Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

wine anyone?

Besides being empty calories will a glass or two of wine a night hurt my band? Does anyone else out there do this?

I was told I could drink but it moderation. More like once a month or a speical occasion. I think the reason is due to the smaller pouch think that we have a increase risk in developing a stomach ulcer.

I split a bottle of red wine with my hubby 2 or 3 times a month. I was told that alcohol is fine in moderation, except for beer because of the carbonation.

I guess it depends on what your doctor's definition of moderation is... drinking every night may be pushing it because alcohol is a stomach irritant. Talk to your band doc or nutritionist to get their recommendation.

A few drinks a week wont hurt you - even one a night but I would think 2 glasses a night - particularly since a glass of wine is rarely a standard measure anymore, but more like 2 or 3 measures of alcohol - would slow your weight loss significantly.

Wine in moderation has health benefits! So enjoy it, I plan to as well, but probably just a glass a couple of times a week. I havent had much yet, but did have a glass or two over christmas. We've usually got a bottle open in the fridge.

I dont drink beer or spirits or even juice, cordial or softdrinks so I refuse to feel guilty about the odd glass of wine.

I have wine on occasion with no problem. Not very often though, maybe twice a month? (except when I was on that cruise in Nov; we had wine every night with dinner! lol)

With alcohol I try to watch for both calories and impaired judgement -- i.e. I've heard many people say that they end up eating more at dinner when they have alcohol before or with the meal.

At support group someone mentioned that they enjoy a glass of wine before dinner when they eat out with friends because they are tight and it relaxes them enough that they don't have problems with anything getting stuck. I'm not tight enough to have had anything get stuck anyway, so I can't corroborate. :)

I don't know what your doctor says (and of course, always refer back to him/her) but wine is fine for me. I have a couple of glasses a week but try to do so a few hours before bedtime or I might feel a little heartburn. I also have to stay away from reds because the acidity makes me have reflux pretty much instantly. I still taste at my monthly wine tasting, but always eat something right after to wash it down.

Good luck!

Megan

I am considering the surgery still, but one thing holding me back is that the surgeon I met with told me that I can't drink. He said that I can't drink for a year and after that maybe one drink once a month. I am so confused. drinks don't run my life, but I am young and I do live with my boyfriend who also likes to drink. I can't imagine never going to the local pub and having a few drinks or drinking at christmas, weddings, etc. This is something that is really putting me on the fence. Does anyone know that facts about it? This dr. told me that it can erode the band.

Wow, I've never heard of drinking causing erosion... only that it slows down your weight loss (lots of calories!). Do you think your doc is just trying to use scare tactics? It's good to be safe of course -- maybe ask on SmartBandsters Yahoo group for a 2nd opinion (Jessie would know)

I called my doc about this yesterday and was told that other than calories alcohol does no harm to the band. I specifically asked about spirits as when I do drink its Vodka on the rocks (only 53 calories per serving). They even said that as long as you account for calories beer is fine if you can handle it. He allows carbonated beverages after 2 months.

Love it. I want to try some wine at night and I was scared to death. Afraid of the empty calories and afraid I might get to used to it! You look great by the way. I have lost 42lbs on mine but have slowed down considerably as I need an adjustment. I have about 40 to go. The wine didn't slow your weight loss no?

Best Regards,

se

I am a slow loser due to alcohol consumption. I am now limiting my intake to 4 drinks a week, mostly staying away from week days.

Wow? Down to 4 a week? Well I don't know what your previous consumption was, but if you're cutting down to 4 a week, it was probably pretty robust.

I'm the Bandster exception I guess. I look to the European Bandsters since they have been banding there for decades with great success.

Euro Bandsters drink quite regularly and still lose well. Of course moderation is key, but I never missed a Friday Happy Hour during my banding (except for the 2 Fridays after my TT - ouch!) and I lost fine.

In fact I think that most of the light social drinker Bandsters I know seem to have lost a bit more some of that didn't drink. Doesn't make sense but it's true. (And the Bandsters' unofficial fave liquor is vodka - from coast to coast. Don't know why but it is.) Anyway, that's completely unscientific but bottom line is that I was never a beer drinker but those who do drink it say that the carbonation isn't easy to tolerate in larger quantities. I believe it.

Two or three drinks a week will probably not slow anyone down from weight loss - if they account for those 'empty' cals or carbs elsewhere. No one got this band to make their lives miserable, I bet. I think I lot of us chose this option to help us make good choices and maintain our weight over a lifetime. It's not a reason to eliminate things that we enjoy - the band is suppose to help us moderate our intake of those things, and that might well include alcohol. (I can't drink as much as I did before banding, basically because I eat so much less. It's simple. I'm a cheaper date now! )

So for that reason it's important to find a way to incorporate the band into our lives - not to make our lives dry (so to speak). :) Let's be banded and live our lives to the fullest - I'll tip my martini glass to that!