Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In need of an exercise and healthy eating partner. La Puente, CA

Hello all, I have been banded since 9/21/10. I have lost about 15 pounds since that day, and I feel awful about it. The story is that it is now almost two months after and I have completely lost faith in the band and not to mention myself. I eat the same way before being banded, candy first, and maybe some food if I am up to it that day. I know I did not have this surgery to go back to my old nasty habits, but I feel there is much more I am lacking besides motivation and commitment. You see, being obese my entire life, I have made a dependency on other when I need to go somewhere or do something. If I need to go to the store I lug around either my husband or I will literally drive 30 minutes away from home to get my niece to go with me. I know this is no excuse and I hold myself accountable, but this is a trait that I have formulated for myself and I cannot (not that I fdon't want to) break free from it. To make my story shorter, I basically need someone who can "hold" my hand through my process. LOL. My DH is not a big help. He eats what he pleases and when I have asked him to help me, he insists that he is helping. Realistically, he cannot offer much because he does not know anything about the band.

If anyone is intersted to join a gym and share recipes with my I would totally love it and appreciate it! I am in La Puente, CA, and I am willing to go as far as a 20 mile radius around my home. IF interested send me a pm or e-mail at trofila@hotmail.com. Thanks and I wish everyone success in this though journey!

Ok, first take a deep breath. Second, you knew when you got the band that it was not a magic wand that would just make you skinny. It is a tool, so use it. Have you had your first fill yet? It will take awhile to get restriction; therefore, you have to make sure you make a conscious effort to NOT eat like you did before. It won't be easy but you can do it because if you didn't think you couldn't, you would have never had the surgery done in the first place.:thumbup: People around you are going to eat the way they always did, they didn't make the decision to change YOU did so the only person that can hold you accountable is you.

I am glad that you are looking for a workout buddy, it is always easier when there is someone around to help keep you going! As far as recipes go, treat the internet like your best friend. There is a plethora of meal ideas out there. I just want you to realize that you CAN do this and no one needs to hold your hand. Take charge of your future, health and jean size. You already took the big leap now just start walking. Positive thoughts and hard work will get you exactly where you want to be. :laugh:

Ok, first take a deep breath. Second, you knew when you got the band that it was not a magic wand that would just make you skinny. It is a tool, so use it. Have you had your first fill yet? It will take awhile to get restriction; therefore, you have to make sure you make a conscious effort to NOT eat like you did before. It won't be easy but you can do it because if you didn't think you couldn't, you would have never had the surgery done in the first place.:laugh: People around you are going to eat the way they always did, they didn't make the decision to change YOU did so the only person that can hold you accountable is you.

I am glad that you are looking for a workout buddy, it is always easier when there is someone around to help keep you going! As far as recipes go, treat the internet like your best friend. There is a plethora of meal ideas out there. I just want you to realize that you CAN do this and no one needs to hold your hand. Take charge of your future, health and jean size. You already took the big leap now just start walking. Positive thoughts and hard work will get you exactly where you want to be. :lol:

Hey Teacher07! I want to thank you for your words of encouragement, God knows I do need them. As far as my first fill, it has not happened, and by the looks of things I will not have one until January!!!!:lol::mad:

You see I have had a really bad cough since about a week after surgery, it left me literally breathless. I would wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air! Not a good feeling at all. I still have the cough know, and I am able to tweek it where I hold my breath so I wont cough. Now that I look at it, I hope I am not left with some kind of brain damage from all that oxygen depravation, LOL. Well I have to wait until I have test done to see what is wrong with me, but my primary already has a feeling that my vocal cords were damaged when I got intubbated...OUCH!! It has been a rocky start for me, that is another reason why I am so discouraged. NO RESTRICTION, is hell!! especially when I prepped so much before my operation. I do want this, and I do feel guilty every time I eat unhealthy food, so I know there is something deep down inside me that really wants this to work. HOpe I find a workout buddy soon!! :thumbup:

See girl you already know that you can do this:) It just sounds like you need a little reminder from outside sources. As far as the cough goes, yep that sucks and I have heard of other people having their throat scratched and different things like that. I fortunately didn't have to deal with that. I did however have to deal with feeling like I was STARVING for awhile. I would suggest eating more often until you get your first fill. I mean eat smaller portions of something throughout the day. I know I was told eat your meals with no or minimal Snacks throughout the day but maybe you could try smaller meals throughout the day at least until your first fill. It might help to keep you satisfied and stay away from the unhealthy foods! Good luck! :thumbup:

15 lbs in 2 months is PERFECT. 1-2 lbs a week is the goal... and you're right on!!! Weight stays off longer and is better on your body if you lose at that rate rather than dropping 10 lbs a week like we all wish we were doing...

I know how easy it is to go back to the old habbits... how many years of pizza and burgers got me here? but I need to kick myself in the butt every now and then and get back into the program because it's so easy to not feel like cooking and cleaning up the kitchen after a terrible day... so we order out... and I eat too much... and one night of that makes it easy to do it again and again.

I hope you find a work- out friend. My dh and I just finally joined the gym last week and need to really get into the rhythm of going regularly.

You're doing great! You're losing, not gaining. And it does get easier after a fill or two, but fatty candy and sliders will still go down easily so that part's going to be willpower. Don't quit!!!