Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Airport Scanners and the Band

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all happy and well. Like lots of folks, I'm traveling via air this weekend, and understand that by the time of my return flight, all airline passengers will be subject to the new full-body scanner systems at the airport. Has anyone heard if these detect or "go off" as a result of the band? Even more worrisome, could they damage the band (or my insides!) in any way? I remember receiving some warnings about certain types of medical testing involving x-rays when I was banded. Thanks for your help!

Probably Just Being Paranoid and Planning a Great Trip Regardless, Wen :blushing:

I am sure that if it was possible for them to damage your band or your insides then they would not have been approved.Are these the ones that give a full xray type image? If they do then they may possibly be able to see the band - I don't know, but you certainly aren't going to set anything off.

I think you should just relax and enjoy your trip.

I think they are safe for the device. Also keep in mind if you refuse the scan you will have to be hand searched; and the new regulations require it to be fingertips in rather than back of hand. Not trying to start a argument just want people to know the new rules. I would rather have the xay than have a security person touching my genitals open palm. Yes, you can ask for a same sex security person to do the search if you decide against the scan.

I agree elce. I'm just going to enjoy myself and if anything comes up, oh well. It will beat flying at my old weight regardless! :w00t: Getting felt up could be an interesting start to the vacation honk, but I think I'll just ask my hubby to do it once we're settled at the hotel. :blushing: Thanks for the responses. I'll let you know if anything crazy DOES happen.

I have flown several times since being banded, and I have yet to set off any alarms. I don't think the scanners can see through your body, just through your clothes.

I think I'll ask next time, if they can see my band. That would be cool to see!

Thanks for the response JuneAct2. I've flown at least 20 times since being banded with no problems whatsoever. It's just the new scanners which have me freaked. I think it might the fact that they are referred to as "advanced imaging technology," which, to me anyway, implies it's similar technology to MRIs. It just sounds so...medical.

Oh, and I'm pretty positive the old scanners could not detect the band at all. I traveled internationally on numerous occasions and never even set off any sort of detector. So, I guess post-November 24, we shall see if these new things are any different. Eeep!

This thread has made me so paranoid lol. I've always been concerned that my band is going to set off something at the airport (it never has) but now I'm scared that the new machines are harmful to it or something. I'm flying 9 times in the next month and a half and I hope nothing weird happens!

Hiya isaviolinist. I just found this on the TSA website (finally!). They must have been getting questions.

"For comparison, the energy projected by millimeter wave technology is thousands of times less than a cell phone transmission. A single scan using backscatter technology produces exposure equivalent to two minutes of flying on an airplane.

Note: Advanced imaging technology screening is safe for all passengers, including children, pregnant women, and individuals with medical implants."

Whoo hoo! We can both stop worrying now. Enjoy your travels! :)

WELL AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!:)

I have been through the full body scanners twice. I didn't set off anything.

I had a Bone Density Test, and the radiologist swore I had a belly button ring in "I'm 56, so I don't think so" finally she said yep it's your Lap Band.

Thought you would like to hear it.

I think they are safe for the device. Also keep in mind if you refuse the scan you will have to be hand searched; and the new regulations require it to be fingertips in rather than back of hand. Not trying to start a argument just want people to know the new rules. I would rather have the xay than have a security person touching my genitals open palm. Yes, you can ask for a same sex security person to do the search if you decide against the scan.

I have an artificial hip and always has same sex person pat me down. I joke around with them because they are just doing their job to keep us safe.

Carry your lapband ID card at all times!

I have wire in my chest from a partial sternotomy some years ago. I have never had any trouble with any alarms going off or any such thing. I doubt the lapband will cause any trouble as it is not metal. I guess you could always call the airport and talk to security if you are really worried.

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all happy and well. Like lots of folks, I'm traveling via air this weekend, and understand that by the time of my return flight, all airline passengers will be subject to the new full-body scanner systems at the airport. Has anyone heard if these detect or "go off" as a result of the band? Even more worrisome, could they damage the band (or my insides!) in any way? I remember receiving some warnings about certain types of medical testing involving x-rays when I was banded. Thanks for your help!

Probably Just Being Paranoid and Planning a Great Trip Regardless, Wen :blushing:

Sorry, I meant to come back here and tell you all as soon as we got back (um, two months ago). I forgot. :opps: Anyway, of course as soon as it was our turn in line, they switched us to the new scanners, and all of 3 completely non-traumatic seconds later, we were on our way to the gate. No biggie at all. If they saw the band, they didn't mention it. They also neglected to comment on my fancy new bra. ;)