming during my second pregnancy, getting really fit, keeping the pregnancy weight gain at bay and then I broke my hand at 27 weeks and put on about 15kg before my baby was born at 37 weeks.

I love the deep Water running class at my local pool, its such a shame they only have one a week.

Water exercise is fantastic when you're overweight, no pressure on your joints, not so strenuous that you cant keep going a couple of times a week, its really worth a try if you struggle with anything else.

I have done some type of exercise for the last 6 days for at least 45 to 60 mins each session...I just feel so good mentally about doing that. I have walked, bicycled and done video aerobics...Susan Powter really kicked my butt yesterday....loved it!

I need to get some Richard Simmons tapes, like groovin to the oldies, I think I could handle that, though, I'd probably need shades for my exercise room.

Pat, you can get them cheap at halfpriced books if you have one in your area. I picked up 3 tapes the other day for 10 bucks. You can find them cheaper online, but with shipping, sometimes it comes out more expensive.

I do Water aerobics 2 days a week. They offer classes through my employer, but the lunchtime instructor sucks. They have a 7am class that I've gone to and really enjoy it. I think now that I'm back to work from vacation, I'll be heading back in the a.m. I really find that it is my workout of choice. I can do the eliptical for about 30 mins before I feel like my legs are going to fall off!

I remember the Richard Simmons tapes, I think I still have one!

My mom turned me on to her Walking videos,when I heard of this, I thought it was silly to walk to a video,but it's actually very cool.

weight.png

I do the walk videos on my video on demand in the living room! I too thought it would be silly but now I think its neato esp for days like today when its rainy bad weather I can still get my walk in!

I started walking as soon as I got home. As soon as I could go in the pool which for my DOC was 6 weeks I really got busy. My form of excersize is in the water... I do Water aerobics 3 times a week and I swim the other days...

It has made a HUGE difference! Sometimes I don't want to go... well maybe more then sometimes, but I go anyway! I know like everything else if I give myself an inch, I will take a mile!!!!