Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone out there NOT hungry?

I read a lot of posts talking about how hungry people are 1-2 hours after a meal. I have read this even from some that say they are at their sweet spot or have restriction. It is easy to understand how frustrated they must be.

My experience and my question are a little different. I have been banded for close to 1 ½ years and I have been at my sweet spot since about April 2010. I rarely feel real hunger -- the stomach growling kind. I usually know that I am hungry because I start to lose energy, and have the slightest of hunger pangs. Usually I look at the clock and notice it is lunchtime or dinnertime. When I think about it, being truly hungry was never my problem even before the band. My eating was the result of emotions, ANY EMOTION. Happy, sad, glad, mad, angry, lonely, tired, hurt, and the list goes on and on … as did the numbers on the scale. After I was diagnosed with Atypical Type 2 Diabetes in January 2008 and was put on medication things seemed to level out a bit. More often than not my BG numbers were too low. I lost a few pounds (about 23 lbs), took my meds regularly and I didn’t suffer from “the hungries” as much. Shortly after being banded I was taken off Diabetes meds. I would say that 75% of the time since being at my sweet spot (and much therapy, LOL) I am able to stop myself from using food to quell an emotional ill. I am working toward being at 99% but hey … we all have our flaws.

My question is: Are there others of you who, after reaching proper restriction, no longer feel real hunger pangs?

Thanks.

I spoke at a lapband info night last week just to give my experience as someone who's been successful with it. Before i got up, my surgeon spoke for about 40 minutes and he made a big deal about how the lapband provides satiety and lack of hunger and that is how it is supposed to work primarily - more so than restricting what you eat.

I thought "wow, that hasnt been my experience".

Early on, I had that. For about six months. I lost interest in food, I mean, I enjoyed what I ate, but I wasnt hungry, didnt have head hunger, never felt physical hunger.

That didbnt last for me. I have a normal appetite, normal hunger levels and a fair degree of head hunger these days, I've just learned to deal with them. So yes, i do get hungry and i very often just want to eat for no particular reason. Perhaps more fill would solve it, but I'm at a healthy weight and dont need to lose, so I havent sought that out.

I'm about to get unfilled in about an hour becuase I'm having another surgery next week. Part of me so doesnt want to do that, I'm terrified of rebound hunger and weight gain but a part of me is also VERY interested as to how much hunger/restriction/control this band is providing me.

I'll report back!

I don't know how "great" I'm doing vlp, 75% is not very high when it comes to losing weight. I struggle with exercise and for me, exercise is key.

Jacqui, I wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery. Sending you prayers and good thoughts and rainbows and whatever else it takes to pull you through this to a happy ending! You are a phenomenal woman and this thing will NOT keep you down. It will be interesting to know whether there is a noticeable change in your hunger once you are unfilled.

Take care.

When I'm properly restricted, I didn't notice I was hungry either. I would sometimes get home and find myself shaking and then realise I hadn't eaten all day. I didn't get that straight out mind you, only after about 6 or 7 fills.

But my band isn't that tight anymore and I do experience hunger now. Like Jachut, I don't want to change that because I'm maintaining easily and don't want to lose anymore.

Jacqui, I agree! You are an inspiration!

But on the other hand, being unfilled for me would terrify me too, because for the first time in my life I have a little control.

I am not at my sweet spot yet, but because I'm newly banded (little over 3 months) I can still freshly remember the ravenous person I was before. Maybe for you, your mind set is so strong and good that you will have the tools in your mind to do this. Please let us know how you do!:blushing:

I suppose it depends on your definition of hunger.

I had Breakfast 2.5 hours ago. Am I hungry? No, not really. Am I thinking about food? Yes. Would I be able to eat something now? Yes. Am I going to go and get something to eat now? No, because I know that I'm not really HUNGRY. I will probably go and make myself a nice cup of tea - that should keep me satisfied for another hour which means that I can probably stretch it until lunch time.

Preband I would have probably had 3 biscuits, a slice of toast and still be looking for something to eat.

So for me the NEED TO EAT kind of hunger has gone away and has been replaced by the something to eat would be nice but I don't really need it kind of hunger. Which is great because it means that I am back in control.

I suppose it depends on your definition of hunger.

I had Breakfast 2.5 hours ago. Am I hungry? No, not really. Am I thinking about food? Yes. Would I be able to eat something now? Yes. Am I going to go and get something to eat now? No, because I know that I'm not really HUNGRY. I will probably go and make myself a nice cup of tea - that should keep me satisfied for another hour which means that I can probably stretch it until lunch time.

Preband I would have probably had 3 biscuits, a slice of toast and still be looking for something to eat.

So for me the NEED TO EAT kind of hunger has gone away and has been replaced by the something to eat would be nice but I don't really need it kind of hunger. Which is great because it means that I am back in control.

Elcee, do you attribute the lack of the "need to eat kind of hunger" to proper restriction in your band, or do you think you have changed the way you feel/think about food?

I don't think I have changed the way I think about food. I still love chocolate, cake etc. Fast food was never an issue, I was never a big fast food fan. I love sweet stuff.

I think it is because my band is doing what it is supposed to be doing.

BTW I didn't make that cup of tea , I made a mug of skinny hot chocolate instead!

In the last two days I've had to revise my definition of hunger. I thought my band wasn't working because I was 'hungry' most of the time. Then I had a complete unfill two days ago because of the constant pain in my shoulder. *Now* I know what true hunger is. What I felt before was most likely (and I'm still testing that theory) just the craving/hunger created by swings in my blood sugar.

It makes me appreciate my band all the more and can't wait until they 'fix' it so I can have it back!

:wink2:elcee

What is skinny hot chocolate? Thanks Tina

hot chocolate made with skim milk. :)

I am an emotional eater . . . or was . . . I am . . . my body wants to be but I am pretty good about handling it. Since my first fill of only 1cc with no fill at surgery I lost almost all hunger. Still at 15 months out I could go all day and not eat. I don't because I will not lose any weight my body goes into stravation mode even though there is still some fat on me that my body could use for fuel . . .too bad it does not work that way. Even now I only have 3.8 ccs in a 10cc AP Band and have no hunger and can not handle anymore fill. Hope that helps somehow.

Jacqui - I hope all goes good for you. You are always so honest and straight forward and an inspiration to many of us. You will be in my thoughts and prayers in the nexts weeks. Keep us posted.

Cheri

Edited by 123crod

Looks like the band is not only helping physically but also mentally. Knowing the band is there is helping you from eating as much as we want to, not as much as we need to so we're not hungry anymore.

Ι cant really say that the band vanished my appetite coz before being banded i never felt really hungry.I had some cravings from time to time -which is different from hunger- and i was spending the whole day eating a huge nothing because i was not hungry at all.At dinner time i was eating a LOT coz my body was trying to compensate.My metabolism was nearly dead and each time i try to follow the "5 meals" rule i was easily losing weight.

But hunger?that's another story..hunger was never my best friend BB(before band) or AB (after band).I was eating out of boredom.I still struggle to stick to 5 small meals but i stop worrying about calories.I dont care anymore if i get 700cal per day as long as i keep fuel my body with food rich in Proteins and vitamins.It is strange to hear someone with 252lbs saying that she was not hungry but .. it is true and very common to overweight people.