Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whoever said they had ZERO pain post surgery is a LIAR!!

I had my surgery on November 17th and I'm happy about it, however, after reading all of these posts I was led to believe there would be minimal to no pain...HAHAHAHA THAT'S A JOKE!!

I was certain that death was imminent on the day after surgery until I got my hands on the GOD-SENT GAS-X. My doctor prescribed Demerol and I say TAKE IT!! There is no need to walk around thinking, 'Oh a little extra strenght Tylenol will get me through it', that's a crock of crap!!

I'm totally paranoid about how much I eat. I'm sustaining myself on about half a cup of food per meal. I'm scared of what a stuck situation will be like. Also I'm chewing everything 28 times. So having a conversation while eating is out of the question. Imagine counting in your head and talking... bad idea!! food isn't fun anymore, after you have chewed something 28+ times it doesn't even taste good anymore...I had 31 years of food tasting unbelievably good, hence needing the surgery!!!

So now I'm 7 days post-op and I generally feel fine. I'm nauseated when I wake up in the morning, could it be because I haven't had a bowel movement in days... um yeah!!! I can't find a comfortable sleeping position and I don't know if i'm coming or going most days but I still think this was the best procedure for me. I have made a call to my doctor to better understand why I feel the need to sleep sitting straight up in the bed, she called me back and laxatives here I come. This is less that ideal for longterm so I hope we can nip this in the bud. Best of luck Bandsters, please don't take my rant as advice not to get the surgery. I think this tool is going to actually work, heck I've lost 6lbs since last week!!!

My appetite has increased which means the swelling around the band must have gone down. I guess this means I'll be increasing my intake to 1 cup of food per meal. I'll keep you posted on my progress. I'm still excited about the new me that is waiting in the wings!!

6lbs down.... 78 to go!!!!

What are you eating that takes 20+ chews?

I had my surgery on the 19th (2 days after you) and I am on a liquid diet ... with absolutely nothing to chew. You get a cup of what ... I have had SF Jello at the most and it slides between my teeth no chewing required.

I am worried about getting my Protein. The powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup was NASTY so I will be sending it back. I had no Protein yesterday ... am enjoying Tomato juice today plus will have a Carnation Breakfast drink later.

Oh yeah ... I didn't get your pain either. I took 4 pain pills day of surgery just because I wanted to make sure I didn't feel anything, day 2 I took 2 pills because I felt a little pain at port, day 3, and today no pills no pain.

Eating really?

Most people are on liqueds for quite some time....I know I was! 4 weeks worth!

I was on liquids for 2 days, mushies for 2 days and back to normal food on day 5. Anything I eat (tuna salad, chicken salad, flaky fish, sliced turkey, soft veggies) I was advised to chew at least 27 times. I wish i had had all of your pain levels as I really thought the gas was sent by the devil to destroy me.

Everyone handles pain differently. When they asked if I need a pain killer in recovery, I said 'no'. I didn't need any pain medicines over the next 5 hours before they discharged me but they sent me home with a scrip for painkiller anyway. I never filled it. I have a pretty throw pain threshhold so was very surprised. Now, a paper cut on the other hand and I need anesthetic. :blink:

I was back on regular foods in 2 weeks. All depends on the surgeon.

I am not lying when I say, "I felt no pain at all!"

I am having a panniculectomy next week and expecting some pain with that. Luckily, I still have the pain killers I didn't need. So, I can use them after that.

I must be the exception because I had no port pain. I also had no gas pain. I did hurt from the incision, but only because my fat would jiggle and pull at it.

I had surgery last Tuesday November 16. I have taken pain meds EVERYDAY. Today has a been a good day so far so I haven't taken any meds today. I am worried that something is wrong on my port site because that's where I have tons of pain. I guess I will find out tomorrow at my one week post op appt to see what's going on. Today I ate oatmeal for Breakfast. It was pretty scary but luckily everything settled well! I wish everyone the best in the upcoming adventures of weight loss!

LOL Miki, you're right, that gas pain (which for me was in my left shoulder) was straight from the devil! That was the only real pain I had, but if my doc had given me demerol I would have taken it! I took Darvocet religiously -- probably why I didn't feel any pain. :lol:

Depending on what you're eating, chewing 27 times might be overkill. Stop counting and just pay attention to how mushy the food is before swallowing. You can't spend the months to come counting every bite. And, just so you aren't surprised -- bandster hell is probably in your future too. Read about it on this forum. Forewarned is forearmed, you know? Eventually things WILL get better (barring, of course, unforeseen medical difficulties).

Everybody needs to rant every now and again so, have at it! We are here to support you.

All the best to you on your journey.

~Fran

I don't think people lie about their pain, I just think that everyone's body responds differently. I also think our surgeon's expertise and our own mental preparedness affect how we deal with the pain. I didnt have much pain at all. I slept about 4hrs after surgery, spent night in hospital with some dilaudid. My last dose of IV pain med was 7pm after my noon surgery. I went home by noon the next day. At home I had Vicadin, which I have used

1 + 1/2tablets so far. Today I feel almost normal. I didn't have the severe gas pain, just some gas pain. It was gone by day 3. My incision is only tender if I move to fast. I cleaned my 2story house yesterday, grocery shopped for 1hr today. I use a heating pad a few times a day if I get some pain on my back.

ETA that my dr told me chewing well is great, but if you chew till the food is a slider food, it will not help you. He said that the chewed food needs to be chunky enough to actually sit in the pouch and curb your hunger by triggering the sensors at the top of the pouch. Ask your dr or nutritionist about this. He told me to cut things into pencil eraser sized bites then just chew normally.

I am not lying when I say, "I felt no pain at all!"

I am having a panniculectomy next week and expecting some pain with that. Luckily, I still have the pain killers I didn't need. So, I can use them after that.

Well hello btriger...Haven't seen you around lately, or I might have just missed your posts...I hope you have a happy thanksgiving;;;wow 33 pounds to goal.. that's reall awesome!

I wanted to respond that pain level is 1) subjective, 2) depends on the person, 3) can be affected by the doctors skill level/techniques. I did stay over one night in the hospital and had pain killer there. When I came home I used liquid Tylenol (I did try to stay ahead of the pain by taking a dose every 4 hours) for the first few days. I did have pain in the port area for at least 2 weeks. It did hurt to stand up and sit down; but not horrific. I don't want to minimize anyones pain; I do think visitors to this site need to understand there can be a sliding scale of pain. I would hate for someone to read this thread and say "There's no way I can have this surgery done; I would'nt be able to take the pain.

I agree with others that pain is relative. I didn't have any pain at all and the gas in the shoulder didn't start for me until day 4 and even then it wasn't that bad. But, I also understand not everyone will have the same experience I did. I think if you find you need pain meds you should take them. There is no point in needless suffering.

I hope things get better for you soon.

I had pain the day of surgery and took my vicadin...last dose at 8 pm and then no more. Sore at port site for a few days. Had surgery on a Tuesday and went back to work on Thursday (half day) and then all day on Friday. That even surprised me. I had the pain in the left shoulder...thought I slept on it wrong. Gas makes sense. I was on clear liquid for 2 days and now can add Protein Shakes, cream of wheat, cream Soups, mashed potatoes. I've stuck to Protein shakes for the 1st week and today did some mashed potatoes. Not sure how I'm feeling yet. Would kill for real food. :) Amazing how every doctor is different. I can't imagine being on food a couple days out. Hope your pain goes away soon.