Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being Banded In Dec, Few questions about skin/exercise

Im researching my ass off, and honestly I want some serious answers from some people who experienced it. Im aware that i may have excess skin, but working out will reduce it, when i gain that muscle mass it will help with not only to get me to my goal quicker but I won't be loosing muscle mass as if I did nothing. So what Im really curious about is what is best for me to reduce the amount of skin Im left to deal with. Im 18 years old, so Im hoping my skin will be gracious, but I was wondering if any of you had any tips, suggestions, or certain workouts, that worked best for you on tightening those parts of your body especially the stomach where your left with that unwanted skin. :/ It's what worries me the most, being so young, and cosmetic surgery is so expensive!!!

Any suggestions are well appreciated.

I havent been banded so I don't think I can answer your question fully, but what I have started working out before being banded! I splurged and got a trainer as well, and we're focusing on the areas that have excess skin and trying to build up muscles in those areas. It's never to early to start. I don't think there's a way to avoid excess skin but everyone is different. You're young so from what I've read, your skin will "bounce" back better. Personally, I'm anxious to get this weight off and begin a family so plastic surgery will be way down the line once my family is complete. Good luck!!!

Hey OP,

Sorry to break the news to you, but there's not a whole lot you can do about your skin. Exersize will tone up your muscles, but if your skin is stretched, it won't help with that.

Everybody's skin is different and weather or not you will have loose skin at the end of this process depends on a number of factor including but not limited to,

1. Your age.

2. How much you lose.

3. How fast you lose it.

4. How many times you have gained and lost before.

5. Genetics

There are also as of now unknown factors as to why different individuals skin react in different ways.

If you do end up with a lot of extra skin plastic surgery is always an option.

Im researching my ass off, and honestly I want some serious answers from some people who experienced it. Im aware that i may have excess skin, but working out will reduce it, when i gain that muscle mass it will help with not only to get me to my goal quicker but I won't be loosing muscle mass as if I did nothing. So what Im really curious about is what is best for me to reduce the amount of skin Im left to deal with. Im 18 years old, so Im hoping my skin will be gracious, but I was wondering if any of you had any tips, suggestions, or certain workouts, that worked best for you on tightening those parts of your body especially the stomach where your left with that unwanted skin. :/ It's what worries me the most, being so young, and cosmetic surgery is so expensive!!!

Any suggestions are well appreciated.

First of all, I am hoping to be a December bandster too so hoooray for us both! LOL.

Secondly, I think its awesome that you are already visualizing a slimmer, sexier, healthier you and you're preparing for the potential loose skin.

But like someone else said, at your age I think you will probably not have much of an issue with bouncing back. There may be some loose skin, but probably not a whole lot.

And like someone else said, I'd rather be thin with loose skin, than fit in the amount of skin i got now!! lol

Good luck!

First of all, I am hoping to be a December bandster too so hoooray for us both! LOL.

Secondly, I think its awesome that you are already visualizing a slimmer, sexier, healthier you and you're preparing for the potential loose skin.

But like someone else said, at your age I think you will probably not have much of an issue with bouncing back. There may be some loose skin, but probably not a whole lot.

And like someone else said, I'd rather be thin with loose skin, than fit in the amount of skin i got now!! lol

Good luck!

Yes! I agree! Im just asking in terms of better exercises to tone stomach etc, and maybe some lotions or something. With collagen i heard that helps, i'm aware that there isn't tons i can do, but exercising is probably the best way, i had a friend who didn't and had tons of excess skin, someone i know did and had a lottt less. Cause like i said your loosing muscle mass too when you lose all that weight and don't exercise. i was just hoping for some tips. Im just glad im doing it when im young and not 20 years from now, i want a new life!

You have youth on your side and that is a very good thing. I think you have your mind in the right place and will do very well. Sometimes you just have to let the chips fall where they may. You can do everything in your power to make sure you do it right and still end up with some skin issues. Creams and lotions are a good thing and if you keep your skin hydrated it may help you in the wrinkle department as you get older, but loose skin from major weightloss is a different thing. Loose skin with young toned muscle under it has to look better than loose skin without the toned muscles.

You and I can not compare. I am 45 years old. Right now I am a 161 pound woman wearing the skin of a 264 pound woman. Yes, I'm a little loose and saggy.

yeah, i understand, i just want to do my best since i am so young, i really don't got any money for cosmetic surgery, it just worries me, i don't wanna throw that on my parents you know, i want to do the most i can, and not do it too late like i already did on letting my weight get like this

I'm 38 and if I have loose skin, I have loose skin. At least I will be thinner and healthier. I've seen the videos for tummy tucks and for your arms and the incisions absolutely scare me. That is a huge scar to deal with. I'm just not a surgery person and scaring freaks me out. But this is just my opinion and my OCD talking and it is not a judgment on the individuals who want plastic surgery ! My band was my first surgery and I hope to to have another one if I can't help it. I'm just happy for us all wanting to be more happy healthy people <3

I'm 23 and I'm also getting banded in December '10 (on the 30th to be exact - just set my surgery date today!), and I'm also worried about having tons of loose skin. Partially because I've been pregnant (with twins) and partially because of what people say about the amount of muscle tone you can lose if you don't work out... maybe we can keep each other motivated! :)

Sorry I don't have anything good to put in, but just letting you know you're not alone in your boat!!

I'm 23 and I'm also getting banded in December '10 (on the 30th to be exact - just set my surgery date today!), and I'm also worried about having tons of loose skin. Partially because I've been pregnant (with twins) and partially because of what people say about the amount of muscle tone you can lose if you don't work out... maybe we can keep each other motivated! :)

Sorry I don't have anything good to put in, but just letting you know you're not alone in your boat!!

Yeah, We should! I ran into a old friend i knew about 6 years ago when i was little. He was my moms friends boyfriend, they got divorced, anywho he lost tons of weight had skin taken off and is a body builder now, he said i can ask him for advice or anything!

I'll add you as a friend and we can be like lap band pen pals. :)

I joined the gym so im starting now, to get my body used to exercising,Im not waiting, Im already taking Vitamins, and fish oil. They really help your energy level. So after we have our bands put in its essential for me to take them.

wow I am hoping to be banded sometime in december also I am hoping by the end of december or beginning of January. There are going to be a few of us..I am looking forward to the challenge..:)

So Ive been doing this for 3 days, and already lost 2 pounds. Im going to the gym today.

I love these Vitamins

Well I am ten months post op and down 70lbs I have some on my belly but its all about how well the elasticity is in your skin. I have no hanging arm fat or leg fat and I am 47. Will I get a Tummy Tuck? Not necessarily if I can hide it with clothes. I am happier now then I have ever been. I dont care what it looks like naked I am healthier and happier and found the man of my dreams that I am marrying on Nov 6th 2010. If you are worried about skin you will have it. Excersise will not get rid of it in any way shape or form. Dont want to rain on your parade but it just isnt going to go back you have youth on your side but if your skin is really stretched in certain spots it probably wont go back. Just sayin.

Well I am ten months post op and down 70lbs I have some on my belly but its all about how well the elasticity is in your skin. I have no hanging arm fat or leg fat and I am 47. Will I get a Tummy Tuck? Not necessarily if I can hide it with clothes. I am happier now then I have ever been. I dont care what it looks like naked I am healthier and happier and found the man of my dreams that I am marrying on Nov 6th 2010. If you are worried about skin you will have it. Excersise will not get rid of it in any way shape or form. Dont want to rain on your parade but it just isnt going to go back you have youth on your side but if your skin is really stretched in certain spots it probably wont go back. Just sayin.

Well im aware of that, but with exercise it helps, regardless of what people think if your building muscle tone it helps, then if your not exercising and losing muscle your skin will be worse. I have a friend who is 22 and has ALOT on her arms legs and stomach because she got into a car accident and couldnt work out. Im aware its not all going to be gone, but sitting around doing nothing will make is worse. Im sure ive have some on my stomach, but if i can go from a full apron skin to half of an apron, thats what ill do!! :)

Not to meantion you'll be a healthier person if you work out, not just a skinny person.

I think it is a good idea to wait at least a year after you reach your goal to judge where your skin issues are. If there is going to be any bouncing back it needs time.Cherie don't get yourself too worried about things that may not happen with you. You are going toward this with a great attitude and learning all you can. You will do very well and I am so happy for you!

I would just like to add something about sun damage. I come from a generation where tanning was a big deal. We used to lay in the sun with baby oil on. I was very tan every summer for many years. Now we know better about sun damage. I still have it in my brain that I look better tan, but I have changed my ways. Better late than never, but the damage is done.

Edited by Humming Bird