Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

will anyone admit to...

not being a good bandster from the get go or soon there after? anyone out there who did not follow the after surgery clears only rule and go strait to mushies or foods? or cheat really bad early on? did you slip your band becaue of it? did you do fine? there has to be some rebels out there:p

I wasn't good, seeing doctor today for the first time. already eating whole food but chewing well and each day I start out saying I'm going to be better but..I always try something.. yesterday was a good day, drank my Protein and Water until supper time then had a reg dinner about 1/2 the amount I would normally put on my plate. know I'm not a good bandster.. but every day I start over and try again

I'll be honest, no I havent cheated. I mean what did I do this for, so I could just cheat?

I feel like I've been given a wonderful gift and I'm going to make the most of it. I'm also very concerned that I get adequate nutrition during this liquids/mushies stage and that means no room for crap like ice cream or sundaes or anything else like that I could possibly get down.

I made this change in my head months ago and I intend to continue with it.

Due to the simple fact that I was banded almost four years ago, my doctor did not have me on Clear liquids for weeks after my surgery. He simply told me that the first few days, I would probably only be able to tolerate liquids and then to carefully add foods and to be careful when first eating them. So, that's what I did. After day 5 I was eating food, but mostly mushies for a few days and then moved on to more daring foods. The only thing I stayed away from, and basically still do, are breads and red meat. It wasn't until I found this site that I learned about liquid Protein and Protein Bars for weight loss.

Cheating, as you call it, must be done very carefully, if at all. Your doctor's instructions should always be followed, just because it is concerning food vs not going back to work, doesn't give us a green light to ignore his/her instructions.

We wouldn't think about breaking the rule for no heavy lifting for a certain period of time, so why would we eat things we know we aren't suppose to. Self discipline is one of those principles we must all learn if we are to be successful with this weight loss journey.

Does that mean that I have never eaten anything unhealthy since starting this journey, absolutely not, I am human after all and I do occassionally indulge myself with something I really want, healthy or not. The difference for me is, I no longer go on long binges, at least not any more. Retraining ourselves takes time and alot of work. We are constantly growing and learning.

My advice about following the doctor's orders are quite simply as strong as they are, because this is legitimate medical advice and there are medical reasons behind it. It's not a matter of being perfect or not cheating, it's a matter of taking proper care of yourself following surgery.

Good luck.

Happy Holidays

Cindy

I went in to see the nurse practioner after my esophogram--8th day post-op. My port incision looked questionable (he prescribed antibiotics). At that time I begged him for mushies, the liquids were getting exceedingly difficult with each passing hour. He let me begin them on Saturday instead of Monday. You would have thought I had won the lottery! Mushies were easy to stick with -- I like cottage cheese, etc. Now on regular foods.

So, yes, I did follow instructions.

I didn't cheat while on liquids or mushies, but as time goes on, I find it much more tempting to eat the easy stuff. Today, I was shopping and wanting fast food, not because I like it, but I was in a hurry. I ended up not eating until a few minutes ago and my choice of the day, ERRRRR, a Sonic ice cream cone, 30 degree weather.

Yes, lest I sound sanctimonious, which I didnt mean to, I'm sure my bad habits will creep back in - eating on the run, eating what's easy. I want this band bedded in good and tight and I want to take advantage of the early fast weight loss so I'm not even tempted at the moment to do anything I shouldnt.

But you dont need to have a "cheating" mentality either once you're on real food again. All food is a valid choice, its just some choices should be made less than others. If you want something "bad" have it, enjoy it and forget about it!

I think the whole idea behind the band is Portion Control. Although I have only been bended for three weeks, I am eating normal food-just not very much of it! My birthday was four days after surgery and I had french onion soup-cheese and all-with no problems. I have tried a copule things that didn't go down so well, but overall I am amazed at how "normally" I am eating. As long as I stick with small portions and very lttle bites, I think I'm going to be fine!

The only sort of "cheating" I have done is to eat a fun-size candy bar with no nuts or caramel. Other than that, I have been using the rules as a guideline. Sometimes I have been able to eat more than I should, but I snap back into reality and ask myself why did I undergo surgery in the first place? It takes time to adjust your eating habits.

everyday I eat tomatoe Soup, reses peanutbutter cups, cheetos, milk and juice..

Sometimes I have hot cocoa, sherbert and cerial with cream,.

I dont seem to follow any rules ..

I am getting down on myself for this too.

I PLAN to change this in January. But how many times have I thought this same thing..

I dont Pb and I dont ever plan to.. But thats all I do right.

I was on solids a week after surgery, but I had my nutritionists blessing...

I can (and have) eaten bread, rice, beef, and alot of other things that cause problems for other bandsters. The band is about Portion Control for me. I am becoming a very picky eater. If it's not wonderful, I won't eat it. The downside to rebeling is very slow weight loss, but I'll be happy and not feel deprived during my weight loss journey.

I am approaching my second week on this Monday. I can then move to mushies. Every day I have Soup, Water, Protein drinks or Jello. I have been eating aboutt 3 times a day. Often I have to force myself to eat because I forget. Not very hungry.

My concern is recently (last two days) I have been able to drink more Water and soup. Is this normal? Should I be alble to get so much down? I don't have the golf ball feeling my chest anymore.

Bear in mind I have lost 10 lbs and for the most part am not hungry.

Please share your opinions.

Thanks

Lisa

225/215/128

12/12/05

Acuna, Mexico