Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2011 Bandsters !!!

I am scheduled for surgery on Jan. 13th (I am going with the Lap Band). I started the Pre Diet today. So far not so bad, I was told that tomorrow, I am going to have the hunger pains and hunger headache. Has anyone started their pre op diet? Are you struggling to not want to cheat? I feel like all I do is think about food. I am trying to keep myself busy with other things but still thinking about food :o(

Yes, it was so hard to not cheat. But hang in there as it gets easier. Today is my last day of the pre-op diet - getting banded tomorrow (yea!) and even last night I had to finally go to bed because I had so many cravings. Use this time to your advantage. For example, I never thought I was an emotional eater and during my pre-op diet I realized that food provides me comfort. I never really understood this and now I will look for other ways to find comfort. I rarely ever let people comfort me because I am so "strong". Now I know that I either have to find other ways to comfort myself or let my family be the ones to comfort me when I need it. I am so thankful that I now understand this. I have been trying for years to find out why I eat.

There were also times where I wanted to give up, especially since my pre-op diet was over Christmas and New Years. I have 3 other friends who went through lapband surgery over 1 year ago and neither of them regret their decision, so this kept my eye on the prize. Good luck on the 13th!

Well today is the first day of my pro-op diet so far so good but its still early so we shall see wish me luck

I'm scheduled for January 18th and am starting the 2 week Low Cal Diet. My surgeon has set daily goals of 1,000 cal, 60-80 gram Protein, 64 oz Fluid. I can use two prepackaged low cal meals and Liquid Protein supplements. I got some Muscle Milk Light in both chocolate and vanilla to help out.

Hello

I went to the dr. today EKG, Labs and chest x-ray are all done!!! Alomost there!!! I am getting excited!

Kristin

I'm getting banded Jan 11!!! I only have to do 7 days or pre-op diet I am on day 2 and it is very difficult. I have been expierimenting with shakes and found the best tasting one to me (like Ovaltine) is from GNC Isopure in a white bag.. I'm having difficulty with the hunger headaches but not allowed to take any meds :( Day 2 and I have lost 5 pounds... Lets see how today goes...

Start 208

Goal 120

Surgery Date 1/11 :D

so get this...................ugghhhhh!!!!!! so frustrated!

I only have a 3 month wait so I hurried and got all my appointments on the calendar within the first week after meeting the surgeon. The Pulmonologist was the one that told me that I had sleep apnea (18 apneas per hour) and would recommend the cpap - i said "let's wait till after the surgery to see if I've lost weight and if not then we'll get it.

My surgeon's office got the pulmonologists letter of clearance but it really wasn't clearing me - it was more or less protecting him because I had refused cpap - i get why he wrote it that way - i just wish he would have told me that he was going to

Soooo.................in November I went back to the sleep lab and did another study WITH the cpap and agreed to get it - they brought it to me on 12/14 and i've been using it MOST nights - i think i fell asleep about 4 nights without it. My boyfriend is at the COPD lab right this second getting the smart chip print out from the cpap so i could run it over to the pulmonologist so that they can get me ANOTHER appt this week but the doc is booked till jan 17th and my surgery is jan 18th!!! can you believe this?!?!?

Insurance doesn't really need this but the anastegiology dept does and they won't do the surgery unless they have clearance ---- the other kink i run into is - i might not have been on the cpap long enough ---

I did everything right and early and here we are in the final days running around and by the way - INSURANCE STILL HASN'T APPROVED IT because they cant submit the package to my ins co until after my last nutritionist class which is tomorrow night. (oh! and to top it off! I gained weight!)

Words of encouragement anyone?!?!? ! ! :(

Renee!! I'm so sorry you're having to go through all this right now!! This whole process of jumping through insurance hoops is so stressful!! Is there anyway you can get on a waiting list with your pulmonoligist office so if someone cancels an earlier appt you can get in before the 17th? I have a cpap that I never wear...I hope they don't say anything to me about it!!! This is such a hard time of year to have our final appts (mine's tomorrow too) with all the food from the holidays. My surgeons office though wasn't too concerned about any weight gain so hopefully yours wont be either! I know its hard but try to stay positive...it will all work out!! Let me know if you need to chat/vent!!

Txsnow, I had the shakes and headaches too for the first couple days. When it would get bad I would drink a cup of coffee with a little bit of real sugar, truvia, and Protein Powder. I think my shakes were carb and sugar withdraw so this made it a bit easier.

I had the same problem, I refused the sleep machine!, I understand how you feel I am getting banded 1/6/2011 this Thursday ,hang in there it's all B. S. You just be active and do what they say.ask lots of questions they never told me about I had to use the cpap. Hang in there and good luck!!!!!

Hi All,

I'd like to join this "band" wagon! :) I get banded on Jan. 25. I have Blue Cross so the insurance was pretty easy. In fact I have not heard anything about it at all. The doctors office loves to work with them as I guess they are the "gold standard" as they put it. My 10 day pre op diet is coming on the 15th and I'm so so so nervous about it. The nutritionist (Nut) has said that I must have 3 servings of milk, yogurt or cottage cheese (or ricotta, but no thanks!), and 1-3 shakes (going to try Carnation Instant Breakfast (no sugar added kind) this week) per day, otherwise its broth, crystal light, sugar free soda, popsicles Jello etc. Oh boy. I think I'm going to buy a big back of ice to chew on so I can chew on something!! I have an appointment with the pych on Thursday and my final appt with the doctor to go over all the results on the 19th, then surgery on the 25th! I have an ok support system. My husband would support me in anything, but he's extremely worried about "surgery". Thinks that if I would just work out more, harder, longer, whatever I could do this on my own. So that makes it a bit harder. "I support you, but I think your making a mistake" is not really support. So I'll probably be here getting my support. So nervous!!

Nicole

Hi all!

I have been jumping through the insurance hoops for 6 months, but that FINALLY ends this Friday when I have my last weigh-in. YEAH!! I've met my weight goals, so I really hope that will be all I have to do before surgery. Can you believe that I haven't even met my surgeon yet? From what my PCP tells me he doesn't bother meeting with patients until they have been approved. They say it won't take long once I'm past the ins hurdle, so I hope to be a Jan banster, too. I haven't had to do any other tests (sleep, psyc, etc.) Do you think that will come later, or do some Drs not require it?

Wish me luck!

Try to get your hubby to support you....any support groups in your area....

Also, I am on day 8 of 14 on my preop. I am taking the sugar free carnation mix. I really like it....ONLY when I blend the milk and powder with ice. Like a shake. If not I thought it was too chocolaty and a weird smell..once i ffigured that making them into shakes was yummy...Im sooo ok with them now. All I get is 2 shakes and a 300-400 cal meal. So the shakes are important for me. Plus I found a milk in our area that is fat free but they add protien to thicken it up like 2%. It is AWESOME...the whole family is on it now. Good Luck!

Hi All,

I'd like to join this "band" wagon! :) I get banded on Jan. 25. I have Blue Cross so the insurance was pretty easy. In fact I have not heard anything about it at all. The doctors office loves to work with them as I guess they are the "gold standard" as they put it. My 10 day pre op diet is coming on the 15th and I'm so so so nervous about it. The nutritionist (Nut) has said that I must have 3 servings of milk, yogurt or cottage cheese (or ricotta, but no thanks!), and 1-3 shakes (going to try Carnation Instant Breakfast (no sugar added kind) this week) per day, otherwise its broth, crystal light, sugar free soda, popsicles Jello etc. Oh boy. I think I'm going to buy a big back of ice to chew on so I can chew on something!! I have an appointment with the pych on Thursday and my final appt with the doctor to go over all the results on the 19th, then surgery on the 25th! I have an ok support system. My husband would support me in anything, but he's extremely worried about "surgery". Thinks that if I would just work out more, harder, longer, whatever I could do this on my own. So that makes it a bit harder. "I support you, but I think your making a mistake" is not really support. So I'll probably be here getting my support. So nervous!!

Nicole

Hi, Im also for the 25th!!!! I start my preop on the 11th and have tried the Unjury Protein which was recommended by my nutritionist its very good!!!

Try to get your hubby to support you....any support groups in your area....

Also, I am on day 8 of 14 on my preop. I am taking the sugar free carnation mix. I really like it....ONLY when I blend the milk and powder with ice. Like a shake. If not I thought it was too chocolaty and a weird smell..once i ffigured that making them into shakes was yummy...Im sooo ok with them now. All I get is 2 shakes and a 300-400 cal meal. So the shakes are important for me. Plus I found a milk in our area that is fat free but they add protien to thicken it up like 2%. It is AWESOME...the whole family is on it now. Good Luck!