Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The First 48 (hours post-op)

So I wanted to post on my experience post-op because although there were several, I wanted some with pre-ops who are reading this to be aware.

I had surgery on Nov 18th. Before the procedure I read alot of posts here and (incorrectly) presumed that gastric banding was more akin to an outpatient, in and out, little to no pain type of procedure. For some folks it is, for me it was not.

After a bought of last minute anxiety and crying, I was prepped for surgery at 7:30 am. I was out in a couple of hours. By about 10:30 I was in a room and drifting in and out of sleep. The doctor soon visited and warned that a side effect of the anesthesia was nausea and a side effect of the procedure (in addition to pain) was gas. Well folks, this was a gas like no gas I've ever experienced. This gas was/is painful! And the nausea is just as bad. To make it worse, because of the liquid diet for 7 days and no food in about 12 hours before the surgery, there was nothing on my stomach to release. so it was a combination of dry heaves and chest pains. The nurse alternated my pain meds between morphine and tropidol. The morphine was stronger but caused more nausea so I didn't want any more of it.

The first night (aside from the pain) was uneventful, but for the fact that I had to sleep sitting up and could not roll to either side.

The next 24 hours were just as difficult. I was released from the hospital with instructions to eat only liquids for 2 weeks, as much as I could stomach. Well that wasn't much. My first meal was a few spoonfuls of chicken broth, 1 spoonful of Jello and 3 sips of hot tea. That's it. For the next few days, that was about all I could stomach.

AND THEN...the gas set in. I tell you, that is the worst part of it all. I spent the first night at home pacing the floor. Even after taking a gas pill (or 2 or 3), the pain persists and come up and out in ways I never knew it could. Even now, 5 days later I'm still quite gassy and burping uncontrollably.

The worst of things now if that I actually feel hungry. That means that m insides are healing and not as swollen, however the liquids I eat are only filling for a little while. I still encourage those of you at this stage to stick with the liquids though, I'm confident that its all a part of letting my body heal properly. Although, technically, there is no restriction in the band for the first few weeks (and you could eat whatever you want), its not worth it. After 6 months of mental preparation, 7 days of Protein shakes, and risks of surgery, certainly I can do 2 weeks of liquids to achieve the end result.

Lastly, and most importantly, you will be constipated (at least if you're doing everything you're supposed to be doing). <-- no one talks about this enough. After 7 days of Protein Shakes, you've got nothing else to push everything through but the Water you're drinking. After surgery, you're not eating much and pooping is the last thing on your mind. So here I am 5 days out, and its the #1 priority in my life!

I had surgery on the 19th and have the uncontrollable gas burps you mentioned. Other than that I am feeling OK ... on my 2nd day of no pain meds

I didn't feel like taking the Protein yesterday (Carnation Breakfast) and haven't got any down today either. I asked my sister to go by GNC and get me some Isopure and am hoping I can get one of those down today. I bought powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury but the taste of the chicken Soup made me gag so I will be sending it back. I never tried the unflavored yet and don't plan to unless the Isopure doesn't work.

What are you taking for your Protein?

The fact that you didn't know any of this was going to happen means that you didn't listen to your provider or your provider didn't inform you of what was going to happen. I just went to my nutritionist last night and she went over everything step by step. They should have told you this wasn't an outpatient procedure. Also that fact that you can't eat allot should have been evident, after all you just had a gastric band put in. I think this comes down to a lack of research on the part of the patient. <_<

Mine will be an outpatient procedure........unsure.gif

Also, jedivy, I'm sorry you're having a hard time. I've read a lot of stories similar to yours in the first few days post-op. Keep up the hard work though, I'm sure there's a light at the end of the tunnel. :hugs:

Sorry for what you're going through. My experience has been the exact opposite. Having read this forum for several months (and 3 or 4 seminars by my bariatric group) I was expecting the experience to be more like yours. Maybe guys have it easier?

There definitely should have been better information for you before the procedure, I'm not sure where the fault for that lies. For instance, my surgeon has an approx 2 hr class given by the bariatric nurse coordinator on the day of your pre-op tests. All the patients having the surgery the same day as you attend together, unless they make other arrangements, but attending the class is mandatory. In the class they go over everything that will happen & what you can expect to feel etc from the minute you check in for your surgery. I have to say she was right on the mark about the whole 24-28hrs I spent at the hospital!

Hi Jed...sorry for your discomfort. I was banded 11.19. A heating pad has helped my gas pain alot, as has a few Gas-x strips, altho I my dr said they would not help. On Sunday I was so weak from no food, and I could not tolerate the clear Protein supps. I called my nurse Mon AM and after several questions, she allowed me to have bland mushies, preferrably protein packed ones. Ask your dr if you are having so much trouble. It was like a light switch went off when I ate just a tablespoon of cottage cheese. My nausea was gone, and in 10min I had some energy. I was able to clean my 2story house! I finished over the day that 4oz container of cottage cheese. Today I had a few tablespoons of refried Beans topped with 0% greek yogurt. I did 20g protein yesterday, and today I'm up to 27. My nutritionist said the first week is not crucial for protein intake but after that I have to get in at least 60. I'm going to do my best to do it with food as I cannot stomach most any protein supps. Just call or email your dr's office, see if they can help you feel better. Walking did help me a lot, I just moved slow.

To all - I think my mistake was actually in reading these blogs too much. I went to 2 seminars, and have have several appointments with my caregiver, psych and nutritionist. I asked all the questions I thought relevant (which took about an hour the week before my surgery). But I've also turned to these posts alot for some real-life perspective.

In many places, this procedure IS an outpatient procedure, and since I've had outpatient surgery before, I was aware of the after effects of such procedures. Usually, the procedures are outpatient because of the nature of the recovery period. And I will say that many of you describe little to no pain or no discomfort after the surgery. I'll add that this is the most serious surgery I'VE ever had, so I don't think it uncommon to not know the exactly how I would feel post-op.

So Docs*wife, hate to disagree, but I did a great deal of research on the surgery, the after-effects and long term effects. I made an informed decision, but I do think that my post-op experience can be helpful to those on the pre-op side mainly because I didn't see anyone else post-op writing about a similar experience. I did not say that I didn't know "any of this," rather I'm choosing to share my experience.

For the others - I used unjury pre-op. I hated the strawberry sorbet and could only tolerate the chicken Soup once every couple of days. I loved the chocolate and vanilla, and take a shake of that to keep my Protein up. Today, I've been able to take alot more than I have in the past several days. Also, my physician's assistant (who I've spent alot of time talking to pre-op and post-op) recommended "Oh Yeah" pre-made shakes. I've never tried them but he likes. In the hospital they gave me "Optisource" carmel Protein Shakes. I don't like the taste of carmel but they were pre-packaged and convenient. I googled them and they also make a strawberry flavor.

I remain on a liquid diet and am sticking with it as best as possible. I took a little applesauce this morning in hopes that it would get other things moving a little and I find that a little Tomato Soup soothes my hunger paigns.

Jed,

My surgeon said I can use benefiber mixed into my Protein Shakes. I have IBS and am really worried about being constipated. Also my surgeon said one to two bowel movements per week is normal at first.

Best wishes,

Jedivy21-

This is the only surgery I ever had so I also didn't know how my body would react. Fortunately, I am apparently a good surgical patient & healer :) I also read a bunch of posts, there is a good thread on here were everyone describes the day of surgery experience. From that I took away that there will be a vast variety of how people feel, how they recover, overnight hospital stay as opposed to out patient & what there post-op diets are. I made mention of my pre-op class because I read your first post to mean you didn't know what to expect. However, hearing that you read the forums alot I understand the situation much better.

I love that we can get a ton of views & experiences on these forums because one of them will match where we are at any given time during our band journey!