Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A new Bandster with a few questions!

I'm officially part of Band camp as of this past Wednesday!! The surgery went well and everyone was extremely nice and helpful at Franklin Regional Medical Center in NC. (have to give them props)

As for the recovery I am in a lot of pain. I hurts so much to sit down, stand up, and walk where my port area is. As well as the gas pains... my back and stomach ache and are tight! I take gas x strips and taking hydrocodone for the pain.

Question for the post bandsters: How long did you have intense pain sitting down and standing? how about the gas pains? Any tips for post up recovery? Also, I haven't had a "bowl movement " (sorry I know TMI) since before the surgery.. is this ok?

Thank you all for your support and answering my previous post!!

Hi Bono,

I was banded on October 15th and really didn't have any severe pain. The one place I really felt anything was where the port is and it was mostly a "stinging sensation'" rather than outrite pain. I noticed a little bit of the gas pain stuff. Getting up and walking around seemed to help that the most. I took two doses of children's tylenol and that was about it. I never even filled the prescription for percoset.

I was banded in Morehead City, NC by Dr. Michael Bell at the surgery center. He was great!

Took a while for the bowel movements to start back but what can you expect on a liquid diet?....lol.

Moving was the best medicine in my case. I went yesterday for my two week post op followup and everything was great. I'm moving to mushy, chewable foods since yesterday and am feeling great. As my surgeon said....now the fun part begins - as the weight starts to fall away!

Hang in there!

Pam

I'm officially part of Band camp as of this past Wednesday!! The surgery went well and everyone was extremely nice and helpful at Franklin Regional Medical Center in NC. (have to give them props)

As for the recovery I am in a lot of pain. I hurts so much to sit down, stand up, and walk where my port area is. As well as the gas pains... my back and stomach ache and are tight! I take gas x strips and taking hydrocodone for the pain.

Question for the post bandsters: How long did you have intense pain sitting down and standing? how about the gas pains? Any tips for post up recovery? Also, I haven't had a "bowl movement " (sorry I know TMI) since before the surgery.. is this ok?

I am sorry you hurt so much. I never had any pain associated with the actual surgery. My pain came from the CO2 gas they pump in and can't get out. Ow wee did it hurt! I found gas pills and the such didn't help much. Walking really was the best thing that helped the gas pains, for me. And I see on here that many people say the same.

As far as using the bathroom, that is normal. The anesthesia slows everything down, including your bowles. It could take awhile to get back to normal. My doctor told me to use Miralax or Colace. I just bought the generic version of Miralax and that took care of things. Also, many people on here drink a tea called Smooth Move Tea by Traditional Medicinals. They even have chocolate flavor.

Oh...and hydrocodone connstipates too. So as soon as you are feeling better physically and can cut them down or out all together, I would.

Hope that helps! Good luck!!

I am not banded yet but I have researched this for two years!! You should call your doctor if you are in that much pain just to make sure also there are other things people have said they take for gas if the bandsters want to share them . . I have also heard that day 3 -5 are the worst then things get better so there is light at the end of the tunnel!! Good Luck!

I had surgery in the morning and came home that afternoon. We stopped at the store and I walked around slowly. Then we went to my mother-in-law's. Then I slept for a couple hours. The next day I was back at work for half a day.

I never took pain meds even in the recovery room when they asked if I wanted them and never took them at home. I did take a few aspirin (liquid tylenol) a few times, but that was it. Nothing more than soreness or discomfort (when I tried to use my stomach muscles for sitting up).

I really think the fact that I was moving pretty normally made all the difference.

I have also heard that day 3 -5 are the worst then things get better so there is light at the end of the tunnel!!

That was my experience, I was banded on Oct 20th, about the 5th & 6th day I was in horrible pain from the gas. It shot right to my left shoulder and felt like some nasty cramps right under my rib cage. That was a couple of days ago and now I feel fine. There is still a little gas but all in all I'm starting to feel normal again.

My gas pains were like yours and lasted about a week. My Dr. told me that it an take up to 2 weeks for all of the air to be absorbed and released by the body. I realize you are in pain but the best thing to do to get the air out is to walk around.

I had surgery yesterday, came home today. I am in alot of pain too. Same places, same ways you mention. I never knew how much you use your abdominal muscles until now. First time I stood up from bed was excruciating. I'm taking the tylenol w/codeine and that seems to really help. Congrats and good luck!

I had pretty severe pain too and very poor pain medication.. they only gave me Darvocet which IMO is glorified Tylenol. I was one unhappy camper as I had TOLD the NP that Darvocet wouldn't be enough and she assured me it would be. anyhoo.. I got through it using Vicodin left from dental procedures.

It took me about 2 weeks to start feeling close to normal. You'll get through this and eventually be happy you had this done.. might take a while though to get to that point.

I was banded in Monday and today is the first day I had very little pain getting up and down from the couch. I took the medication once today and I am feeling fine. The gas in my system is the issue now. My stomach is rumbling, but not hurting.

The pain wasn't as bad for me. Within a couple of hours of getting home from the hospital my mum had me up and doing chores for her. I think I ripped a bit of the port off my abdominal wall because I wasn't laying still.

Best thing is to just lay still and let it heal. The more you move your stomach muscles, the greater the chance of getting a flipped port.

Just rest and you should be fine. It takes a couple of weeks for all of the pain to go away.

:thumbup:Congratulations on making a lifechanging decision - you're now on the other side and your big adventure has started! The pain started easing a little each day as the wounds starting healing. One week down the road it was totally manageable. 6 weeks down the road no pain unless I twist around to go something - more of a pulling feeling.

The bowel movement part is important - I recommend you get something to help. Don't expect any 'large results' :thumbup: You have had very little food in your system so not much waste product. I used a product called Movicol which is a powder you stir into Water and drink. It keeps what is in your inside soft and smooth as you really don't want Constipation.

All in all post recovery = rest, rest, rest. Keep an eye on your port for any redness increasing - phone doc, sleep, take Vitamins and keep up your Fluid intake. I drank Vitamin based drinks all day.