Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Third Week and Hungry

I had my surgery on Oct. 14th and during the first week and a half I lost about 15 lbs. Now I'm hungry and I feel like I can eat what I use to before surgery and at the same portion sizes. Even though I've been having diarrhea CONSTANTLY, I'm still hungry and not losing any more weight. I'm really discouraged and wondering if I should contact my surgeon or not. I did get my period a few days after the surgery, but it ended last week. I'm not sure it that has anything to do with it. I'm really depressed about it and not sure what to do. Has anyone experienced this? I have like no restriction! I know I haven't had a fill yet, but I expected to still lose during these 6 weeks.

Hang in there, it gets lots better. Restriction will come and you will love your band. For now, I would focus on eating lowfat, lowcarb even if your portions are larger than they will be once you have restriction. Good luck and keep up posted on how your doing.

I'm 3 weeks out also. I haven't lost anything the last 2 days. Even if you feel like you could eat a "normal" sized meal - DO NOT DO IT. You will stretch your new stomach and esophagus and will cause problems. COntinue to eat you 1/2 cup portion - focusing on Proteins first. Hunger could also be thirst....so make sure to drink your fluids (but not at dinner time).

I know you want to lose the weight; so do I. But in the long run, you should aim on losing no more than 2 pounds a week. That way, your skin will have a chance to shrink back, rather than bagging.

Just try to keep motivated......good luck to all of us!:wink2:

I'm so glad someone else is having the same issues. I had my surgery on October 15th and have been feeling hungry as well. I've been good on eating small portions, I know that I need to drink more Water. If I get hungry I'll reach for my water or a sugar free popsicle. Good luck!

I was banded on the 12th and my weight loss pretty much stalled out at 15lbs. Other's on the board have told me that during the 6 weeks before the first fill I should concentrate on healing instead of numbers on the scale. I hope that helps.

My husband hid my scale because he didn't want me obsessing or getting discouraged! Slow and steady wins the race.

I was banded on 9/30. I stalled out about the same time. It lasted for about 5 days. I think my body was trying to adjust to my chunk of weight loss. Then I started to loose little by little after that :wink2: I think it will pick back up for ya. I'm starving all the time lol! I get my first fill on 11/3. I'm down 20lbs since surgery.

talk to your surgeon and ask about Fiber replacement to help with the diarrhea. Also are you taking in any Protein Drinks? I found that the protien drink/supplement helped me alot.:wink2:

I agree speak to your surgeon about the diarrehea I hear its not good to have it. It has to do with what kinds of food you're intaking.

I was banded on 10/09/10 and feel the same way. I am very hungry too. I try to drink and eat alot of protien but I dont think it is helping anymore. I have lost 13 lbs since surgery but it has come to a stand still. I feel like I am getting all of my old craving back/:wink2:

I am feeling the same exact way... weighing 3 times a day, getting depressed about the toggling scale. The horrible cravings! Today we went out to eat after church, the only mushie thing I could find on the menu was chicken n dumplings. Now I have felt guilty all day for eating that. Im suppose to be on purees strickly but I find myself justifying soft foods that I can chew, chew, & chew until its nearly nothing. Im 4 weeks out at this point,,, is anyone else eating things like fish, chicken salad, this type of consistency without pureeing and just over chewing? Is this okay? Im not having any discomfort Nor any restriction. Im trying to cut the portions but is the consistency going to hurt me?

I am also finishing my third week. I am starting on soft foods timorrow and I cant wait. I have been feeling hungry at night. I just eat snall amounts. I really dont feel full. Is that normal? I am also always dying of thirst after my last meal. I watch the clock for that hour and a half to fly by,

I feel the same way. I'm sooo hungry and it is like all of a sudden. Literally, yesterday I was fine today I am famished. I keep telling myself to control myself and am doing a good job, but so hungry! Glad to know it is not just me. I was banded Oct 14th.

The week before surgery I did a low carb high Protein diet and was able to drop 8 pounds. I was banded on 10/27 and when I got home I had lost another 3 lbs. HOwever, since last Friday, I have only gained weight. My calorie intake has not even topped 800 calories in a single day becasue of the discomfort..... but yet I am gaining. I so dont understand and now feel totally frustrated. :)